...I sold my Blackheart, and I bought a used Fender Pro Junior off of eBay. This isn't much of a mistake in itself as I really like the tone of the Fender, but there is a problem with the amp that seems to be the scourge of the Pro Junior.

There is a REALLY bad buzzing problem with something in the amp, which I think may be the bracket securing the preamp tubes vibrating off the tubes. It is noticeable after only 2 or 3 minutes playing, sometimes immediately and is also present even at low volumes. I had the chance to try it before I parted with the cash on monday night, but I didn't detect the problem, maybe because I had the blinkers on as I was excited about getting a new amp, but also because I may not have played it long enough for it to really become prevailent at the time, and any vibrating I did here I probably put down to stuff in the room etc.

I tried another Pro Junior in a guitar shop yesterday and it was fine, but I was aware from Harmony Central that this buzzing was an issue, but I thought maybe I got lucky with the one I bought, although obviously I was wrong. I tried the amp out with the springs holding the bracket removed as I initially thought they were the problem, but after two minutes the buzzing returned, to my dismay. Does anyone know how I could resolve this issue?

With regards to returning a second hand item, I have phoned the man's house but there was no answer so I left a message for him, but I will call again later. He seemed very nice and approachable when I met him, and he is quite religious so I'm relying on some Christian decency here (although I am a heathen!). Do I have any rights, considering it was a second hand sale? In my defense, the item was described as being mint, gigged a few times at church etc and under a year old, but the buzzing problem wasn't mentioned, and there is NO way he couldn't have noticed. So really, the amp wasn't as described.

I made a long journey to get the amp from his house as it worked out just as pricey to get it delivered, and if the issue can't be resolved over the phone then I will pay him a personal visit as I feel a bit cheated.

If anyone can give me some advice on:

*How I could resolve the problem with fixing the amp, if there is a hassle free way.
*Any more advice on returning second hand items, e.g. my rights, your own experiences

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I wish I'd just saved up extra for a Laney or a Vox now!

Sorry about the big post but I really need to resolve this problem.

Thanks,
Greg
Last edited by greggybhoy at Apr 2, 2008,
I would try to work things out with seller, as a first step. If amp was described to be in good working order then the seller advertised falsly. Of course since you tried the amp out, that makes things a little more difficult - since the seller could say problem happened after purchase.

Not sure about fixing amp?

Good Luck
With pretty much all used electrical components, they're sold "as is" and you're pretty much screwed.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I don't think you have any grounds on this one, try talking with the shipper and be an adult about it and something may be sorted, but I wouldnt be surprised if it didnt.
Referring to the TS' sig: No one has ever failed at humor as hard as you just did.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Pro Junior? If so, what did you do to remedy it?

Hopefully I can sort something out.
am i the only one who makes sure he keeps his amp before getting the new one - so the swap is overlapped and you dont end up in the shiitter?
Quote by Archeo Avis
Referring to the TS' sig: No one has ever failed at humor as hard as you just did.

yeah man, youre getting old!
Maby a tone knob is screwed?
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by davedoom
am i the only one who makes sure he keeps his amp before getting the new one - so the swap is overlapped and you dont end up in the shiitter?

I've still got a Vox Valvetronix kicking around the house. Also, I had to sell my old amp to get money for the new one.
Good news! I spoke to the guy last night and he's happy to give me a full refund! Wooot!

He was a nice guy when I met him so I was optimistic. I've got to wait til a week on Monday though, as he's away on holiday on Saturday, and work commitments mean I can't get down to his place before then.

Anyway, it's a relief!