I was previously thinking on a Baritone guitar, specifically the Fender Jaguar HH Baritone. However, my interests got perked in various 7-string guitars, which, as you all probably well know, add another bass string below the standard E. This provides a tuning possibility (perhaps not the 7-string standard) that matches the Baritone.

So, I'm wondering which of the two I should get, or whether these are two very different guitars that are inapplicable to comparison.
How so? Do they feel a bit too long, like a bass guitar, due to the increased scale length?
After owning a 7-string and getting a feel for low range playing, I can honestly say I'd look for a baritone before I looked for another 7 string.

There is nothing wrong with them IMO, I just know I'm not maximizing its potential by a long shot. Until I need all 7 of those strings, I'm going to stick to six from now on.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I see... definitely not a beginner's guitar, or even an intermediate player's guitar?
If thats what you want it for, who's to tell you no?

My only gripe is that 9 out of 10 7-string users could probably get by with a Baritone, NO problem.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by G.9
I see... definitely not a beginner's guitar, or even an intermediate player's guitar?

well its not any more difficult to use it just different and if you were to play an A chord it would have to be barred obviously because of the extra 3 frets making it a Gflat or something. Baritone gives a different tone..very metallic. check out the dave matthews band song the space between for exactly what a fender baritone sounds like.

7 strings are useful as hell for me as i play some stuff in B some in E for metal, shredding is easier as you can go further with licks rather than moving all over the neck..2 octave major scale in one position for example. Downside is the classical wide neck which is a handful at times and i need to get locking tuners and an earvana nut as intonation and tuning can be difficult.

7 string chords arent always possible..eg normal barre chords cant be played on 7 strings many times due to the G string having to be detuned if you want a major barre chord.
Last edited by GuepaGuepa at Apr 2, 2008,
Imo if you don't need the high E string on a 7 string for solo's, go with a baritone.
Of course 7-strings are more versatile and future proof.
I bought a 7-string because my band plays some solo's on the high E string, so if you're into soloing go for 7
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
It seems like it'd be useful... it's almost like having two guitars at the same time, a Baritone and a regular combined. But I guess that was what i was for those 9 7-string users, "seems"...

...regardless, I still want to know which would be better. I'm against getting both.

Are 7-strings "restricted" to a certain genre of music?
Quote by G.9
It seems like it'd be useful... it's almost like having two guitars at the same time, a Baritone and a regular combined. But I guess that was what i was for those 9 7-string users, "seems"...

...regardless, I still want to know which would be better. I'm against getting both.

IF you ignore the low B string it's just a 6 string guitar in standard tuning, so no.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by G.9

not at all you get classical 7 strings, lots of jazz players use them. its actually good training to use them..when you go back to a six string it feels like a silly little toy that you can rip apart.
Quote by GuepaGuepa
not at all you get classical 7 strings, lots of jazz players use them. its actually good training to use them..when you go back to a six string it feels like a silly little toy that you can rip apart.

How about rock/metal? Does the thick neck facilitate that feeling of ease when going back to 6-strings?

Quote by GuepaGuepa
7 strings are useful as hell for me as i play some stuff in B some in E for metal, shredding is easier as you can go further with licks rather than moving all over the neck..2 octave major scale in one position for example. Downside is the classical wide neck which is a handful at times and i need to get locking tuners and an earvana nut as intonation and tuning can be difficult.

7 string chords arent always possible..eg normal barre chords cant be played on 7 strings many times due to the G string having to be detuned if you want a major barre chord.

First paragraph: My hands are very small, not to the point of Down's Syndrome, but very small nevertheless. On a keyboard, I can not reach farther from a C to a C# (an octave above, obviously). I can see where playability could be eased...

Second paragraph: ...but then again, I feel that the addition of a 7th string would be awkward in most regular playing situations.

Quote by Ventor
Imo if you don't need the high E string on a 7 string for solo's, go with a baritone.
Of course 7-strings are more versatile and future proof.
I bought a 7-string because my band plays some solo's on the high E string, so if you're into soloing go for 7

Quote by Ventor
IF you ignore the low B string it's just a 6 string guitar in standard tuning, so no.

Yeah, I guess a counter-example to the restriction of playing would just be the ignorance of either the high (for baritone) or low (for regular) strings. It wouldn't be as easy as playing a plain baritone or plain regular however, so I'm beginning to see the 7-string as versatile, yet an instrument for sporadic occasions.
why not fit your current guitar with thicker strings and tune B - B?
Quote by jimRH7

I've considered that possibility, but I play in drop-D more than anything, and probably standard tuning more than B. I also only have one electric guitar, so I don't have that much space to maneuver.
I think a 7-string might be the better choice for you.

6-strings when you need, 7 when you want
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
get a 26.5 / 27" seven string
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
RGs are typically pretty good 7-strings, Schecter is typically a good guitar all-around.

Try'em all, you're bound to like one of them.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I'd go with S, or the C-1.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tremolo bars are fairly easy to remove, right? Never had one or used one before. Looking at the S, the only one of the four that has the system.
If you're not comfortable with it, just go with a different model
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
It's not that I'm uncomfortable with it, it's just that if I didn't want to use it would it be easy to get out of the way?
DO you mean the whole trem system, or the bar itself?
BLACKENEDEDIT: The bar on a floyd rose-style system will swing out of the way normally, they aren't very tight unless you tighten them a lot.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 2, 2008,
Just the bar. Without the bar, you can't initiate the tremolo, right? I'm new to this, as you can tell.
read the edit, I misread what you said in your first post on this page.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I see... but to remove the bar completely? Would that be hard to do?
no, with an Ibanez trem, I think you simply pull out. if it has a thing on the bar that screws down around it, unscrew that then pull out.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'm pretty set on the 7-string, but please state a deeper reason. Concerning rhythm lines, what makes the baritone superior?
sorry for the nooby question but,

what the **** is a baritone guitar?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by jimRH7
i agree.. get a second guitar (maybe an inexpensive used guitar if you're just experimenting) and have it set up in B with heavier strings.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by octavarium78
sorry for the nooby question but,

what the **** is a baritone guitar?

Six-string, but tuned down a perfect fourth (usually), so BEADF#b. The scale is usually longer because even standard baritone strings (13 gauge on the high b) are kinda loose at 25.5" scale length, worse yet on 24.75". If you like loose strings (playing on 9s and such, or detuning on relatively light strings), it's not such a big deal but if you're like me and want some resistance in the strings the longer neck is a must. The shortest baritone I know is the schecter baritone blackjack, 26.5" scale length, and i've seen 29" scale before, maybe a 30".
i like the longer scale, personally. my fingers feel cramped above the 15th fret or so on even a 25.5" scale. the longer neck spreads out my fingers a little more, so it's more comfortable to solo in. i don't solo much anyway, and i don't care much for the super-high notes, but when i do it would help things flow better since i'd be more comfortable. i don't own a baritone yet, but i want one.
they work well for both rhythm and leads, especially if you wouldn't use the highest notes anyway. if you still want the really high notes a 7-string is the better choice. i rarely play notes above the 17th fret on any string, so it's actually kind of beneficial for me to play a baritone because i lose next to nothing but gain more low notes (which i would use). they're used in styles from jazz to metal.