I just received my Kramer with OFR yesterday, and I've noticed that when the main plate of the trem is level with the body, there isn't a ton of space for pullups.
This is my first FR, and I'm pretty sure its a Schaller OFR, so I'm not sure what I can get away with in terms of setup.
If I float the bridge a little higher so that I have more room for pullups, will this affect the durability or stability of the bridge?

Don't worry, pics of the monster are forthcoming and will be posted in a new thread once I get them off the camera.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
I just received my Kramer with OFR yesterday, and I've noticed that when the main plate of the trem is level with the body, there isn't a ton of space for pullups.
This is my first FR, and I'm pretty sure its a Schaller OFR, so I'm not sure what I can get away with in terms of setup.
If I float the bridge a little higher so that I have more room for pullups, will this affect the durability or stability of the bridge?

Don't worry, pics of the monster are forthcoming and will be posted in a new thread once I get them off the camera.

It should be enough. Is the Kramer routed so you can pull up? I know some guitars aren't.

But overall, parallel is good. Why don't you try to pull up and see if there's enough space for you?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
If the guitar plays money right now, I would NEVER compromise action for the sake of pull-ups.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
What you have to do is adjust the height of the bridge not the angle. The angle should be straight as you mentioned and in your case (or preference) you should adjust the height by using an allen wrench on the two poles that hold the bridge over the body (hopefully you know what im talking about) and that will raise the bridge and strings from the body and neck so that you get more space however you dont want to raise it too much otherwise it will affect the action of the neck so just move the bridge up a little and that should do it. Hope that helps.
Oh wait, I think I misunderstood I thought you meant finger pull ups (what was i thinking!). In that case you should angle the bridge a little bit upwards, which will change the action of the guitar, and THEN ADJUST the action a little to compensate for the angle of the bridge. So basically your action will be the same so that it is not compromised and the bridge is set up well enough for pull ups. Now that will help!
Last edited by TrasherFromHell at Apr 2, 2008,
Won't angling the bridge up raise the action?

Its been a while since I've seriously tinkered with a Floyd Rose, but from what I recall, tilt the bridge up, strings go up, not down.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by jm1681
Won't angling the bridge up raise the action?

Its been a while since I've seriously tinkered with a Floyd Rose, but from what I recall, tilt the bridge up, strings go up, not down.

Yeah i just edited that part on my post so now is correct.
The Kramer isn't fully routed for pullups, the cavity is basically enough that the trem block has some space to move inside the guitar.
When I got it, it was tuned to D-Standard, and somehow it was still in tune, so I re-set it up for E-Standard.
I have it set up so that the plate of the trem is perpendicular to the posts it floats on, rather than parallel to the body.
This gives me a little room to play with, and now I just need to sort out of the action.
For those wondering, this is an 80s Kramer not a new one.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
The Kramer isn't fully routed for pullups, the cavity is basically enough that the trem block has some space to move inside the guitar.
When I got it, it was tuned to D-Standard, and somehow it was still in tune, so I re-set it up for E-Standard.
I have it set up so that the plate of the trem is perpendicular to the posts it floats on, rather than parallel to the body.
This gives me a little room to play with, and now I just need to sort out of the action.
For those wondering, this is an 80s Kramer not a new one.

Then just lower the action. I don't know about those 80's trems if they're set up differently and the action cant be adjusted the same way, but if they can be then that should do it.
Seems to me like the posts it floats on will control that.

I now know why lots of guitarists shy away from floating trems.
This is a pita to set up.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H