Hey guys, my classes at school end April 28th. In celebration of completing my first official year of college, and to begin the summer on a good note, i've decided to treat myself to a nice tube amp to replace my line 6 spider 3. I'm hoping to have alot more time over the summer to devote to playing since school will be over. Now, it doesn't have to be a huge amp. I'm most likely not going to be doing any gigging in the near future, but maybe an occasional jam over the summer with a friend or two. I wouldn't mind being able to crank up the amp and jam outside though. I play mostly classic rock like Boston, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Black Sabbath, Lynard Skynard, Bon Jovi, etc. I am interested in occasional blues playing also. Can you guys recommend an amp that would best fit this criteria? I will purchase pedals to accompany the amp if need be. I've been looking at these two amps:

Blackheart

Peavey

The peavey is about the max i am willing to spend atm. I am willing to go over a little bit and willing to pay for quality. Thanks for the help guys

Btw, if it matters, i currently play a MIM fender HSS strat.
Last edited by rockadoodle at Apr 2, 2008,
The valveking is more of a do everything ok and lifelessly amp and do nothing very well. The Palomino is for the Classic rock and blues crowd with some hard rock like van halen thrown in. The Blackheart is like the Palomino apparently but the 5 watt model wouldn't be able to keep up with a jam session very well if at all.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The valveking is more of a do everything ok and lifelessly amp and do nothing very well. The Palomino is for the Classic rock and blues crowd with some hard rock like van halen thrown in. The Blackheart is like the Palomino apparently but the 5 watt model wouldn't be able to keep up with a jam session very well if at all.

Well i don't know if i'll be jamming too much over the summer anyway. But, I want to as soon as i can. I need to find some people to jam with. My friend is wanting to pick up guitar starting this summer and another friend wants to learn bass. So, depending on how much they progress by the end of the summer will determine if i have a jam buddy or two. With that in mind, should i still go with the Palomino since im into classic rock and want to jam oneday?
You want at least 15W tube if you're going to be doing any jamming with drums and another guitar, but 50W is probably too much if you're going to be playing by yourself at home most of the time. Something like the new Crate V18 would fall well within your budget, and be pretty much ideal for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
new Blackheart 15 watts coming outin april/may. Get that. Or a palomino
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Don't go with the VK. They are really lifeless. Try to find a cheap Peavey Classic 30. Much better than the VK in my opinion. The Blackheard would be an awesome choice if it were a bit louder, but if you don't need that volume just pick that up.
wow all you guys really offer alot of out of the box thinking posting **** here is just as helpfull as going to GC sitting down and playing trough amps, oh wait its not
Just go to the music store sit down and play
+1 on the Classic
Let your ear guide you on what's best.

and since you like Classic rock, the C30 is what you want.

i'm getting it also....
as soon as I some how find $480..
Quote by THE-KID654
^go used

Can't find any at the closest GC, nor samash

and the floormodel is $400, and I rather go new since the floor models at samash look like complete crap.
Quote by THE-KID654
^craiglist

went there, nothing near my area

lol you're going to say ebay next arent ya
used peavey classic 30. seriously. i adore that amp, and you see it go used online for about 350-400
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I have the same guitar as you and the palomino, and they fit together perfectly.

I'd definitely recommend that you test out all the amps though.
Quote by slatsmania
You want at least 15W tube if you're going to be doing any jamming with drums and another guitar, but 50W is probably too much if you're going to be playing by yourself at home most of the time. Something like the new Crate V18 would fall well within your budget, and be pretty much ideal for you.

Hey Slats, have you played any of the new V series amps? I just ordered one from MF for $290, figuring I'd CL it for $400 if I don't like it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Hey Slats, have you played any of the new V series amps? I just ordered one from MF for $290, figuring I'd CL it for $400 if I don't like it.

Very briefly, at low volumes in Sam Ash. Not enough to really say anything one way or the other on the thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Very briefly, at low volumes in Sam Ash. Not enough to really say anything one way or the other on the thing.

Right-o, I'll find out soon enough anyway. Just have to wire my cab up.
I tried the V-18 this week and wow. I wasn't expecting what I found. I put this amp right there with the blues jr. I thought I would be crossing this off of my 15 watt all tube list once I played it but I can no longer justify spending $450 on a blues jr when this amp is $330. There just isn't a $120 difference anywhere between the two. I thought the cleans were full and rich, I will likely be buying the V-18 unless I find something at an insane price on craigslist. I have also recently tried the VK112, Classic 30, Windsor, Blues Jr, Pro Jr & Hot Rod Deluxe. The V-18 was as good as the HRD and the Blues Jr in my experience. The C30 was just under them, the VK was better than expected but eh, the Windsor did nothing for me.