I'm wondering how most "Open mic nights" work. I'd be interested in playing some with my band. What gear would we need to bring and what sort of music is expected? Would turned up to 11 rock be appreciated or would a low key acoustic set b better?
It depends on your audience!

If you playing at a gangsta bar...

If your playing at an OAP home.... :P

You get the picture
Usually open mic is more of an acoustic kind of thing. Doing anything too heavy is risky.
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
the one we have that i regularly go to its all older rock, softer type stuff but all electric. and they provide two guitar amps ( both nice tube combos) a bass amp, a drum kit and a pa and mics.
Why not go check out a couple at different clubs/cafes to get the feel of it? They can really differ. But there's something to be said for just jumpin' in, too. It's just an open mic, a chill thing. Either way, it's mostly an acoustic deal, but I do one sometimes where people bring pedals and such. At that one specifically, a band will sometimes do a set at the end. Anyway, have fun! There are a lot of real characters that do open mics.
I agree with acoustic I did Name by the Goo Goo Dolls and they loved it. My suggestions is that you play History by Tenacious D
Any open mike night i have been to is a bunch of semi talentless saps playing love songs on an acoustic guitar played badly.
Quote by Aesop_Rock
Any open mike night i have been to is a bunch of semi talentless saps playing love songs on an acoustic guitar played badly.

aesop rock is the ****
most of them aren't really for bands, unless it's all done on acoustic instruments.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm