dont really know much of what a equalizer petal does. would it help out a valveking 112?
Are you happy with your tone? I have an MXR M108 and it's a very versatile toneshaping pedal.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
it gives you more control over the tone, eq'ing helps everything, period.
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by Nihil
it gives you more control over the tone, eq'ing helps everything, period.

cool! are the very difficult to use? so is it more of an overdrive type *PEDAL*??
it's not an overdrive, it just eq, eq and more eq control, but i do think there is a eq pedal with a gain boost on it?
An EQ is the most useful pedal you can buy, it'll give you insane amounds of control over the "shape" of the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it lets you shape your guitar sound much better through frequency boosts/cuts

you can make it sound more bassy or twangy or more or less anything if you learn to use it well, its harder than an overdrive since thats just a gain knob, but its not really that hard
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by steven seagull
An EQ is the most useful pedal you can buy, it'll give you insane amounds of control over the "shape" of the tone.

But it's worth noting that if you don't know how to use it properly it could end up making you sound worse.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i have a boss metalcore(love it) but its not as versitile as i would want it to be would a EQ pedal work well with a boss metalcore aswell?
Quote by timi_hendrix
But it's worth noting that if you don't know how to use it properly it could end up making you sound worse.

+1. An eq pedal like that is only useful if you know what the frequencies do.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
sorry to hijack the thread but what is the best eq pedal to buy? and how much do they go up in price??

Quote by timi_hendrix

Very true

I can manage to get some nice tones out of my VK112 using the EQ control on the amp but when I include the Boss EQ pedal in the equation I ended losing most of what I liked about what I was hearing because I didn't really know how the EQ on the pedal would affect my sound.
The reason an EQ pedal is so good (you might be thinking "I have an EQ on my amp, why do I need that overpriced piece of trash?") is because the EQ on your amp is most likely PARAMETRIC. This means that as you turn one of the dials down it boosts the others at the same time. So if you turn your mids down you're actually boosting the treble and bass frequencies as well as cutting your mids. Most (if not all) EQ's with bands simply boost the frequency you turn up (or cut as you turn down) and that frequency only. This gives you a higher amount of control over your sound, but also a higher margin for error, which is why they don't 'install non parametric EQ's on many amps.

EDIT: Just saw the title. The VK's EQ is definitely parametric.
Quote by xifr
+1. An eq pedal like that is only useful if you know what the frequencies do.

This is true, however it's not the hardest thing in the world to work out.

Step 1 - pick a slider
Step 2 - move slider
Step 3 - listen to sound
Step 4 - if sound is nice, leave slider alone
Step 5 - if sound is not nice, move the slider elsewhere
Step 6 - if moving slider anywhere makes it sound not nice, put slider back where it was and pick another one
Step 7 - go back to step 2

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The reason an EQ pedal is so good (you might be thinking "I have an EQ on my amp, why do I need that overpriced piece of trash?") is because the EQ on your amp is most likely PARAMETRIC. This means that as you turn one of the dials down it boosts the others at the same time. So if you turn your mids down you're actually boosting the treble and bass frequencies as well as cutting your mids. Most (if not all) EQ's with bands simply boost the frequency you turn up (or cut as you turn down) and that frequency only. This gives you a higher amount of control over your sound, but also a higher margin for error, which is why they don't 'install non parametric EQ's on many amps.

The Valveking doesn't have a true parametric EQ, only a passive one, which means frequencies can only be cut. Never boosted.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by bartdevil_metal

so with an EQ pedal, what should the amp EQ be at? should it be flat?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
so with an EQ pedal, what should the amp EQ be at? should it be flat?

They way I'd use it would be to set the amp's EQ to get the best possible tone, and then use the pedal to fine tune it and get it sounding exactly the way you want it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Would it work better to tighten up the amp than a OD like the maxon 808 or some other kind of tubescreamer