well as the name suggests im kinda stuck on solos, i like learning these massive sweet leads which probably is the reason most of us started playing guitar but i'm having a little trouble, i have guitarpro so that helps me play slower and steadily get faster but i still cant get those little grace notes and trills and stuff like that, i decided to instead just cut those notes out and play it just as a single note, there's hardly a difference and i find it easier to play those solos now but i was wondering how important are grace notes, especially on my guitar they always just sound like little dead notes, the trills are pretty cool to but with most of these little things it takes a good listener to point out where they are, i'm in a band and i was just wondering if my audience would notice that the solo sounded different and if they would think less of me...a little paranoid i know, but still...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica (D'addario Flatwound)
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2
Montana Acoustic Guitar(Martin Regular)
Ehhh No I As Well Have Guitar Pro And Have Learned Solos From It And Some Parts I Didnt Understand And Like You Said About The Trills I Just Singled Emm And It Really Doesnt Make A Difference Unless Your A Dick And Trying To Point Em Out But No No Will Notice
thats an amazing run-on sentence!

if you are wondering about things like that: only the people that know the songs well and/or have learned the solos will know...
Quote by CowboyUp
You're only cheating yourself and changing, possibly for the worse, the music.

lol

+1
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by CowboyUp
You're only cheating yourself and changing, possibly for the worse, the music.

Paul Gilbert disagrees. He says the best way to get good is to make it easy.

Practice it your way a while until you get good at it and then add in the trills and stuff.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Paul Gilbert disagrees. He says the best way to get good is to make it easy.

Practice it your way a while until you get good at it and then add in the trills and stuff.

That's just it though- practice it until it's better. TS is basically saying he's just going to play it the easy way because "nobody will notice".
Your grace notes don't sound better because you're not doing them properly. This might be a fault in your technique or just lack of practise/finger strength. How long have you been playing and what have you been trying to do? Also what is your vibrato method and what fingers do you generally use for smooth legato.

Stop thinking about how fast you can play and start thinking about how well you can play.
At a gig it's much better to play something simple really well rather than to play something more complex and f*ck it up. Carry on trying to learn the solos as they are recorded but IMMHOHO you shouldn't play them live until you know you can't get it wrong.
thanks for the help, it could be the guitar too, the action on my guitar is kind of high so i cant even tap on my guitar, even people who are amazing at it cant tap on my guitar..
My Gear
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss RC-2
That's just it though- practice it until it's better. TS is basically saying he's just going to play it the easy way because "nobody will notice". i didnt nessicarily say that, i will throw them in after a while, as a guitarist of only 2 years im still working on all my techniques to get them up to a standard i set for mmyself
My Gear
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss RC-2
wow, a spammed thread in MT?

To t/s, alot of guys cant be stuffed learning solo's to songs and just improvise using the original solo as inspiration. Some guys who know the song well would know your not playing the original solo, but usually those guys are the same guys that would want a new fresh solo anyway. Everyone else wont be able to tell the difference.

And next time, learn to use full stops and paragraphs, that post was ridiculously hard to read.
Quote by Eirien
At a gig it's much better to play something simple really well rather than to play something more complex and f*ck it up. Carry on trying to learn the solos as they are recorded but IMMHOHO you shouldn't play them live until you know you can't get it wrong.

+1

Simple is fine, as long as you play it with feeling
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by SmashThings
+1

Simple is fine, as long as you play it with feeling

Urge...to kill...rising.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by demonofthenight
wow, a spammed thread in MT?

To t/s, alot of guys cant be stuffed learning solo's to songs and just improvise using the original solo as inspiration. Some guys who know the song well would know your not playing the original solo, but usually those guys are the same guys that would want a new fresh solo anyway. Everyone else wont be able to tell the difference.

that's how I've always felt (especially since I could usually not be able to figure out the exact solo anyway ). If you're doing a cover, why not put your own stamp on it?

And, of course, put a lot of feeling into it.
thanks again sorry about the lack of periods and paragraph's, i'm sick lately and i wrote it up while i was on my way out to the walk-in clinic
My Gear
Roland Cube 60 watt
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss RC-2