Page 1 of 3
i've been thinking about getting a mutli-effect pedal, is this one any good?
should i get one of these or a bunch of pedals?

i have a few questions:

-can i switch channels on it, like can i use it to change my tone from like, a clean chorus to a death metal verse?
-Does it sound digital or what?
and
-whats the overall quality, would i be better off buying pedals?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-RP90-Guitar-MultiEffect-Pedal?sku=153571

if this isnt right for me, what should i get?
i play mostly death metal and black metal, but sometimes i like to play things... a bit softer, like Dream Theater, Cold, Kamelot, and stuff.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 2, 2008,
NO! and NO!!!!! if you want something for heavy stuff dont buy this.. distortion on these things SUCK!
Quote by cedaguol
NO! and NO!!!!! if you want something for heavy stuff dont buy this

uh... care like explaining?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I'm not familiar with the RP90, however I have one of the newer RP350s ($250 i believe...) and it is fantastic. Absolutely no digital sounds, it is as close to the real thing I've gotten with a multi-effect pedal. Also, It relies on 60 "channels" (presets, basically) that can be edited on the unit or on your computer, so you can set channel one to clean and channel two to death metal and just press a switch. It's cheaper and more diverse than a single pedal, but it doesn't necessarily achieve the quality of "the real thing". So, if you want multi effects, this is what I would recommend.
Quote by ugmung
uh... care like explaining?

distortion in this pedal sucks... everything else is okayu but if youy play black and death metal this is not gonna work as your dist. resource
Quote by keavader
I'm not familiar with the RP90, however I have one of the newer RP350s ($250 i believe...) and it is fantastic. Absolutely no digital sounds, it is as close to the real thing I've gotten with a multi-effect pedal. Also, It relies on 60 "channels" (presets, basically) that can be edited on the unit or on your computer, so you can set channel one to clean and channel two to death metal and just press a switch. It's cheaper and more diverse than a single pedal, but it doesn't necessarily achieve the quality of "the real thing". So, if you want multi effects, this is what I would recommend.

it's $200. you think ill be able to get a Nile, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Anata, Suffocation, Dimmu Borgir, etc. sound? as well as the softer stuff i mentioned?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Well, maybe not exactly to a T unless you're very familiar with their equipment and their settings, but with mine I can get a s***load of distortion, no problem. I can make my amp rattle with the processer and amp's volumes pretty low, so yeah, you probably could.
what kind of EQ does it have?
does it just have a standard 3 band EQ and then i have the 3 band EQ on my amp?
how does it work? im confused.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Okay, a quick summary, it has like ten "catergories" i.e. distortion, wah, chorus, and one of those is Equalizer. It has a full equalizer (Treb, mid, bass, presence). What I do is I max out volume and EQ on my amp and leave the tweaking to the pedal. The amp is just a big speaker for me.
Quote by keavader
Okay, a quick summary, it has like ten "catergories" i.e. distortion, wah, chorus, and one of those is Equalizer. It has a full equalizer (Treb, mid, bass, presence). What I do is I max out volume and EQ on my amp and leave the tweaking to the pedal. The amp is just a big speaker for me.

huh?
what do you mean "full" equalizer, is it similar to the one i have on my amp?

how loud is your amp? lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yeah, just like on your amp. Just a bit more tweakable. Would you use your computer? it's a hell of a lot easier. You can tweak it beyond 1-10, but -12 to 12. It's very exact.
Quote by keavader
Yeah, just like on your amp. Just a bit more tweakable. Would you use your computer? it's a hell of a lot easier. You can tweak it beyond 1-10, but -12 to 12. It's very exact.

oh hell yeah, lol.
cause i was looking at getting an EQ pedal before i ran into one of these. so im guessing its similar to an EQ pedal. thats cool.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I have a rp250 works like a mofo have a bunch of custom settings when I figured out how it all worked, the distortion is really good on it but since I'm not into metal can't tell you too good about death metal tones, all I know it has the boss Death Metal pedal on it
Quote by chinkboy7
I have a rp250 works like a mofo have a bunch of custom settings when I figured out how it all worked, the distortion is really good on it but since I'm not into metal can't tell you too good about death metal tones, all I know it has the boss Death Metal pedal on it

you mean Digitech.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
well actually i'm kidna whaitin my to come from USA..
hmm well it got every kinda effects... (almost)...
hmm i think it's a good one...
hmm also yeah it got 3 band EQ but got some soudn filters so u'll get any sound ya want...

and yes you can change effects....

you just have to save a preset... for example you save on the number 1 this chain with a chorus... delay and distortion... and the Wah adjusted to yr exp. pedal... than save another chain like distoriton octaver and vol pedal on expression.... save it to the umver 2...
and after all you need to change from 1 to 2nd preset is to push the right button
I personally hate the digitech sound. I have the Rpx400 and it is a piece of ****. It sounds way to digital (i know the digi stands for digital but my mom bought me the pedal) and all of the presets sound way to distorted and most of them the same. It's not worth the money.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well actually i'm kidna whaitin my to come from USA..
hmm well it got every kinda effects... (almost)...
hmm i think it's a good one...
hmm also yeah it got 3 band EQ but got some soudn filters so u'll get any sound ya want...

and yes you can change effects....

you just have to save a preset... for example you save on the number 1 this chain with a chorus... delay and distortion... and the Wah adjusted to yr exp. pedal... than save another chain like distoriton octaver and vol pedal on expression.... save it to the umver 2...
and after all you need to change from 1 to 2nd preset is to push the right button

oh thats cool...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by mulefish
maybe a boss ME-20, its a bit higher quality or a pod of some kind?

listen to this guy...
+1 on the Digitech. I have an RP 250, which is about the same thing except i don't have the 3rd pedal that allows you to switch back and forth between two presets right Ugmung? With the X-Edit software you can literally drag and drop a preset to where ever you want it so I just put all the ones I use the most next to each other and jump back and forth that way. Mine was $150. Both of these, and the RP150, have a new codec or whatever called DNA I think that is surprisingly good.

Ugmung - do have a preset called MRSHMLO or something? That's got some whicked sound to it.
Search on the RP350 and RP250 and see what others have said and also look for the dude who has a vid posted playing thru the 250. I think the thread was titled 'blowing up my girlfriends garage'
Quote by cedaguol
listen to this guy...

it looks like **** and it doesnt look as reliable and it doesnt have as much features.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by vigenharutyunya
yah

what is it, the ya-ya.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
oh, i had another question.
for the RP series, if i were to do it on the computer, could i make like folders for my different presents?
like for each band ill make a different folder and put like a different present for all the different kind of sounds ill will need to play things for that band.

like if i wanted to play a Dream Theater song i could make a DT folder and put all the different presents i would need to play just for that band. so instead of trying to find all the different things, i could just flip through the folders.

i thought of that earlier, i thought it would be really cool if i could do that.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 4, 2008,
no on folders
what you can do is (w/free X-Edit software you download from Digitech) is drag and drop the presets in what ever order you want. Then you could group things together. I think I have 60 effects presets total. You can tweak their tone properties, rename, rearrage whatever.

you haven't seen the demo on inturdnet yet go do that - digitech.com. find one of my other posts on this (RP250) and follow that. that is what it will look like on your computer. you can make all of these changes without X-Edit on computer as well it just takes longer.

for example, i rearragned these in the order i wanted them:
#19 Plexi
#20 Acoustic
#21 Clean
#23 Delay
#24 Flanger
#25 Hendrix (wah)
#26 BritCombo etc etc so i can use the foot pedal to jump from 21 to 22 and back, etc
oh...
:/

well i guess ill just group them without the folders.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Hey i have a digitech rp 250 that i am selling for 90$ shipped, just doesn't have any knobs but doesnt effect anything.PM me if interested,thanks.
Quote by young_player
Hey i have a digitech rp 250 that i am selling for 90$ shipped, just doesn't have any knobs but doesnt effect anything.PM me if interested,thanks.

you mean - 'affect' right?

if so, your right and that is a good deal cause you can change tones and parameters with XEDIT software and won't need knobs (which i would miss actually).

if you meant - 'it has no effects AND knobs', then something is wrong with it and hide it in the shed for future generations...

Quote by young_player

what'd you do to the knobs?

and btw, whats the difference between the 350 and the 250?
i was wondering...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I have some firsthand experience with both the RP90 and RP250. Recently I bought an RP90 and ended up exchanging it for an RP250, even though there was nothing really wrong with the 90. (btw I really like my RP250) The RP90 is $100 new and the RP250 is $150 new. The RP250 has more amp/cab/stompbox models, is made of metal, has more drum machine patterns, has a USB port & software, and is a little larger than the RP90. It still fits in the front pouch of my gig bag so it's highly portable. The RP250 also lets you press down on the tip of the expression pedal when it's all the way down to switch to wah from whatever you have the expression pedal assigned to. The XEdit software with the $250 is really nice and you can download user created patches and there is a decent user community on the Digitech website. Both have built in tuners and can be bypassed for straight amp tone.

Basically the RP250 has a few extra goodies built in and patches can be edited on the computer which is real nice. (And the RP250 software provides more options than the buttons on the RP90 do) You can get crazy distortion in various genres out of either pedal although there are a few more amp, cab, and stompbox options in the 250. (and with the 250 you can mix and match amps and cabs in the software which the 90 can't do ... in the 90 they are all preset) Yes you can switch between different sounds with the 2 footpedals. It's maybe not as nice as a channel switch on an amp because you have to be sure the patches you want are next to each other, but it works ok if you get used to it. Some of the 60 presets in the 250 are pretty good, but I've come up with 9 of my own making that I like better. The 250 is quite a bit more versatile but does cost $50 more and some people may not need the extra features. Here is how my custom patches are laid out:

WCLEAN - a chorus, reverb clean tone based on Fender Blackface amp
WCRNCH - mildly crunchy tone based on AC30
RPOWER - DS stompbox with delay & reverb, sounds great for power chords
DCLEAN - clean tone with no modulation or reverb
SOLDLY - solo tone with delay
-MEAN- This is a ridiculously harsh distortion I'm playing around with
ACOUST - sounds just about like an acoustic guitar
ODFLAN - mildly overdriven flanger tone
80SMTL - 80s metal tone

Anyways both are cool pedals and are pretty versatile, but I wanted the features in the 250 and was willing to play $50 extra for them. Good luck.
well whats the difference between the 350 and the 250? the thing i noticed was that there was an amp switcher, which i dont need and a few more knobs.
does the 250 offer the same effects, amp models and features as the 350?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Why dont you go to Digitech.com and look at the features etc.

The new RP's are very good IMO.
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
i compared them, and i've watched videos on youtube with people using it.

all the videos i've seen the distortion and everything sounded really digital, is that how the pedal is or is it their other equipment or the settings they used?
i really dont want to buy this if it sounds anything like what i've heard in the videos.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 5, 2008,
Hey, ya affect anything my bad, I just bought it with no knobs, dont know why it doesnt but ill sell it for 90$ shipped.works perfectly,thanks.
it is digital pedal...try listening to an analog pedal thru your computer speakers over the in turd net and see if you can hear the diff....also, have you played with the demo on-line?...and compared the specs between the 2?...the effects should be the same but the 350 gives you a 3rd stomp button for bypass etc (don't remember actually) instead of the 250 where you have to stomp both foot buttons at the same time to go to bypass or tuner which takes getting used to but imo is not that hard and saves $$
yo
well, the only thing that is bothering me is the digital sound...
the cleans and other effects are amazing but all the distortion models that i've heard are really...dull, digital, and muddy.
im not going to use my cleans as much as im going to use my distortion...

oh, and whats bypass anyway?...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Last edited by ugmung at Apr 5, 2008,
Page 1 of 3