Just came to re-stringing my Fender Strat (1 year old Mexican), i notice the screw on the faceplate just underneath the neck has begun to start rusting. Aesthetically it does not bother me but i just wondered if theres a chance it could severely effect the guitar in the long run

should i replace it/take it out/leave it?
there is a chance that if it continues to rust that it'll stick in there. possibly causing problems if you ever needed to get to the wires / pickups inside if they go bad.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
aaa right, thanks lads ill probably consider changing it next time i restring (y)

is it just a generic screw? or do i have to buy some fancy sort?
they sell pickguard screws in guitar parts stores and on line.

the screw isnt going to cause a problem, but i wonder why the screw rusted.
might be a fluke, but make sure you arent keeping that guitar in a too humid area.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If it isn't too rusted (I.e. isn't completely rusted just started rusting use a silver polishing cloth to scrape off the excess rust and try not to sweat on your guitar as much (guessing this is what is causing the rusting).

And yes i know the silver polishing clothes cure everything!

If not just replace your guitar screw next time you re-string.
NOSE PICKING IS GROSS! Fingerpicking is NOT!
Quote by Kanthras
Kinda like finger condoms.
aye, its only beginning to go rusty on the top, it doesn't really look like its about to start eroding away, ill probably get round to changing next time i restring if it gets any worse

thanks for all the advice people