I've started playing bass a few months a ago and i've quickly outgrown my 10watt unbranded beginner's amp. It's not loud enough to be heard in the band that i play in due to the two guitarists.

I need to get a new way louder amp, one that i can use for practising and the occasional gig. Any ideas?
whats your budget? where do you live? what amps are your guitarists using? how big are the venues youre likely to play at and do they have a full PA?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
something fairly cheap, probs up to £150
i live in london, so i'd probably buy from denmark street or somewhere else.
the lead guitarist is using a smallish marshall amp. The rhythm guitarist is using a 20 watt 'Earthfire' (that's what it says on the amp) amp .
and i'm not sure about venues, probably small clubs and places at first.

We haven't actually gigged yet.
why would you get banned for that?
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
i nearly got banned for a past thread.

I'm thinking of getting an epiphone ripper bass. Is this any good?
No, that is not any good. For small gigs, the amp in my sig is enough.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Ya, we need to know more tho.

What music do you play? Who inspires you as a bassist? What sound would you like to achieve.

I do agree with the comment above, a Fender 100w 2x10 or 1x15 would suit you just fine for quite a while.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
i play heavy and hard rock, plus some classic rock.
I'd like to play bass really fast, but accurate too, like John Entwhistle.
Quote by p0tat0nat0r
i nearly got banned for a past thread.

I'm thinking of getting an epiphone ripper bass. Is this any good?

Your last thread was about the orgasm note..... two other threads about that were also closed the same day.

I dont know what your current bass is ATM, but I would save the money and get a better amp. Instead of spending money on a new bass, add it to the amp fund
the fender rumble 100 is a bit expensive, is their anything cheaper? and thanks for the help guys.
Well the venues in the UK tend to be good so you'll probably have a PA to project your sound to the crowd and some form of monitoring. This means you'll probably only need 100W of power. Bare in mind you'd probably have to push this 100W amp quite hard.

Atm I use an Ashdown MAG 300 at 180W and it's plenty for venues around me (Leicester).

It also handles band practise very well and thats against, a drummer, two 100W guitarists (SS), and a 400W PA pumping out the vocals and synth.

EDIT - I've always gone used for my amps, you get a lot more for your money!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
thanks, i'll probably go for a fender rumble.

i think i'd need a new bass. I've got a cheap Benson bass i got on ebay atm which is terrible (broken knob, buzzy frets, muddy sound, i could go on...). What do you all suggest?
Quote by p0tat0nat0r
thanks, i'll probably go for a fender rumble.

i think i'd need a new bass. I've got a cheap Benson bass i got on ebay atm which is terrible (broken knob, buzzy frets, muddy sound, i could go on...). What do you all suggest?

I suggest new strings, check the wiring and solder joints, and a fresh set-up. Your local shop can do all this for you but for a price.
Take a look at this site for set-up tips and such.
it is made of plywood (horrible sound), so i though i wouldn't waste my time on setting up something so cheap and go for a better bass.
I would say the best bass in your price range is the Squire VM Jazz, I've played it and could barely believe it said 'Squire' on the headstock. And I'd save up a little more for an amp, 100w is barely enough, maybe an Ashdown electric blue (180watts with extension speaker).

Check it

That's only a little over your price range, pushes around 90-100 watts at the moment, get a decent extension cab for the full 180 watts until you save up the money to get a bigger amp(though I hear that the electric blue is good enoughas is for alot of people)
To the TS--you've asked a perfectly legitimate question, no one has ever been warned or banned for asking these types of questions. There was an issue with your other submission, which if you want the particulars of WHY it was a problem, PM me or one of the other mods here and we'll be happy to explain.

And I concur on the Ashdown. Its going to be the best bang for your buck and at a 180W is going to put you just at the base level to compete with the drummer and guitarists and be heard.
thanks for the advice. i'll try and buy the ashdown. However, my band has really got together in the last month or so and we're not that good. I might end up with the loudest amp in the group if no one else buys a proper amp. But meh, i'll take that risk.

But what about my actual bass. Do you think that i should buy a better one (epiphone ripper, fender precision standard) or just set mine up?

thanks
I hope it's within the rules to piggyback on this thread (I'm kind of a n00b) since it's pretty much the same question. It seemed like it was better to do this than make a new thread.

I need to get a bass amp since the one I was borrowing has been taken back by its owner, and despite the fact I'm getting pretty good at actually playing the bass (doing so for 2 years), things such as specs and maintenance of a bass are still new to me. I've played some live shows with a rock band at small-mid sized venues with PA systems, and am gonna be recording a CD with another band this summer. I'm guessing from reading this that I need at least 100w, probably 150-200? I was looking at the Crate BT100, but am I going to need to spend more $?
To p0tat0nat0r, on the bass you really need to try out a few. Despite owning one myself, I'm not a huge fan of the Epiphone / Gibson line. A Fender VM Jazz would do you well, but I strongly suggest that you take a few hours and try out a few basses in your local shop and then if you need specifics on pros and cons of your short list of favourites, come back here.

To KwikKopy. My advice is its better to put your upgrade focus on your amp, since it will have the most impact to your overall sound. My experience is that 100w amps are just not enough watts to cut it for anything but the smallest of venues. As I said in another thread 150W is the bare minimum that it takes to get over most drummers; frankly I am mildly regretting the cash I spent on my Ampeg B3158; while it is good for garage practice with my current drummer, its not really going to be viable for serious gigging, except in small venues. Just my 2 cents.
Personally I think you should pool all your money and buy either a bass or an amp, not both. And right now, it sounds like you need an amp more than anything. You have 450 pounds all told, which will get you a pretty decent amp, and you'll be shocked how much better even that ****ty bass will sound through it. If you put on new strings and give the bass a better setup to eliminate most of the fretbuzz I think you'll be shocked. If you have a muddy tone now I'd recommend some nice stainless steel strings.
Might as well go for the 15" tbh.

Will give you a fuller, rounder sound to it.

I'm a fan of 15's but using a 4x10 atm and tbh, i miss the fattness that 15's offer. 10's tend to be too lean.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
I'm a big fan of the SWR LA 15. Its not AMAZING sounding, but it sounds pretty good, even for someone like me who spends literally all day sometimes mixing down tunes and knows what good tone is. 100 watts, so it should pack a bit of punch, and its fairly durable.

EDIT: And you can sit on it if your office chair is falling apart like mine is.