Page 1 of 3
what are your favorite death bands

All Shall Perish
Whitechapel
The Absence
Necrophagist
The Faceless
I could go on for a long time but these are my top.
*I realize a few are deathcore*
All Shall Perish
In Flames
Necrophagist
Dethklok
Dimmu Borgir (they're black and death)
Kataklysm (i define them as death)
SUFFOCATION
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Opeth
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Necrophagist
Nile
At The Gates
Carcass (Heartwork album mostly)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Opeth's not death metal.

Are you...****ing stupid?

Honestly, listen to anything off of Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries (wait...that's all their albums...minus Damnation) and I guarantee you can find a good death metal song. Sorry if their music is too in-depth and in touch with their emotion for you.

M'mkay?

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Growling =/= death metal

Opeth is one of my top five bands, but they're pretty progressive. None of their riffs can be compared with straight death metal. I can't confine them to that genre, they are too unique.
Quote by schmyler_taly
Yes, they are.

The only thing death metal about Opeth are the vocals.

Anywho:

-The Red Chord
-Vehemence
-Anata
-Atheist
-Daath
-Yyrkoon
Decapitated
Necrophagist
Brain Drill
Origin
Death
Cynic
Atheist
Blotted Science (Maybe not quite Death Metal)
Obituary
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Growling =/= death metal

Opeth is one of my top five bands, but they're pretty progressive. None of their riffs can be compared with straight death metal. I can't confine them to that genre, they are too unique.

Progressive Death Metal
They have obvious death metal influences.
Honestly, how can you listen to Deliverance or Forest of October without thinking they have death metal influence?

Seriously Opeth aren't all graaaawr or gory, so most people don't consider them death metal. It annoys me to no end.

Quote by eggsandham2
No, progressive metal. Try comparing Opeth with standard death metal bands like Decapitated and Morbid Angel...you can't. Their music styles aren't at all similar.
That's the point,. People are only thinking of death metal that has already been done. Opeth did stuff people never heard before, so everyone mislabels them without death metal.
Compared to MA and Decapitated they aren't br00tal, but who gives two ****s if they aren't as heavy or their style isn't the same. That's why people make new music. To explore new boundaries.

Quote by eggsandham2
Oh, you wanna see an epic picture of Mike?

Quote by eggsandham2
What the hell do you think he was pointing for?

No other reason, but to summon spirits of teh br00talz?

Fog = win

Mikael + Fog = Division by 0 amounts of win.

Quote by eggsandham2
Severed savior
Psycroptic
Wormed
Defeated sanity
Suffocation
The red chord

Those are my top few, i feel like i missed out a few though, oh well
Decrepit Birth
Origin
Death
Psycroptic
Atheist
Suffocation
Nocturnus
Cryptopsy
Demilich
Spawn of Possession
ect.
I couldnt control myself...
****, i forgot demilich, decrepit birth and death. And cryptopsy, and odious mortem, and anaal nathrakh (if you can count them) and benediction and napalm death (if you can count them) Damn, i have too many
Quote by *SpitFire*
what are your favorite death bands

All Shall Perish
Whitechapel
The Absence
Necrophagist
The Faceless
I could go on for a long time but these are my top.
*I realize a few are deathcore*

Thats a pretty lol worthy list.
^ At least he has something worthwhile (Necrophagist), I guess.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Death
Behemoth
Arsis
Nile
Necrophagist
Morbid Angel
Carcass

thats a mighty fine list
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Ibanez RGA7
Washburn KC-40V
Fender Mexican Strat
Axe FX 2
Peavey 6505
Laney 4x12 (V30's)
Samson PB10 Pro
TC Electronics G Major 2
BBE Sonic Maximizer 362
Korg DTR-2000
Ibanez Tubescreamer
All Shall Perish
The Red Chord
Behemoth
White Chapel
and
Three Days Grace.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Are you...****ing stupid?

Honestly, listen to anything off of Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries (wait...that's all their albums...minus Damnation) and I guarantee you can find a good death metal song. Sorry if their music is too in-depth and in touch with their emotion for you.

M'mkay?

no. maybe opeth have some similar characteristics to death metal, but they definitely aren't. listen to say obituary - cause of death, or morbid angel - blessed are the sick, or autopsy - severed survival (three pretty much genre-defining albums), and you will find almost no resemblance of these albums in opeths music
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Autopsy
Entombed
Grave
Necrophagist
Bolt Thrower
Vader
Carcass
Deicide
Abominable Putridity
Amputaded

My top ten favourites, in no special order.
Atheist
Autopsy
Death
Malevolent Creation
Suffocation
Hail of Bullets
Carcass
I love how some of you say:

"OK, Opeth might not have anything in common with death metal apart from the vocals, but they are death metal! Just because they don't sound like it doesn't mean they aren't!"

On the other hand, people consider Cynic to be death metal...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by LogTrog
All Shall Perish
The Red Chord
Behemoth
White Chapel
and
Three Days Grace.

I see what you did there...

Behmoth
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Hate Eternal
Kronos
Anchorhead
Uhh, there's others but I can't think o' none...
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Suffocation
Decrepit Birth
Death
Benighted
Kronos
Odious Mortem
Autopsy
Carcass

There are just way too many to mention.
Lack of Mithras makes me sad.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Nile
Behemoth
Decapitated
Hate
Deicide
Vital Remains
Despondency
Stabwound
alot more that i don't feel like listing...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
No, progressive metal. Try comparing Opeth with standard death metal bands like Decapitated and Morbid Angel...you can't. Their music styles aren't at all similar.

Great, now compare Opeth to Dream Theater. Nothing alike. Since you can't say they're solely progressive or solely death metal, you just say Extreme Progressive Metal (although I personally don't like this term, because you can be extreme and progressive without displaying death metal elementsin the music), or Progressive Death Metal. That's because death metal is a pervasive element in the music, not just occassional. It's significant enough in Opeth's sound to qualify calling them that. Thus, they are death metal. And I really don't want any **** on how they're not pure death metal, because I didn't claim they are or that they sound anything like Deicide. Seriously, saying Progressive Death isn't Death Metal is just dumb.

And, some of my faves:

Immolation
Morbid Angel
Opeff
Carcass
Amon Amarth
Death
Nile
Pestilence
Behemoth
Suffocation
I've found Jesus