Hey!

I started to play the guitar for about 2 month ago and I am realy enjoying it!

My problem is that I get blisters(even as i have callus on my fungers) VERY easy on my fingers when I play songs with flick offs, like in Sweet Home Alabama. This makes it hard to practice as much as I want.

My skin are extra(vary) sensitive becourse of a disease and I am afraid that this will stop me from playing as much as I want.

Is there somthing that could help me? I have looket at these:

But thay my bo to thick to play with?

It would be grate if the protection would be thinner and give just the right feel.
I know Tony Iommi had fingercap thingies custom made for him.. but he lost his entire fingertips in an accident. But there ya go, it can work. Altough Tony wasn't really shredder.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Iommi only lost the "very" tips of two of his fingers on his left hand. He soldered plastic bottle caps to fit his finger, so you could try that, or wait till you get calluses.
I've had this problem before, and my fingers aren't even sensitive.
I can't really suggest much, but trust me, you'll lose tone and feeling with them.

My suggestion is just tone it down a bit, don't play so hard, real callouses can take up to 4 months to form. Also try lighter gauge strings, this will help ALOT.
Thanks!

But I am already having calluses from playing, but as I said, my skin are vary sesitive becourse of the disease so I may have to use som protection. The questions is what protection could work best?

I have also find these products : http://www.suzukilatex.com.my/product.htm#

Some of the problem would probely go away if i could replace the flick offs with somthing else, buts that dosent simes possible.
Last edited by snowjim at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by snowjim
Thanks!

But I am already having calluses from playing, but as I said, my skin are vary sesitive becourse of the disease so I may have to use som protection. The questions is what protection could work best?

I have also find these products : http://www.suzukilatex.com.my/product.htm#

Some of the problem would probely go away if i could replace the flick offs with somthing else, buts that dosent simes possible.

Those look pretty cool! Kinda like finger condoms.

But I have to ask, how do you do your pull-offs (I assume that's what you mean with flick offs)? Pulling off shouldn't hurt, maybe you're not doing it right. It shouldn't require any more pressure than simple holding down the string at a fret (less in fact).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I diddent know that there is extra light string, It could help. I vill investigate this(I supose this is for electric guitars?).

Is extra light strings effect much on the sound?

Flick offs are likely the right word. I place my finger on the string in the specifik fret and den pull the finger down until the finger lose the contact with the string, this will get the string in a sway. To get a solid sound I need to push my finger hard against the fret board in the same time that I pull my finger down.

Becourse of the disease I do not have the posibility to use the nails for the flick of(or hand pickings)
Okay after seeing that message.

Two months of callouses isn't enough, what your doing will cause blisters no matter what disease you have, just try not to do it as much. Play other songs until your callouses are fairly hard.

If you must play those I suggest you not play for sustained periods of time (what your doctor would say) When I was playing for two months i was getting blisters still from doing flick offs.
NOSE PICKING IS GROSS! Fingerpicking is NOT!
Quote by Kanthras
Kinda like finger condoms.
Last edited by InsaneWeTrust at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by turtlewax
Iommi only lost the "very" tips of two of his fingers on his left hand. He soldered plastic bottle caps to fit his finger, so you could try that, or wait till you get calluses.

Was actually his right hand :P

He's lefthanded
you could try putting superglue on the tips of your fingers or something, I've always heard that that was the old-school remedy.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
you could try putting superglue on the tips of your fingers or something, I've always heard that that was the old-school remedy.

krazy glue. bonds instantly to skin and it forms a nice solid surface to protect yr fingers. i've used krazy glue when i was first starting out playing a long time ago.

krazy glue also saves you from trips to the hospital if you need to get stitches. DIY stitches ftw!
Tap your fingertips on the top of a hot stove.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
yea dude just give it time...soon enough your fingers will harden over...if not then go for some lighter strings or that finger protection stuff and see how well it plays out....try out elixir strings with anti-rust so the strings always stay smooth
Quote by diditfortehlulz

I think he is trying to avoid pain...
Gear:
Squier Strat
Fender 15w amp
Dunlop Crybaby
Was actually his right hand :P

He's lefthanded

Damn I knew that as well, being a big Sabbath fan. I'm just so used to refering to the picking hand as the "right" hand and the fret hand as the "left" hand
protection? who is this fine woman?
Guitars
washburn x50 pro
jackson js30dk
epi lp 100
jt-res

Effects

zvex FF
digitech ex-7
bespeco volume pedal
boss sd-1
ehx double muff
marshall echohead
behringer cl9
korg mini kaoss pad

Amp
fender champion 300
finger protection? like gloves?
Guitar:
Ibanez S-Series 7 String
Pedals/other:
Morley Power Wah Volume
Gemini Dual Channel EQ
Boss TU-2
Amp:
Peavey 5150 120 watt combo (considering sale)
Are you asking if you should use a condom or not,but you're afraid you'll be made fun of by the pit?
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by Wstornado9
I think he is trying to avoid pain...

It doesn't hurt, unless you leave them on too long.

I do it, and I've never had tougher calluses in my life.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by diditfortehlulz

wouldnt that hurt like a son of a b**ch?
try hybrid slinkies from ernie ball they might help you as well and see a doctor and ask him about it sorry about you disease dude that suck and dont give up because of that!
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Okay... I'm sorry... But my understanding of PC is that your nails are thicker and your skin is thicker... So in fact you should be much much better at playing guitar then we are.

For everyone else, there's two types of PC, PC1 and PC2, it is a very very rare disease as he said but the predominant features common to both types are thick nails (hypertrophic nail dystrophy), thick skin on the palms and soles (focal palmoplantar keratoderma) and a white outer layer on the tongue and cheek (oral leukokeratosis).

What your getting is what anyone get's from flick off's even i get it quite regularly.
Quote by Kanthras
Thanks!

Thats right my skin is thicker but it´s also much more sensitive under the callus. I am afraid that the callus become so thick that it cracks(like on my feets). Even with thick skin I am easely getting blisters deep down under the callus.

But I will go on and see how this plays, maby it will adjust it self better then it does on my feets. If there is still problem after 4-5 month I will try the finger protection thing and lighter strings.

And for now, I will learn songs with much less flick off´s.

Thanks for all help.
Try moisturizing your callouses that will help alot.
Quote by Kanthras
Are you using light guage strings? Pull offs do sometimes eventually start to hurt after youv'e done them all day, like trilling exercises.
When I first started playing guitar I played so much that I cut my fingers up but loved playing guitar so I just kept playing with my cut fingers until they got harder. So if it doesn't hurt to bad you should probably just keep going and your fingers will get stronger. But I don't know much about your disease so if it's really hurting that bad maybe you need those finger condoms.
Just practice, but don't practice past the point where it hurts too much. You'll know when this is. You can get scarring, which is good.
Even if you want t practice, just man up a little bit, and play through it if you're really that desperate to improve, but it won't help the callouses that you're trying to get. It takes a year or so, and even then, you will still get blisters.

MONSTA EDIT:

Quote by fenderwiz
Your fingers are supposed to get hard so that it is painless when you play.

Not necessarily, I've played for 5 years, and my fingers still hurt if I play acoustic for a day or two non stop. You get callouses, sure, but they will break up and should come back thicker. There's a difference between having a blister, and having a callous, a callous looks thicker and is more white.
Last edited by ze monsta at Apr 3, 2008,
I play around 30-60 min a day and if i dedicate all the time to a song like Sweet Home Alabama(with alot of flick off´s) then I get blisters and can´t play guitar for a couple of days.

The blisters are always beneath the callous. The callous are thick and transparent but becomes white when I play.

I will as I said, let the time go and practice as much as I can on songs with less or no flick off´s , and then hopefully I will be able to play songs with more flick off´s later on. If not, then I will have to look at some alternatives like the product I shown in my first post and ofcourse lighter strings.

Thanks!
fight the pain,

in fact i miss the beginners feel...

super glue ?..

if you ever bite your finger and around your fingers you are bleeding, super glue stops that fast as well.