Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a Ibanez JEM and a Strat clone. The Ibanez has the what has to be the hardest bridge I've ever seen to change the strings on. I mean, break a string, and grab a cup of coffee, cause your going to be an hour by the time you change all the strings. Whereas the Strat Clone has the "Through the back" Strings.

So my question, which is better? Both guitars sound great, and play beautifully. Thanks.
Neither is better, they're just more suited for different things. The JEM's bridge stays in tune very well and allows for some heavy wammy bar use while holding tune, while the Strat clone's bridge dosn't allow for such crazy moves, and won't hold tune as well.
Thanks for the explaining the difference, I was wondering why the different kind of bridges.
Well, the JEM is Steve Vai's signature line of guitars; if you listen to his playing, he does lots of stuff with the wammy bar that requires a double locking wammy system to stay in tune and hold up to rigours of his playing.

The Strat bridge is a classic (50's) design for a trem system, established before Steve Vai was born. Different times, different players, different demands.
Quote by Tacfire11
I mean, break a string, and grab a cup of coffee, cause your going to be an hour by the time you change all the strings.

Says the noob. An hour? Give me a break. 10 minutes to restring a floyd or edge.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by isaac311
Says the noob. An hour? Give me a break. 10 minutes to restring a floyd or edge.

Thanks for coming into Guitar and Bass Basics, and flaming.
Quote by isaac311

...but you have to have a set of wire clippers in your case of tool bag to cut off the string loops , loosen string lock blocks, insert string, tighten block, and so on. Since I have never done it before, it took me an hour (). I didn't want to break anything my first time.
You'll get the hang of it eventually.

I can restring a Floyd in the time it takes me to restring any other bridge type. You'll eventually learn to do it without even thinking about it.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by Tacfire11
...but you have to have a set of wire clippers in your case of tool bag to cut off the string loops

Not really, you can feed the string through the tuning post first so that the ball end stays at the post and the end with no loop goes into the bridge.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Not really, you can feed the string through the tuning post first so that the ball end stays at the post and the end with no loop goes into the bridge.

But some strings leave a few inches of unwound core at that end of the string.

Heck, I keep clippers handy when I string any guitar.