Alright, so I've got a schecter hellraiser avenger with the EMG 81/85 combo, its got a 3-way switch (one for each and then 1 for both). and they share the same volume and tone knob. So what I want to do is replace the neck pup with a passive seymour duncan but without replacing the 2 current knobs and without installing any new ones. Now I've heard contradictory things about whether or not this is possible this from my friends, so I figured I'd ask here if anyone has had any experience with this.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature
Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
I'm not sure how one would go about having a passive and an active pickup, i'm not 100% that's possible. If you're replacing both to be passive, I think it's as simple as changing any pickups out, just leave the battery part alone.
Before you remove or replace the 81 or 85, try the 18v mod. Just slap another battery in series with the current battery. It should sound a billion times better, especially with two pickups in there.

You can run active and passives together, but you have two options:
1. Run them with one control each, and use an ON-ON miniswitch to toggle between them. You can't blend the two.

2. Wire up a gain boost in series with the passive pickup, to run at the same voltage as the active (9v stock), essentially giving you two active feeds into the controls. Then, you can just use the two current pots and switch. This kind of defeats the object of installing a passive though.
You'd need to run two separate circuits and there would very likely be a significant volume difference between the pickups.
Quote by Widow6
I'm not sure how one would go about having a passive and an active pickup, i'm not 100% that's possible. If you're replacing both to be passive, I think it's as simple as changing any pickups out, just leave the battery part alone.

Well either way even if i were to replace them both out from what some pople have told me I'd need new volume and tone pots because they're different for the EMG actives than for passives.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Quote by GNRrocka
Well either way even if i were to replace them both out from what some pople have told me I'd need new volume and tone pots because they're different for the EMG actives than for passives.

EMG actives use 25k pots, because they're low impedance pickups. Passives generally use 500k or 250k, so a 25k will never cut the signal completely.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You will need new pots for the passive pickup, and the passive pickup will need independent controls from the active EMG. You can't blend them.

IMO, either go all the way passive, or get a different active EMG. What don't you like about your neck pickup?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

It would be less hassle to just try an EMG 60 or 89 in there - both of which are revered above the 85. I use a 60 in one of my guitars, and I much prefer it to the 85.
Well I play primarily metal and rock and ya the actives are great for metal obviously passives are generally better for rock. So if it were possible I was gonna try it but now I'm faced with either getting a different active pickup or replacing both of em with passives.

I was considering a blackout but I'm not sure if I'd have to replace the pots with that one aswell.. if anyone has used both an 85 and a 60, could you describe the tone difference? I'm looking for a heavy crunchy sound out of my neck pickup.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Last edited by GNRrocka at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by GNRrocka
Well I play primarily metal and rock and ya the actives are great for metal obviously passives are generally better for rock. So if it were possible I was gonna try it but now I'm faced with either getting a different active pickup or replacing both of em with passives.

I was considering a blackout but I'm not sure if I'd have to replace the pots with that one aswell.. if anyone has used both an 85 and a 60, could you describe the tone difference? I'm looking for a heavy crunchy sound out of my neck pickup.

I'll put it like this:

81 = sneeze
60 = cough
85 = fart

The 60 is smoother and has more punch that the 85, which tends to have too much bottom end, and sound a bit flappy.

Edit: The result is that the 60 retains its character when it's distorted, but the 85 tends to sound like a mess (for lack of the proper expression).

Also, just roll your volume and tone back to get a vintage rock sound out of your pickups. With the right settings, EMGs will do every genre imaginable.
Alright thanks, I guess I'll try out a 60, Thats been my problem, I'm perfectly fine with my 81 but the 85 is just to weak sounding and has no punch.

But seeing as I'm replacing an EMG with an EMG i won't need to replace the pots correct?
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL
Quote by GNRrocka
Alright thanks, I guess I'll try out a 60, Thats been my problem, I'm perfectly fine with my 81 but the 85 is just to weak sounding and has no punch.

But seeing as I'm replacing an EMG with an EMG i won't need to replace the pots correct?

Exactly, and if your guitar was made in the last few years, it should have the Quik-connect EMGs too, so you just unscrew the ring for one, unclip the wire, then clip the new one in.

On another note.. how about a pedal to fatten your tone up slightly for rhythm work, but still using the 81? That's another thing to consider, that might save you a few pennies.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you have a GT-8! So, yeah, how about a preset to kick some bass and a bit of midrange in for rhythm?
Well Ya I've fooled around with it and I can get it sounding pretty good, but I plan on getting a marshal fairly soon, in which case my GT-8 will only be used for effects rather than tone and I'll have to resort on my pickup to do that.
Schecter Fan Club!

My gear:

Ovation 2778LX
Boss DD-20
Kustom Quad 100DFX
Vox AD100VT-XL