So I've started messing with the electric, but I never learned to use a pick. So I am stuck fingerpicking (no thumbpick, no nails). How can I make the best of this situation? I am using a fender strat with a $30 marshall. The lower strings sound alright but the b and high e strings are really hard to hear. Any ideas on how to make this sound better?

Thanks
I suggest learning to use a pick
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Yup, using a pick.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Either learn to use a pick, or fingerpick all the way. I fingerpicked for about two years and had never used a pick, but after practicing for a month and a half or so every day with a pick, I could easily play. If you start using a pick, try to play EVERYTHING in alternative picking, will help a lot and you'll start doing it automatically which gives you a lot more speed.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
one name - mark knopfler

if you dont know who he is, be ashamed. look him up.

oh, and get a better amp.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
finger picking is really cool, possibly look into learning the hybrid picking though if you dont want to make the jump to picking
you can get some quite cool sounds if you fingerpick.

when i do it, its rarely in the traditional sense.

i stick on loads of rever, delay, chorus, flange, the lot, and just kinda tickle the higher strings with my index finger. means the chord kinda lingers without the attack and you can get some kinda atmospheric sounds. then throw in some different dynamics, properly fingerpick a few notes.

just play about.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Learn to do both.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
I usually use a pick, since I can use a much larger number of techniques by using it.

But I LOVE to turn on my 'Mark Knopfler' mode and just fingerpick all the way. It's so fun...
Sultans of Swing is a masterpiece, BTW. But if you see his live performances in which he improvises a lot, you'll really see what fingerpicking is all about.
i never use a pick. i finger pick too.
Chords, appegios, strum, shred, solo, alternate
chorus and delay effects and better/louder amp help me

of course i'm worried about shredding my fingernail down to nothing but i've got a whole box of picks here in case that ever happens.