Hi everyone

Was hoping someone would be able to tell me what the technique is called when the strum becomes silent? Jack Johnson uses it a lot as sort of percussion, just to break up the bar. I'm sure someone out there will know what I'm talking about....

Also, any tips for getting started on it? I'm self taught so any help would be appreaciated!

Many Thanks

Oli
its some sort of raking. youstrum a chord and then mute it with your right hand or you play open notes and mute them with you fretting hand. I think Jack Johnson songs or simple SRV songs like proud and joy are the way to go for a start.
Its called a scratch chord or a mute. You do it by resting your fingers lightly across the strings but not pressing them down, and picking the chord. It makes a chka-chka sound.
Palm mute.

Finger the chord normally and with your picking hand dampen the strings lightly right where the strings come from the bridge with the side of your palm and strum.

Maybe someone else can explain it better but i think youll get it
I'm Tyler
Quote by Octtwe88
Palm mute.

Finger the chord normally and with your picking hand dampen the strings lightly right where the strings come from the bridge with the side of your palm and strum.

Maybe someone else can explain it better but i think youll get it

..Or that. Do you have an example you can give to us TS?
If it's a Jack Johnson thing then it's most likely left-hand damping. Finger a barre chord, then simply lift your hand off the fretboard slightly so you the chord is still fingered, but not fretted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah it's not a palm mute. Jack Johnson does it a ton on "Flake". It's tons easier to do with a bar chord. All you do is play your chord but then let up off of your left hand so that all the strings are muted with your finger:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAWPVZ7A16o

He does that whole song like that. Every now and then you can see him just barely loosen his grip. That's all he's doing.

His strum pattern is kinda like "down down-up, downmute-upmute, down down down-up downmute-upmute-downmute-upmute", if that makes any sense. Listen for it. His right hand never changes, he's just playing a normal strum pattern.
Last edited by corndogggy at Apr 2, 2008,
Recommended threads
Ghost Notes
Daniel Quinn
Last post:
by Dave_Mc