I am 16 years old and run track at my school. I was (earlier this year) running regularly during the winter without pain. I ended up stopping for an extended period of time. When i came back to run, I started to get small pains but i brushed them off...you know, run through the pain. Now they are starting to get pretty bad, they include back ache, a phucked up knee, and shin splints. That doesn't matter to me too much, but the left shin splint is starting to feel REALLY bad. All my friends are mostly hardcore runners, so they tell me to run through it. The athletic trainer told me to take a break, but she messes up a lot and tells people to rest when they shouldnt.... On top of this all my brother and my mom think that it is either A. My form (which i had corrected) or B. I'm a pussy. Im trying to run through the pain but i want to find out whether or not i have something worse.....what should i do. Seeing a doctor is not preferable, seeing as my mom and brother dismiss my injury.
I'd rub some Icyhottigerbalm on it
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Apr 2, 2008,
maybe is the temperature change?
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Shin Splints can be fixed by buying better shoes. Usually most cases of shin splints are caused by poor support of the weight being distributed throughout the foot. That would also explain your back hurting, taking the abuse from your knees and feet.

I would try and see if you could go to a sports store and try out a few pair of Athletic/Running shoes. Run around in them, try them all out. They're expensive, but if you dont want to kill yourself, they're worth it.
Live as a man. Die as a man. Become a man.

That's the proof of your incompetence, right there.
You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.
i think the problem here is that ure asking the pit monkeys for medical help xD
Quote by Mexican Militia
Shin Splints can be fixed by buying better shoes. Usually most cases of shin splints are caused by poor support of the weight being distributed throughout the foot. That would also explain your back hurting, taking the abuse from your knees and feet.

I would try and see if you could go to a sports store and try out a few pair of Athletic/Running shoes. Run around in them, try them all out. They're expensive, but if you dont want to kill yourself, they're worth it.

this guy sounds like he knows what hes talkin about
so im gona say i concur
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Assuming you stretch before and after maybe you have wake bones? I dunno, really though when in doubt go see a doctor. It's better to not be able to run for a bit then live with a messed up leg or something for the rest of you life. (Unless you plan on dieing soon)
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
You can also do excercies to prevent shin splints, or help prevent them. Since i tried them i havent gotten any in over a year.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Here's what I know: If you have/had shin splints and other problems you unconsciously "correct" them and your body adapts to find the easiest way to avert yourself from the pain, which creates poor running technique which in turn creates a lot of other muscle problems because you unconsciously compensated for one problem and are now full of other problems that "seemingly" have nothing to do with the aforementioned.

Shortened version: don't run for a bit. If that's not an option, better find a dealer with a good price on vicadin.
Quote by cedaguol
i think the problem here is that ure asking the pit monkeys for medical help xD

agreed. sorry dude, i can offer no valuable help, for i am a porker, and it is not within my field of knowledge.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
UG is not your doctor.....
but go get it checked obviously, not much else we can do
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
i heard that athletic tape and taping your feet properly will help also. i miht be wrong tho...
I would see a doctor

I had a problem like this but in my heel and I pushed through it, it got worse saw a doctor and he said if I don't give running a break for a while I will damage my heel possibly permanently
oxycottin?

really tho, i would ask you if its your shoes. if you run alot, you should get new shoes fairly often because the padding wears out quickly (again, depending on how much you run). how old are your shoes out of curiosity and how much do you run on a weekly average in terms of distance.

also, for shin splints, there are some exercises you can do to prevent them in the future. basically shin splints are caused when the calf muscle builds more quickly than the muscles on the front of your shins. the calf muscle more or less pulls the shin muscle off the bone, creating the pain you get when you run.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Mexican Militia

My running shoes were fitted for me. I have also put archpads in them to prevent shin splints...
Quote by Tubyboulin
Thats how My friend lost his Leg to cancer. Go see a Doctor now, screw your mom and brother.

yeahh you win...i'll go this weekend for sure.
dude you probably just tried to run as fast and long as you did back when you were running regularly, especially if you have "hardcore runner friends" to keep up with.

you probably shoulda started back up slow and worked to where you used to be

too late now though muahaha.... jk
Quote by nevin021s
I am 16 years old and run track at my school. I was (earlier this year) running regularly during the winter without pain. I ended up stopping for an extended period of time. When i came back to run, I started to get small pains but i brushed them off...you know, run through the pain. Now they are starting to get pretty bad, they include back ache, a phucked up knee, and shin splints. That doesn't matter to me too much, but the left shin splint is starting to feel REALLY bad. All my friends are mostly hardcore runners, so they tell me to run through it. The athletic trainer told me to take a break, but she messes up a lot and tells people to rest when they shouldnt.... On top of this all my brother and my mom think that it is either A. My form (which i had corrected) or B. I'm a pussy. Im trying to run through the pain but i want to find out whether or not i have something worse.....what should i do. Seeing a doctor is not preferable, seeing as my mom and brother dismiss my injury.

just go to the doctor...whats the big deal
Quote by Mexican Militia

Don't listen to him, the shoe stores are paying him.
Quote by Rapid_Fire
dude you probably just tried to run as fast and long as you did back when you were running regularly, especially if you have "hardcore runner friends" to keep up with.

you probably shoulda started back up slow and worked to where you used to be

too late now though muahaha.... jk

Well all my runner friends only get mad at me if i don't run or don't try, they are happy when i do run. Alot of times i would start with them to work myself, then i would slow down after a mile or so and go a good pace....i was building myself up UNTIL i stopped running to do drivers ed.
Quote by nevin021s
Well all my runner friends only get mad at me if i don't run or don't try, they are happy when i do run. Alot of times i would start with them to work myself, then i would slow down after a mile or so and go a good pace....i was building myself up UNTIL i stopped running to do drivers ed.

You know, running is a gateway drug. What will your friends pressure you to do next? Crack? Men? Bull semen?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
You gots the hiv.
My Gear
Jackson RR5
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG10 : Deaceased
Esp Ltd Ec-50
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop wah
Marshall Avt 50x
Quote by lespaulrocks39
You know, running is a gateway drug. What will your friends pressure you to do next? Crack? Men? Bull semen?

I believe that you sir are sigged
Shin splints are an overuse injury. Cut back on your training by 50% and try to avoid high impact training such as sprints. They tend to come and go, and once you get them you are usually afflicted for life. There are two main things you can do to avoid shin splints:

1)Buy a good new pair of shoes that offer proper support

2)When coming to a stop ALWAYS decelerate slowly and allow your inertia to dissipate before coming to a stop. Sudden stops cause your toes to stub the ground, which puts huge pressure on your shins. This is a big one.

It also helps a lot to ice your shins after every practice as it will reduce swelling. If your shins are bad enough, you can also consider going to a pysiotherapist to get your shins scraped.
it could be your shoes, make sure they have good arch support.

also, when you run on harder surfaces like concrete and an indoor track I hear that can cause pain. I had a little from running before but I got new shoes and it was better.

and it probably didn't bother you before cause it built up to this level of pain.
Quote by Mikeizzle
it could be your shoes, make sure they have good arch support.

also, when you run on harder surfaces like concrete and an indoor track I hear that can cause pain. I had a little from running before but I got new shoes and it was better.

and it probably didn't bother you before cause it built up to this level of pain.

It has for the longest time...im worried that it is worse than shin splints...thursday i had to stop in the middle of my warmup because i was on the verge of tears, i ended up biking.
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
i'd go to a doctr, but then again we have free health care and we go for whatever we want.