hey yall,
Ive been looking for a new amp, i would like a tube combo, and i want it to be kinda versitile
budget: umm, $250 plus whatever i could get for my line 6 spider 3
what do yall recommend? i was looking at a peavey windsor(see below link)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp-481660-i1386608.gc
and im hopin that would do me good, but what else do you recommend?
thanks ya'll
EDIT: i play a bunch of stuff, anything from the police to metallica, if thatll help you help me at all
DOUBLEEDIT: ok, just found a marshall valve state on ebay, are those any good? cuz im thinkin of that
TRIPLEEDIT: yeah, i know that valvestates arent all tube, but i was just browsin, and I have a Epiphone Les Paul and MIM Fender Strat
Last edited by guitardude34875 at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
For versatile the Crate V series is pretty good. No modern br00talz but they are nice amps.

well, i have a distortion pedal, and a 70's musicman tube, but i cant get enough distortion out of it, do you think if i add my boss OS-2 pedal to that crate itll give osme good distortion? seeing as you have one and all...
the peavey widsor isn't what i'd call "versatile." trust me. get a fender tube combo and a good OD pedal.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
oh, and save up for it
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Fender Deville 410
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lazlow325i
the peavey widsor isn't what i'd call "versatile." trust me. get a fender tube combo and a good OD pedal.

well, i want a lot of different sounds, like it said in my original post
Quote by guitardude34875
well, i want a lot of different sounds, like it said in my original post

mhmm, i'm aware. a good guitarist can get a whole slew of great tones from a fender tube combo and a decent OD pedal. you're not going to find a tube combo with all the lame effects that the spider has, if that's what you're thinking.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Fender Deville 410
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I like the vox ad series amps.....theyve got decent cleans, really good distortion, and theyre
pretty versatile......btw, what kind of guitar do you have?
Ibanez ART300 HOLY JESUS TOTALLY FUCKING METAL
'87 warlock (in progress)
yahmaha noname w/ a floyd rose
takamine g-series acoustic!!!
orange crush 10
vox ad15vt
line 6 Pod
Boss metalzone
Boss super overdrive
Quote by guitardude34875
EDIT: i play a bunch of stuff, anything from the police to metallica, if thatll help you help me at all
DOUBLEEDIT: ok, just found a marshall valve state on ebay, are those any good? cuz im thinkin of that

The Valvestate isn't a tube amp, it's a hybrid with a SS power section that you should avoid like the plague.

I don't know how much you're going to get for your Spider, but I think you'd be wise to look for a used amp. A second hand Peavey Classic 30 would cover the Ploice to most Metallica on it's own, and generally sell for under $400. A better choice -but harder to find used- would be a Traynor YCV 40 or 50.

If you can find one before they sell out, a Palomino V32 could probably be had brand new for your budget, and wouldn't be a bad choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.