how does the order of the pedals affect the sound?
i've always wondered that. doesnt it have to do with like...signals and stuff?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
each pedal alters the sound wave...the order you put it in is what the pedal is doing to the previously altered wave

for instance (to be simple) you have: phaser going into a distortion then you are phasing the clean signal and then distorting the phase.
but if you have a distortion going into a phaser you have distorted the guitar signal and then you are phasing the distortion.

I'm pretty sure that's right...
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Your guitar creates a signal... that goes into your pedals... and your pedals alter that signal... which creates the unique effects.... and then your amp does a little with the signal and amplifies.... then you hear it through your amp.

The order of your pedals DO affect the sound. Try it out.

But the order of your pedals does not matter. You can put them in any order you want; nothing will break or such by doing something "odd". You should note that some pedals "function" better in certain positions. For example, you will probably 'not' want to run delay at the front of your pedal chain (usually you want this at or near the end, because it will "delay" your signal after all the other effects; where as putting it first would delay it, then you would add other effects after it like distortion, which does not sound good). Another example is distortion pedals... you probably would want to run them before modulation effects (like flanger, phaser, etc). But it is entirely up to you.
The order of your effects chain is called the signal path. Think of each pedal as a shaper of your tone. It takes what you put into it, does X to change it, and passes it on. What is puts out will be a modified version of what you put it. Think about a chorus and an overdrive. Depending on the order, you may have a overdrive pedal distorting a "chorused" sound, which will sound very different than a chorus interpreting a distorted sound. Its not easy to explain, you kind of need to hear it for yourself.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by Rocketface2112
http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/guitar_effects_guide/ that helps, try switching it up you get some different sounds.

thanks for the link.

ok, i think i understand now. thanks.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
cool,i hope you don't mine me asking a question myself....anyways my crappy amp doesn't have a effects loop i was plannng on buy the line6 pocketpod. then eventually buy individual pedals.i already have a wah ,distortion,flanger. my question is where would i put the pod, after the effects or before them?
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I have a quick question as well. How does a seperate effects loop input in your aplifier head change the order of 'signal passing'? Meaning, If i run my guitar to my Overdrive to my delay to my amp, how would that be different than runing my guitar straight to the amp, and then the OD and delay out of the effects loop?