This was influenced by a thread I saw the other day about alternate tunings and basically the question im asking is:

Is it reasonable to have multiple guitars for the purpose of keeping them in different tunings?

I have an ibanez S prestige in standard and an old Yamaha Pacifica in drop C. I didn't buy my Ibanez for the sole purpose of having it in a different tuning, I bought it because I wanted a better guitar. However because of the floyd rose I then put my old guitar in drop C to save me time tuning and retuning all the time.

Do people buy guitars for the sole purpose of tuning conveniance?

Discuss
Some people do, but I don't because I don't have the money.
Touring artists do that alot.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
If you have the money, do it!
You will need higher gauge strings for lower tunings like Drop C and D Standard.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
i have a few different electrics and some acoustics in different tunings. i didn't intend that when i bought them but it's just sort of turned out that way as i've found which ones i like for different styles
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
new guitars depend on several things: necessity - tunings, quality. Aesthetics - look, tone; Ability - how much money you have, whether you are good enough to warrant spending money on more guitars.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
My crappy Peavey is pretty much my drop-tuning guitar. But I occasionally change the tuning of the low B on my seven-string to A. I also got a Squier Bullet which I'm turning into a project guitar, and I'm gonna be keeping that for a couple of very song-specific tunings (like C G D G B E, D A D F A E or C G C G C E).
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I do, my electric is always either in Standard, Eb Standard, or DADGAD

my 6 string acoustic is either in standard, open D, or DADGAD

and my 1 string always stays in Open C
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Yeah it's sort of turned out that way for me, i bought my Ibanez to tune easily as my Jackson has a floyd rose on it.
Squier Strat in standard, as it has the best acoutic sound for my guitar lesson.
Jackson in drop D because the warpig sounds dire in drop C or D standard, and i dont need to tune up for standard as thats what my squire is for.
Ibanez has 9's on it and use it for Drop C and D standard, as its easier just to change the low E than retune everything (like id have to on my Jackson)

In short, at first no but it is a really good idea, and if you have the money then by all means go for it.
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Don't you have to fix your intonation to play in different tunings? I know you can just use the tuning knobs to tune up and down, but to have it truly in tune you would need to fix your intonation every time, which is way more difficult than just buying a different guitar to keep in one tuning.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by figsandbobo
Don't you have to fix your intonation to play in different tunings? I know you can just use the tuning knobs to tune up and down, but to have it truly in tune you would need to fix your intonation every time, which is way more difficult than just buying a different guitar to keep in one tuning.

No, you can just tune down.
I've been here since '04.

its pretty much conveniance for me...i keep my Warlock in standard, and my Ibanez in Drop C, so i dont have to retune it every time i wanted to play a song that has a different tuning, like i would have to if i only had one guitar
93% of teenagers listen to rap music,if you are part of the 7% who listen to good music, put this in your siggy
Quote by Carswell98
I do, my electric is always either in Standard, Eb Standard, or DADGAD

my 6 string acoustic is either in standard, open D, or DADGAD

and my 1 string always stays in Open C

one string? custom...?
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls