Page 1 of 2
Such as drop D, C, B... whatever.

I play alot in drop tunings and I like it
Playing in standard for some clean stuff but most of my stuff is in drop.
Honestly? Depends on the application. I know that's kind of a vague answer, but it's the truth. For instance, if you're watching some local group play, and they've drop D'ed because it makes it easier for them to power chord or what not...not so much. But there's a guy around here who plays these really interesting acoustical guitar pieces in drop D, and I dig that. So, it's all in the application for me.
It's not because it's easier to powerchord. That's a misconception of use.
It allows use of powerchords that arn't really possible with standard, and it allows a player to play a step lower without tuning his whole guitar all the way down, and also allows different chording options.

before anyone starts a dumb rant we hear every time:
Steve Vai:: Bad Horsie: STFU. =]
And that's just one of many I could name.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Apr 2, 2008,
i like to but i cant be botherd since i got my OFR gee-tar. i realy cant be booshed with the spreing tension and such.
I tend to be in Drop D most of the time because a lot of my favourite bands use it. When I'm writing I like to use Drop D sometimes but I think using standard tuning can make me come up with some more interesting chord shapes rather than just using powerchords all the time.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Neat harmonics, easier metal riffs, fast palm mutes. I like 'em.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
alot of people over use drop tunings... but nothing wrong with standard tuning
I do most of my acoustic and elec stuff in drop C because I love the bass-y tones, but I also have a couple acoustics and a 12-string in standard. Really just depends on what mood I'm in.

On a side note, drop C + clean = win
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I don't like em, it prevents me from playing most songs in standard tuning. You can play any chord on standard tuning as well, most drop-tuning songs only use power chords anyway.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by -Collapse-
It allows use of powerchords that arn't really possible with standard, and it allows a player to play a step lower without tuning his whole guitar all the way down, and also allows different chording options.

+1
I hate the way everyone thinks drop tunings are just for chugging out powerchords and doing covers of "I cum blood"
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I play in standard about 99% of the time.
The other 1% is either half step down or an open tuning for slide.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by -Collapse-

I didn't say that exclusively, in fact, I thought I made it clear that I didn't like when it was used to just chug along. I think we're on the same basic page.
I play drop tunings for a lot of my heavier stuff, because of exactly that.... down-tuned guitars and a bass drum, just sound good together.... the lower the drop tuned the better. Also, I play a lot of open D as well.... really nice chordal patterns and progressions come from open tunings, even with high gain.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I dislike this "I can't be bothered to play chords properly" mind of dropping the E string.

However when it's for something like Vai's Bad Horsie or Building the Church it's all gewd.
^ Some of the greatest innovations were made with unorthodox techniques. Those who believe in a "proper" way to do something are sacrificing the fundamental ideology behind all art forms: to be creative.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
^ Some of the greatest innovations were made with unorthodox techniques. Those who believe in a "proper" way to do something are sacrificing the fundamental ideology behind all art forms: to be creative.

+1000000
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
when i wirte a song i write either drop or standard, depending on the feel of the song, for a faster thrashier sound i use drop, for the simple reason i can riff easier. then once im done i drop it a step and then again.. and just choose which one i prefer, so in answer....

i just use drop as and when its needed, its not compulsory
Quote by Garou1911
+1
I hate the way everyone thinks drop tunings are just for chugging out powerchords and doing covers of "I cum blood"

lol. I Cum Blood is in Eb.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I hate them, cos I have a tremolo...
Can't be bothered to set it to a different tuning, though... I like the sound of drop tunings
< Stop caring, start collecting >
Quote by Bazilisck311

I used the wrong words.

I meant, I don't like lazy assholes who can't be assed to use two fingers for their powerchords.
Just trying to be a lil' more classy about it
I prefer standard tuning and spend 90% of my time there. Though drop C is sexy at times. I dont really like drop D
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
yeah, the statement about being able to play unique power chords in drop tunings is invalid because you can play the same chords without one finger by tuning all the other strings down a step. so that part sounds like horse**** to me.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I like how they sound, but because of my LFR, it's a pain to retune all the time. That's why I leave my Dinky in standard tuning and my Yamaha RGX in drop D.
I don't mind them as long as their not killed, then raised from the dead, and killed again.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
I tune my les Paul to a half-step down. That is it. I can't tune to anything else and stand it for any amout of time. I like 1/s step down it is my favorite. and it was what my first guitar was tuned too, back when i learned blues.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
I write most of my band's songs in either Eb (Ab Db Gb Bb Eb) or Drop Db (same as Drop D but half step lower).

Personally I find that Eb sounds a lost more metal and badass than regular E.
I'll use Drop D (flat) vs standard (flat) when I want to play a song that sounds heavier.. I'm not really a big fan of tuning all the strings down too much because the tension gets really low and the strings get floppy (I use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings).

Also I feel like my tone gets a little muddy when I tune down too low (not a hardware problem.. I have EMGs / Blackouts and decent guitars/amp).
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by mazohysthoney
yeah, the statement about being able to play unique power chords in drop tunings is invalid because you can play the same chords without one finger by tuning all the other strings down a step. so that part sounds like horse**** to me.

Actually, using Drop D helps move the low note closer on the fingerboard to the rest of the notes, so that you can include some higher notes in the chord.

If you played those in standard, your hands would be stretched too far.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
I play in Standard or Drop tunings depending on what I feel like....."I like playing my acoustic in Drop D because of how dark the once E string sounds and I can make odd chord shapes....I prefer Standard so I can do power chords then do some straight 5ths....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by noodlegts
Actually, using Drop D helps move the low note closer on the fingerboard to the rest of the notes, so that you can include some higher notes in the chord.

If you played those in standard, your hands would be stretched too far.

that's true, but I'm talking about your standard 2 or 3 note power chords.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Bazilisck311

+34567898765435678987654345678987654345678

might as well close topic after that lolz!
i like Dagad and Drop D they are nice for playing like rock and alt rock but i like falt the best standard b is my fav tuneing i use for everything<3
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
When you drop D, you can play powerchords faster than you would with conventional tuning.

I like dropping down a whole step, then doing some sort of open tuning. This leaves room for the capo to do it's job, and for my strings to live another day.
I don't even shred
Quote by Local666Union
D standard tuning=win.

Indeed it is.

I decided to give it a shot after hearing some Insomnium and going "damn, I need to learn to play that". I've never been a fan of drop tunings though, just because I like keeping my scale shapes the same.

And to all those bitching about changing tunings with a OFR, you're complaining about nothing because it really isn't that hard. It takes me just just over five minutes to go from standard to down a full step.
Page 1 of 2