i have been playing for a short while and have been practicing some easy songs (sort of) but for these songs to played fully and properly i believe i may need an overdrive pedal.

what would be a good one for a starter, i would be buying this thing in about a month i guess. Even if i'm wrong about the songs, i'm going to head over to playing metal one day so having one handy wouldn't hurt.

the songs i'm talking about would One by Metallica and more importantly A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, i'm putting a lot work into learning A Tout Le Monde right now, but as fans of the song know it goes from a nice acoustic sound into distorted chords. I can only assume this action is done by an overdrive pedal. Same thing for the chorus of One and the ending half. (oh and the ending\solo of one is hard as **** but the first 5 minutes is pretty reasonable)

now i could be wrong, cuz i'm pretty damn new at this, but if its not an overdrive pedal what is it?

if it is an overdrive pedal again, what would be a good one for starters, and i'm not too concerned with price, but i'm not looking for anything gold plated if you get my idea.

thanks.
what amp are you using?
the Boss DS-1 is the standard distortion stompbox really, but theres a LOT of options out there.
the main factor is the price, and generally with this kinda thing... the more you spend, the better it will sound.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
what amp are you using?
the Boss DS-1 is the standard distortion stompbox really, but theres a LOT of options out there.
the main factor is the price, and generally with this kinda thing... the more you spend, the better it will sound.

what amp....lets see.

Peavey Rage 158. its a pretty basic amp but it suits my needs. i wonder if my dad has an overdrive peal lying around.....
Quote by tidus228
what amp....lets see.

Peavey Rage 158. its a pretty basic amp but it suits my needs. i wonder if my dad has an overdrive peal lying around.....

You should probably save your money for a new amp first. Overdrive pedals don't really work well with solid state amps and a distortion pedal for that amp would cost more than it's worth for upgrading that amp.
^ +1, but if you really want a distortion pedal, a Metal Muff would be good for you.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Geartrigger
You should probably save your money for a new amp first. Overdrive pedals don't really work well with solid state amps and a distortion pedal for that amp would cost more than it's worth for upgrading that amp.

i think the Peavey is a pretty perfect amp for his needs to be honest.
why not use the amps overdrive channel?
if you dont have a footswitch for it, you should know that a foot switch to change from the amps clean to overdrive channel is alot cheaper than a good distortion box will be
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?