Recently I've put together a rig based on a lot of suggestions from those in this forum and the items I've been able to find on Craigslist for reasonable prices. I'm very excited with what I'm putting together as I know I can acheive a variety of tones, but I want some advice on what I can do to get a sound going in the direction thats a bit more low end, more of a chug to the palm mute, a more driving kind of sound. However, the reason I didn't specifically save/look for a 5150 or 6505, amps of that sort, was because that wasn't the full fledged sound that I wanted. Ideally I like the tone of bands like Saosin.

Guitar - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (stock pickups)
Head - Marshall JCM 900 4100 100w (switched to 50w) Dual Reverb Head
Cab - Avatar 4x12, loaded with (2) Vintage 30's and (2) G12H30's in X pattern

My buddy suggested switching to a Gibson pickup (I forget which) model which he's doing and I will listen to how that sounds on my amp as soon as his guitar gets out of the shop. I also have been messing around with EQ settings and whatnot. I think I've heard people mention different tubes will add more depth. Also, I'm not at all against getting some kind of pedal, but pedals/things of that sort are something I'm very unfamiliar with. Any suggestions modest or complex are greatly welcome. Thanks a lot

-Steve
a decent EQ might help you get that chug you want. just boost the lower frequencies.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
well you could just cut your mids down a bit and put your lows a little higher, or you can drop tune
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
well you could just cut your mids down a bit and put your lows a little higher, or you can drop tune

I've spent a handful of time messing with the presence/gain/lows and mids and I can get more low end of course but if I jack the bass and leave the mids too low I'm sacrificing a bit too much clarity imho. The chug is decent when I switch to rhythm on my guitar but I'm not digging the tone overall.

I think I can figure out more of what I want when in a few days my buddy gets his guitar back with the new pickup and I mess with that on my rig, but for now I was wondering if anyone who has this setup or has the same kinds of problems had something they tweaked that worked for them
How long have you been playing? If you suck at palm muting then it doesn't matter what amp you have. Also, have you tried heavier strings? They sound a bit thicker... might help.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
How long have you been playing? If you suck at palm muting then it doesn't matter what amp you have. Also, have you tried heavier strings? They sound a bit thicker... might help.

playing standard strings right now, been playing off and on 3+ years, been playing seriously for 9 months. What guage of strings would you suggest... I have toyed with the idea of switching to a drop C tuning which I'm not sure how thing of strings I'd need for this simply not to mess up my guitar
Quote by stevetheempire
playing standard strings right now, been playing off and on 3+ years, been playing seriously for 9 months. What guage of strings would you suggest... I have toyed with the idea of switching to a drop C tuning which I'm not sure how thing of strings I'd need for this simply not to mess up my guitar

Well "standard" doesn't really help. Do you know what the gauges are? If so then try jumping up a little at a time until you find something you like. Thin strings suck for metal in my opinion, which I am assuming you play considering you want to "chug."
Right now I am using Elixir mediums, I like them ok, I prefer Elixir heavy though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
IMO, I would try an OD pedal like an OD808 or TS9, and set the OD very low, with the level high. It will act as a boost pedal that way, and tighten and add a little hair to the sound. You should be able to adjust your EQ without losing a lot of clarity too. IME, I would try the JCM on the 100W setting. I think the low power settings do have their place depending on the headroom/tones you are going for, but for a tight, thick, percussive metal chug, I always seem to like the full power setting on the amps I've owned. The pickups can help, but that's more a fine tuning thing imo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
10-46... not going for metal like i said cuz i avoided getting a 5150 or amp similar, just want more beef for maybe a more rhythm guitar part of such
jcm 900 has an effect loop right? you could try throwing an EQ pedal in there. Danelectro fish and chips is like $30 and might be just what your looking for.
put in EMGs and get an overdrive.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
EQ pedal.
Boost lower midrange.
Profit!

Failing that, replace the pickups with Dimarzio Breeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
EQ pedal.
Boost lower midrange.
Profit!

recommendations for pedals? Danelectro Fish & Chips is 30, in another thread I saw the MXR M-108 Ten Band is $120 or so... any more suggestions on how much better the MXR is/is it worth it for 4x the cost
The rest of your rig is decent so I wouldn't cheap out on pedals, could always split the difference and get the MXR six band.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M109-6Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151103

The 10 band will naturally give you more options for tone tweaking. Of all the pedals you can get an EQ is the only one I feel can be considered "essential"...it's certainly the most useful pedal you can buy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 2, 2008,
preliminary searching around ebay/etc i can snag a mxr 109 for 70 and mxr 108 for 100... but another pick up would be 100-125ish so the question becomes is the EQ > or < the sound a pickup would generate
I can say categorically that something like a Breed in the bridge would give you more chug - however you can achieve a similar effect with an EQ pedal which will also do a lot more things.

Essentially all you're wanting to do is increase the prominence of the lower midrange frequencies in the overall sound. A pickup like the Breed is voiced to do that, but an EQ pedal allows you to create your own EQ curve. I'd say that the pedal would be the more cost-effective and also more useful option.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I can say categorically that something like a Breed in the bridge would give you more chug - however you can achieve a similar effect with an EQ pedal which will also do a lot more things.

Essentially all you're wanting to do is increase the prominence of the lower midrange frequencies in the overall sound. A pickup like the Breed is voiced to do that, but an EQ pedal allows you to create your own EQ curve. I'd say that the pedal would be the more cost-effective and also more useful option.

without a rebuttal, this is convincing reasoning for me