Page 1 of 51
Just a thought I had, but is being a mod or an admin stressful? I've never really known whether you enjoy doing it, or you just do it because you want to keep this community clean and spam free. Have you ever had to tackle some extreme cases of spam; and what, if so?

Basically, is the job of a mod/adimin difficult and stressful? Or easy, and fun?

i like this thread, actually.. i also want to know
all roads lead to rome
Yes they have, it's not just "Oh look I'm a mod, ololo, ban.." They keep everything clean in order to not become a bloody spam forum
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Pretty fun. We have a good staff.

If it starts to stress you out you just close the browser... It's not like we have targets to meet.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Pretty fun. We have a good staff.

If it starts to stress you out you just close the browser... It's not like we have targets to meet.

Ahhh, okay. So it's not like you actually have to stay on the site for a certain amount of time checking if everything's alright?
hey rankles, do you earn anything, being an admin and all? i know zappp does, cuz -duh- he runs this joint, but i heard you pr Cas were something like the American corespondent? i know Wahappen used to be.
Cas is the American Advertising guy and is the only one outside the Russian staff who is on the payroll, but then he's actually making the site money. He sorts out all the advertising deals for the Western visitors. I'm from the UK, and neither me or Wahappen do this for money. Forum admin is actually totally different from modding. We handle modding users, creating forums and behind the scenes problems that occasionally crop up. Aside from being different, it's certainly no more strenuous or time consuming.

The Russian team do all the server maintenance and advertising things as well as handle every major aspect of the site such as columns and news etc so that's why there are quite a few of them.

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Ahhh, okay. So it's not like you actually have to stay on the site for a certain amount of time checking if everything's alright?

Nah it's more like a management role. So long as things are running smoothly and everyone's doing their job you're doing your job right.

Fortunately we have a good staff at the minute and the Smods know as much about the site and userbase as I do so it's running well.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Pretty big now, yeah. Used to be just Zappp and his guitar tabs

It's actually the biggest music website in the Western world. It would be the biggest in the world if it wasn't for some bizarre Indian music site which has a phenomenal amount of traffic.

We're bigger than MTV.com in terms of traffic!
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles

It's actually the biggest music website in the Western world. It would be the biggest in the world if it wasn't for some bizarre Indian music site which has a phenomenal amount of traffic.

That's awesome.

Zappp's done well for himself. I bet he never thought it would end up this big!

And all the revenue is made from advertising?
Quote by Rankles

Probably because a lot of MTV fans can't spell MTV, let alone get to its website
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
Probably because a lot of MTV fans can't spell MTV, let alone get to its website

Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by Rankles

I don't see the relevancy. I thought we were comparing UG to music sites.
Hi, I'm Peter
When i first saw the thread title i was like 'no wai not another scoopy'. Then i saw the TS and was like 'damn'.

Why would anyone want to be a mod?
I cant wrap my head around what it must take to make it work so thanks for the effort, you all have made this a great place.
Quote by Minkaro
I suppose there are days when you open up your e-mail service to find a string of e-mails with reports in.

Only 13 when I opened up my email this morning after sleeping, which is a record low. Usually if I spend a few hours away I'll have 60-80 reports that have been made in the Pit while I wasn't here. But every Pit mod receives them regardless of whether you're logged in/active/etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Only 13 when I opened up my email this morning after sleeping, which is a record low. Usually if I spend a few hours away I'll have 60-80 reports that have been made in the Pit while I wasn't here. But every Pit mod receives them regardless of whether you're logged in/active/etc.

Damn. So I suppose it can get pretty hard....
Quote by Dirk Gently
I don't see the relevancy. I thought we were comparing UG to music sites.

Touché..
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Rankles
Strangely enough, we also get more traffic from Argentina than from the UK.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/ultimate-guitar.com

Chile is second to the U.S.??

that is bizarre
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Rankles
Strangely enough, we also get more traffic from Argentina than from the UK.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/ultimate-guitar.com

Quote by Carswell98
Chile is second to the U.S.??

that is bizarre

Look up any big website (flickr, google, deviantart, gamespot) and you'll see chile in the top 4 countries traffic come from.

I don't know if those guys surf alot or if it's traffic being relayed from chile
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Look up any big website (flickr, google, deviantart, gamespot) and you'll see chile in the top 4 countries traffic come from.

I don't know if those guys surf alot or if it's traffic being relayed from chile

Turkey is the biggest searcher of Doritos I seem to remember, and "Big Gay Al", my friends brother is extremely popular in Venezuela

I spend too much time on it

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Dirk Gently

Ah, I'm happy to say I don't have that trouble. The users on the forum I moderate don't seem to know there is a report button.

Which leads to flame-wars, but it's a small enough forum to sort those out with a couple of warnings

And if I'm not mistaken, quite a few mods moderate multiple forums, so they must get even more e-mails.
Quote by Minkaro
Ah, I'm happy to say I don't have that trouble. The users on the forum I moderate don't seem to know there is a report button.

Which leads to flame-wars, but it's a small enough forum to sort those out with a couple of warnings

And if I'm not mistaken, quite a few mods moderate multiple forums, so they must get even more e-mails.

S-Mods....

Oh, and Andrewbiles. I bet he get's tons.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
S-Mods....

Oh, and Andrewbiles. I bet he get's tons.

yeah he mods the entire B & A section

that has to be hard
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by Minkaro
It's probably mostly from the metal forum, reporting Avenged Sevenfold threads

Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Thanks for the info Rankles and Dirk. The site wouldn't be the same without the mods...I mainly stay in Bass but anarkee and Fbsa are like parents in there haha

Well, more anarkee than Fman - he's more like a retarded little brother but we still love him
It's not really stressful (I"m not a really a mod, but i'm still contrubiting).

I only clean the columns and usually I find myself looking at spam and going 'i really wish I could get rid of that... oh wait, I can! :O' and then I have to finish the whole page or I feel ...

unfulfilled.

Aside from that, as rankles said, if I can't be arsed... I just click the wee 'x'.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
That actually impresses the hell out of me that a guitar tab site gets this much traffic... The world has more musicians then what I thought.

Are you guys going to sell out to google or yahoo if they offer you billions of dollars?
Quote by dannyniceboy
That actually impresses the hell out of me that a guitar tab site gets this much traffic... The world has more musicians then what I thought.

Well, it isn't just that. Take me for example, I know bugger all about music in a theory sense, but I can discuss bands quite happily. There may be other people who come here to discuss bands.

Then again, you've got S&L for the creative people.
Quote by Minkaro
There may be other people who come here to discuss bands.
That's the only reason I come here.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Gotta love the UG.

It is the best general Music/gear discussion on the interwebz imo.

I have been on others for a while but their just isnt a community feel like there is on this site. Most of the mods/admins are really down to earth and they most times communicate with the users which is a nice thing.

Long live UG