So. I've been moving through amps like crazy, and I'm feeling the need to settle down. I'm looking for:

-Head. (I have a 2x12" nearing completion)
-25, 30, 50 watts. I don't want to worry about matched quads, if I can help it.
-Tube, or a great moddler. I'm open minded.
-Two channels, switchable with a footswitch, would be cool, but not necessary.

Tones? Think generic pop rock. I play in a cover band, so usable cleans are neat, as are generic JCM800-esque overdrive sounds. Mid gain is important too. I do NOT need to be able to play metal, thanks. Well, nothing heavier than 80's hair metal stuff.

So, GG&A, throw me what you can. I'm working with between $400-$1200, depending on weather or not I sell my Twin and Flextone. Less would be neat (rent, food, silly things like that) but I'm keeping an open mind.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'll be using this with a EXH Memory Man, a TS9, and a Fish 'n Chips EQ. Perhaps a Metal Muff, but I'm not crazy about it. Also, my regularly used guitars are an '83 JV Squier Strat, a Fender Aerodyne Strat, and an Ibanez DT-120 Destroyer.
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Apr 2, 2008,
JCM 900 perhaps?
Also look into Traynor heads maybe
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
yup, that's what i was gonna say. JCM900 ftw
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by the.spine.surfs

*slaps wrist*

1-Too metal.

2-Too..... Crate.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
I got my Splawn Quickrod used right at the top of your pricerange. 2 channels footswitchable, 3 gears ranging from plexi to hotrodded JCM800, OD1 and OD2 footswitchable for each gear, selectable 100W/50W power switch, and footswitchable solo boost. Does an awesome modern hard rock sound all the way down to classic tones, and a very decent clean channel.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I got my Splawn Quickrod used right at the top of your pricerange. 2 channels footswitchable, 3 gears ranging from plexi to hotrodded JCM800, OD1 and OD2 footswitchable for each gear, selectable 100W/50W power switch, and footswitchable solo boost. Does an awesome modern hard rock sound all the way down to classic tones, and a very decent clean channel.

If you get your hands on used boutique amps (like this) they'd be a great option
i play similar things to you by the sounds of it, and i'm looking into a JCM 900 (albeit the combo for cost and practicality issues...)
How digital does your flextone sound by the way? Just out of curiosity
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Not nearly as digital as I thought. I use it happily at practice in place of my Twin, would you believe.

I really think something boutique and used is pushing it. I need to pay rent, guys.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Not nearly as digital as I thought. I use it happily at practice in place of my Twin, would you believe.

I really think something boutique and used is pushing it. I need to pay rent, guys.

hmmm *adds flextone to list of amps to try out*
Yeah, i think the JCM would be your best bet in that case, or if you do wanna lower the budget, those crates are worth a look for sure...
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Perhaps a Traynor YCS50H is worth looking into.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by the.spine.surfs

why? if it's in your pricerange, they are a great value for the money IMO. You can find them used within the pricerange you listed, since they aren't as well known as some other amps like Mesa. They are hand built and tested, using all high quality parts, flying leads, chassis mounted sockets/jacks/switches, thick dual sided contact PCB. etc... I haven't seen anything mass produced that will compete for build quality in the same pricerange. All dependent on whether you even liked the sound of the amps of course, just don't rule them out before you even consider them.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
why? if it's in your pricerange, they are a great value for the money IMO. You can find them used within the pricerange you listed, since they aren't as well known as some other amps like Mesa. They are hand built and tested, using all high quality parts, flying leads, chassis mounted sockets/jacks/switches, thick dual sided contact PCB. etc... I haven't seen anything mass produced that will compete for build quality in the same pricerange. All dependent on whether you even liked the sound of the amps of course, just don't rule them out before you even consider them.

I was only ruling them out based on cost. If something boutique that I'd never heard of came along in the $400-800 range, I'd jump on the chance to play it and consider buying it.

EDIT: Hmm. There's a JCM800 combo at a nearby shop for $550. 1x12, that's all I had time to notice. Any idea what those run? Might be fun to build into a head.
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at Apr 2, 2008,
Ceriatone.com I'm getting saving for one of the Marshall copies at the moment. For a head, you'll be spending around $1000? Maybe a little less?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
Ceriatone.com I'm getting saving for one of the Marshall copies at the moment. For a head, you'll be spending around $1000? Maybe a little less?

your name = win
Thats all i have to say i'm sorry....

Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Hmn...the endless debate...do I sig that like everyone else on here that has been posted about, or do I not? Nah.

Seriously, check out Ceriatone.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.