I've been playin bass for about 10 months now (self taught) and I don't really know how good i should be. I dont have any friends who play bass at my level to compare myself against. I mainly play metal, punk rock, rock and abit of jazz.

any help ?
You shouldn't be comparing yourself to other people. Everyone learns at a different rate. As long as you are happy with where your playing is at then you're doing fine.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I think you're confusing playing an instrument with Guitar Hero or something. You're not trying to learn all the songs on "difficult" as quick as you can.
It all depends on how much per day you play on average though, and as long as you're having fun and getting a little better every time, you're doing it right. But if you need an answer:

After 10 months of playing (I was mostly self taught too) I was able to play most simple but fun bass lines after a little bit of looking at them ("Longview" by Green Day), and if I worked on a more complicated bass line I could get those down eventually ("Hysteria" by Muse).
do not compare urself with anyone jst have fun with ur weapon and dont ruin it by analysing wht u can play and what you cannot.....practice and time will get everything
best way to measure ur performance is metronorme,if you can play songs with metronorme then it wont b hard for you to know ur performance
You're as good as you are. It doesn't matter how you compare to others, all that matters is whether you are as good as you want to be and how good you need to be. Can you do what you're doing? Could you do it better? Always.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
sign up for the next UG Bass Forum's BassWars, and we'll tell you how good you are!

+20

Bass Wars = WIN

When you're just starting out, it's pretty standard to just learn songs in order to improve; and for a reason, it works. However, after awhile of that, learning new songs won't really improve you - get you better at certain techniques sure, but you will notice some stagnation.

My advice is this: at the point you're at, don't look at a song and say "Oh man, I can't do that yet." (unless it's like Wooten etc.) 97% of the stuff out there comprises very basic elements put together in a creative way. Flea is a great example of this. And by now, not only should you feel you can tackle any song through practice and repetition, but you should also start understanding WHY a bassist plays what he plays in a song, and use that to try to write your own stuff!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.