is there anything i should worry about if i get like a JCM marchall used amp? what can go wrong with them after a while? any wear or tear?
which JCM? Only thing that can really go wrong with older ones (800 and 900) is the tubes will need to be replaced. Oh, and, if you can, play the amp before you buy it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
people play amps from like, 1965. its fine dude. unless they have the self-destruct pots :P

but i'd mod it, and also throw some new tubes in.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Yes there are many tube amps that have lasted for decades. But like buying anything used make sure its not messed up.
My peavey classic is around five years old, and it works as good if not better than a new amp (the new amps don't have their speakers broken in right away )
Only thing you have to worry about are the tubes and if it was abused.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
depends how old it is. Something from the 80's is probably going to need servicing pretty soon if it hasn't had it already. Electrolytic capacitors have a limited lifespan, but it's a common job for an experienced tech. Tubes are a maintenance item, so they will need to be changed regularly anyway, old or new amp. Transformers are pretty bulletproof if they haven't been abused, and it's usually audible if something is wrong. Sometimes you can tell if the caps are going too, as it will get that annoying 60hz ground hum as the electrolytic dries up.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
people buy vintage all the time so i don't think you'll have a problem with a 5 year old amp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'd be more concerned about buying something younger than five years old.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Erock503
Sometimes you can tell if the caps are going too, as it will get that annoying 60hz ground hum as the electrolytic dries up.

Also farty bass, ghost notes, etc...

And Slats:

+1