I'm looking for a G# (Ab) chord that can be played with all six strings (Standard Tuning) in a progression of open chords. I've tried playing it as a bar chord but it sounds muted and strained compared to the open chords.

What I've come up with so far is

e --1
B --1
G --1
D --1
A --3
E --4

but it doesn't sound right.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
e --4
B --1
G --1
D --1
A --3
E --4
Just changed one note from yours. I'm thinking it sounded wrong because the F on the high E string was a 6th.
Right well that's my problem. Is there any way to mute selected strings to play one?
Quote by Musian
Right well that's my problem. Is there any way to mute selected strings to play one?
Well the trouble is that the chord tones (Ab, C, Eb) don't have any open strings with those notes. My solution would be to play it using the G barre shape as I posted above.
If you want to use that G-based shape, just leave off the high E-string, that would work.

You could also tune down a half step and use an open A shape, but that would screw up your other chords.

Just a question, what's your progression? I can't think of any open chords that would go well with a G#.
Play it as a G-shape man, you were half way there already.
e --1 change this note to be the octave root note for the chord
B --1
G --1
D --1
A --3
E --4

So it looks like this
e --4 G#
B --1 C
G --1 G#
D --1 D#
A --3 C
E --4 G#

It's basically an open G chord played with a bar on the first fret.
Quote by grampastumpy
Well the trouble is that the chord tones (Ab, C, Eb) don't have any open strings with those notes. My solution would be to play it using the G barre shape as I posted above.

I understand, thanks for your help. I think a simple F-shape of the bar chord will work.