Alright, Ive pretty much decided on my new cab, but Mesa Boogie has 2 different models of the same cab, the Powerhouse and the Roadready.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass2x15-LG.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/RoadReadyCABS/RRbass2x15-LG.htm

Im leaning towards the roadready model cause of the extra armor, thatll be extremely useful seeing as how when we're done with high school, we plan on taking a year or so off and going on tour. But would the armor affect the tone much? Granted the powerhouse looks better, and Im sure its built solid, but it only comes with a slip cover. Id just feel better with the roadready. And afterwards, I still plan on playing as a hobby, but not as extensively. Would I still be happy with the roadready, even though I wouldnt be doing much traveling with it?

So if anyone has any experience with either of these, or just has opinions, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Well, unless it just costs way too much more, I'd definitely go with the Roadready. Not only does it seem a better investment, but I personally think it looks classier than the Powerhouse.

Your cab can never be too protected. If something slides around and rams into your cab when your hauling stuff in a trailer, a slip ain't going to protect much.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Ya, the Roadready seems to be a better investment long term if you don't plan on extensively going back into music. The armor wouldn't have that bad of an effect on the tone, it's still Mesa gear and top of the line gear.

So def. go w/ the Roadready (Unless it costs insanely more)

-ATB
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I have the Powerhouse and it's probably the best amp I've played out of. It's one heavy son of a bitch but the tone is so sweet that I pretty much won't use anything else. The thing can take a beating and doesn't really have much wear for being five or six years old. There really isn't a need for the extra armor with the Roadready, but if you prefer the looks of it over the Powerhouse you should go for it. Other than the weight, I doubt there would be much different especially in the tone.
well if you get the Powerhouse, you'll need to get a road case for it, and they're expensive. the Roadready solves that problem. so basically i would find out how much a road case would be for the PH, add that to the cost of the PH. if the Roadready is the same or less, there you go. nice cabs, btw.
I think the roadready looks most decent but i havent played on any of those two.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I think you want a RoadReady if you're doing extensive touring, and I think you want the 412 cab
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think you want a RoadReady if you're doing extensive touring, and I think you want the 412 cab

why is that?
Quote by TSaxnBassist
why is that?

Because a modern bass cab filled with 12's is BADASS (i.e. I like them)!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Because a modern bass cab filled with 12's is BADASS (i.e. I like them)!

any particular reason why? or just a preference?
The 412 cab is an unbelievable bad ass. I tried it a couple of days ago and it ate my eden 410 for breakfast
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by TSaxnBassist
any particular reason why? or just a preference?

Just my preference, I guess, but I own a cab with 12's and I prefer them over 10's in a heartbeat. They seem to be much deeper and present in a mix than 10's, and they just feel louder. They're still responsive and quick like 10's, too. If you're going for a 215, you're after a really specific sound, but you might find them pillowier than other cabs. A 12 config is a great blend of 15s' and 10s' characteristics. If you have the opportunity to try a 212/412, do yourself a favour.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Just my preference, I guess, but I own a cab with 12's and I prefer them over 10's in a heartbeat. They seem to be much deeper and present in a mix than 10's, and they just feel louder. They're still responsive and quick like 10's, too. If you're going for a 215, you're after a really specific sound, but you might find them pillowier than other cabs. A 12 config is a great blend of 15s' and 10s' characteristics. If you have the opportunity to try a 212/412, do yourself a favour.

they also have this:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1200-LG.htm

its a 1x15 & 4x10 all in one, they also have it in the roadready style, but its easier to see the speaker arrangement like this. how do you think this would do?
Quote by thefitz

Great way to describe it Fitz. I PERSONALLY am a 15" kind of guy. I really like the kind of enveloping sound. However, I totally dig what 12's do. Especially if you're more of a metal guy, you should definitely try out 12s, just to see which you prefer.

As a side note, I LOVE 12's on guitar amps.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by TSaxnBassist
they also have this:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass1200-LG.htm

its a 1x15 & 4x10 all in one, they also have it in the roadready style, but its easier to see the speaker arrangement like this. how do you think this would do?

I'm not into the all-in-one speaker cabs. They seem to be overly heavy for very little reason.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm not into the all-in-one speaker cabs. They seem to be overly heavy for very little reason.

I have a Yorkville 1510 - it's a 2x10 and a 1x15 all-in-one - and although it's relatively light compared to bigger cabs (it's 90 lbs), it's still a bitch to haul compared to separate 2x10 and 1x15 cabs.