so, I have 3 LEDs, a 9volt adapter (the thing with 2 wires that you plug a 9 volt into) a guitar, soldering iron, etc.

how would rig it so the 3 leds would be powered by this 9 volt, in my guitar, but only when the cable is plugged in?

2nd question..
what household things could a suitable switch be ripped out of, with which to make a kill switch?

thanks
Just wire the LEDs in parallel with each other connected to the battery. The long leads should be the positive one and connected to the positive (red) wire while the short leads should be connected to the black wire. You might want to throw a resistor in the circuit too, just to make sure the voltage to the LEDs is optimal.

As far as switches go, just dig around in some old electronics if you are really that cheap, you would probably be better off just buying a switch at radioshack or an equivalent or better yet getting a quality switch that will last and not make noise from a real electronic parts dealer.
Last edited by Axecutioner at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by Axecutioner
Just wire the LEDs in parallel with each other connected to the battery. The long leads should be the positive one and connected to the positive (red) wire while the short leads should be connected to the black wire. You might want to throw a resistor in the circuit too, just to make sure the voltage to the LEDs is optimal.

As far as switches go, just dig around in some old electronics if you are really that cheap, you would probably be better off just buying a switch at radioshack or an equivalent or better yet getting a quality switch that will last and not make noise from a real electronic parts dealer.

i know how to wire an LED to a battery..

my question was how to wire it so the light will only light up when the cord is in the jack in the guitar
Use a stereo jack, and ground the LED circuit to the ring lug on the jack.
The one with six is stereo, the one with four is mono. Doesn't really matter for your application. I can't tell by the picture; what kind of jack do you have? You want a jack that closes when plugged in. All the jacks I have of that type open when plugged in.
Quote by Losenger
The one with six is stereo, the one with four is mono. Doesn't really matter for your application. I can't tell by the picture; what kind of jack do you have? You want a jack that closes when plugged in. All the jacks I have of that type open when plugged in.

yeah, i rigged it up, and it turns the circuit on when the cable is plugged in, but the light is 50% as bright as would be if i connected it straight to the battery
Quote by vivalasoad883
yeah, i rigged it up, and it turns the circuit on when the cable is plugged in, but the light is 50% as bright as would be if i connected it straight to the battery

Quote by Axecutioner

What he said.
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
Quote by vivalasoad883
i have 2 jacks laying around, one has 4 lugs, the other 6...

which to use? and how would it be wired exactly?

the 6 lug looks like this

The middle lug(s). When you plug a cable in, it completes the circuit, and lights the LED. The same thing is used in most pedals.