What is the lowest D note on a standard-tuned upright bass (an orchestral bass)? Is it the same as the 10th fret of a bass guitar's low E string, or is it an octave lower? Also, if someone knows this answer for the Cello, Viola, and Violin, those answers would be appreciated as well. For the Cello, answer in terms of a Bass guitar. For Viola and Violin, please answer in terms of the guitar.
the upright bass is the exact same tuning as electric bass, so yes same low D

cello's low D is one step below the guitars low E (like in drop-D)

the viola's low D is an octave higher than the cello's and the violins an octave higher than that one

on general violin family tuning:
cello is like a drop-C guitar sort of, and the viola is an octave higher, the violins lowest note starts a fifth above the viola's
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What is the lowest D note on a standard-tuned upright bass (an orchestral bass)? Is it the same as the 10th fret of a bass guitar's low E string, or is it an octave lower? Also, if someone knows this answer for the Cello, Viola, and Violin, those answers would be appreciated as well. For the Cello, answer in terms of a Bass guitar. For Viola and Violin, please answer in terms of the guitar.

WAIT.................................

BGC has a question regarding anything to with music?
^ we are all shocked. in a moment she will come in and say that it wasn't really her, it was a friend. this has happened once before
Quote by Nihil
the upright bass is the exact same tuning as electric bass, so yes same low D

cello's low D is one step below the guitars low E (like in drop-D)

the viola's low D is an octave higher than the cello's and the violins an octave higher than that one

on general violin family tuning:
cello is like a drop-C guitar sort of, and the viola is an octave higher, the violins lowest note starts a fifth above the viola's
though BGC can do that all quick in her head...just out of my own curiosity would this be right?

Violin: lowest D = 3rd fret B string
Viola: lowest D = D string
Cello: lowest D = 3rd fret B string (on the bass)
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Violin: lowest D = 3rd fret B string
Viola: lowest D = D string
Cello: lowest D = 3rd fret B string (on the bass)

one and two are correct but the cello's lowest D is 7th fret on the bass's g string, or just the D right below the guitar's low E

EDIT: yes if you had a high B on the bass that would be right
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
I would use scientific pitch notation:

Upright bass: D2
Cello: D2
Viola: D3
Violin: D4

And the standard tunings if your interested:
Upright Bass: E1, A1, D2, G2