Page 1 of 2
I've been practicing skateboarding since i dug out my old Flip deck, and have come to the stage where I can ollie perfectly almost every time, still or moving. Now I wanna learn the kickflip. Problem i'm having is, I can't actually get the board to flip. I figured that you have to flick your foot off near the bolts once you've popped, but it just won't spin when i try to do it. I've been trying for about four or five days now. Any tips?
stand off your deck and flick your flipping foot as if you have a spider on the end of it.... like right on the tip of your foot, then apply that to your ollie, this worked for me and my bro back when we used to skate

and good luck, the feeling of your first kickflip is immense
Go to www.skateboarding.com and look up trick tips for the Kickflip from Nick McClouth. He does some steezy ones.

Anyway, advice from me: ollie as you normally would, kick your front foot out diagonally and keep the board under you at all times.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Dont kick it down, slide your foot diagonally/upwards.

yeah i still do mine kicking downwards and i struggle to get them high

i'd give it time, took me months to get flips
practise pop-shuvits and manuals and stuff
just get more control
Heelflips are so much easier than kickflips. Unless we're talking double. Double kickflips are easier than single kickflips.

when i skated (might pick it back up in the summer) i never mastered kickflips for some reason, could do um mayb 1/10 times, heelflips was a different story, i had that **** on lock

just like jack sabback =)
Jack Sabback for the win. He definitely has the coolest name in skateboarding, after Arto Saari and Gailea Momolu.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Jack Sabback for the win. He definitely has the coolest name in skateboarding, after Arto Saari and Gailea Momolu.

The only skaters I ever heard of were the ones from the Tony Hawk games

Oh, and was it easier to learn moving slightly for you guys, or was it easier still?
I learned them by positioning my back wheels in sidewalk cracks. After I could do those comfortably, I did them while moving. Kickflips took me about two years to learn.

Now I can do them blindfolded while hauling ass.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I remember spending a many lazy spring afternoons in May mastering my kickflips when I used to skate. From what I've picked up, pay attention to the following:

1) Make sure your back toes are on the tail, towards the upper left corner.
2) Your front foot should be at a 45 degree angle.
3) As you pop, snap forward and slide your foot off to the side.
4) Tuck high, it's okay to over-do this step.
5) Stomp that board like it owes you money.
Its not spinning because your skateboard tail is on the floor when you spin, so try to spin AFTER you pop
hahaha if you're getting frustrated after 4-5 days, good luck.

It takes most people at least a month to get them down perfect.
but just flick OUT not down at the concave part where the nose comes down and flick hard. try to stay over it as best as possible and catch it on the bolts.

oh yeah save yourself some time and learn them moving slowly. they're so much harder to do stationary.
Woohoo.
Kickflipping took me close to a year to actually get down from the time i started trying. The best advice i can give you is to use a sawhorse, hold on to it while trying to do the trick. It helps you get control, and you can have a little extra air if you need it.

I quit skating a few months back...i really want to get started again but i need a deck and don't have the money :-\
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by darkstar2466

Ali Boulala?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

shift your foot forwards, not down, use the curve of the deck to spin the board.
Try doing it on the ground first while you sit in a chair. It helped me. I can do all kinds of crap when I sit in a chair.
Quote by JamieB
Ali Boulala?

thank god someone mentioned him.

i'd also like to mention a certain legend that goes by the name of Rodney.....
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Ali Boulala is a murderer.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Ali Boulala is a murderer.

excuse me?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by twistedmaggot
excuse me?

Perhaps you haven't kept up with skateboarding over the last couple of years. Go look up what he did.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Perhaps you haven't kept up with skateboarding over the last couple of years. Go look up what he did.

shiiiiiiiiiiit, i never knew that.

he's got mad skate skills though
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Quote by jeremessmore
now what if you can get the board all the way around and then it ends up inches from your feet?

then you still can't do it.
keep going.
maybe try jumpin forward or backwards with the board.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
pop it, flick your toe off the concave and lift your back foot up and bam you got a kickflip
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
It's all in days/months/years of practice. You just have to find the position where your kickflips flip under you.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
i learned them on carpet

man im starting skating again this summer, i quit to play guitar but i miss it too much
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I wouldn't be friends with him after that whole text messege thing... not because he's a a cheater but because he's a text-messeger
Quote by WaggyPlank
it took me like a year to learn how to kickflip.

yeah, im gay.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
how good are/were(in my case) you all at skating
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I wouldn't be friends with him after that whole text messege thing... not because he's a a cheater but because he's a text-messeger
name your most impressive trick in your opinion

anyone that says 900 gets an instant facepalm
Quote by dullsilver_mike
pretty much the only way to learn the kickflip is to get basic tips from other people then figure out the rest on your own. it is one of the hardest tricks to learn but once you get it down, you will start learning tricks really fast
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
The key to a kickflip is a good snap. People say not to kick down, but its more important to pop that beeotch as high as it will go. Especially when doing doubles, as you HAVE to kick down to get that much spin so you need the extra height.

Moral of the story, everyone does them slightly differently.
its 1:56 am and i just ate 6 chocolate chip cookies in not even near as many minutes
Page 1 of 2