So for the past year or so, I've been looking around at amps. I had originally planned on getting a Halfstack (Crate VTX/Flexwave, or an Ibanez ToneBlaster) then I had heard that tube combos (Blues Juniors, HotRods etc) where better buys than solid state halfstacks.
So I browsed about, and then thought that I did want a Halfstack. So I started looking at the same thing. I really thought the Crate VTX was an awesome buy, 3 channels, a lot of stereo effects, and the like. My friend was also looking at the same thing, and decided, and bought the VTX. Now, the VTX is still up for grabs, but tonight I was looking about the internet, and I came across a Peavy Windsor Tube Amp.
Also, I really like the 3 channels the Crates offer. And also, anyone that would like to recomend me cabs to go along with it would be great!

Right now, I'm not sure what I want. What would you UG recomend?

Peavy Windsor

Ibanez Tone Blaster (TBX100)

Crate VTX Stereo

Crate Flexwave

Crate V Series
Last edited by guitargod9208 at Apr 2, 2008,
The peavey, for sure. Also look at the marshall AVT and the vox valvetronix lines for pretty affordable good sound.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Out of all you've selected, the Peavey is the best.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I recommend that you revisit the idea of getting a tube combo.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

seconded

BTW tube heads are also better than SS heads...

try a Traynor YCV50 or get the Windsor, or a B-52 AT-100
The Windsor sounded horrible to me. Litterally, an MG with a Sonic Maximizer sounded much better than it did. Go with a tube combo.
Quote by guitargod9208
what should I do about having one channel on the Peavy

Get better at changing the volume knobs around.
Quote by Highwaytohell
BTW tube heads are also better than SS heads...

That REALLY is a matter of opinion. I hate to keep saying this, but because people recommend you go Tube doesn't mean you'll like it. I currently don't have a Tube Amp, but I'm planning on keeping my SS Traynor because It sounds good at low volumes. Something many Tube Amps can't do. Some people like the sound of loud SS amps, Dimebag swore by them. Matter of preference. One is not better than the other
Quote by nedthehead
That REALLY is a matter of opinion. I hate to keep saying this, but because people recommend you go Tube doesn't mean you'll like it. I currently don't have a Tube Amp, but I'm planning on keeping my SS Traynor because It sounds good at low volumes. Something many Tube Amps can't do. Some people like the sound of loud SS amps, Dimebag swore by them. Matter of preference. One is not better than the other

By saying that, you're encouraging the people, and rightly so, to say that Dimebags tone was ****.

Tube combo is the way to go in this case. Unless you have a good amount of money to spend, half stacks aren't worth it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
holy crap dude
saying ss and tube is a matter of preference is like saying chinese democracy will come out within the next month
everyone knows it's not true
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
holy crap dude
saying ss and tube is a matter of preference is like saying chinese democracy will come out within the next month

Ha ha. Next month, won't be out 10 years from now.
Quote by acdclandon
holy crap dude

Read this next section below

Quote by jambi_mantra
By saying that, you're encouraging the people, and rightly so, to say that Dimebags tone was ****.

Tube combo is the way to go in this case. Unless you have a good amount of money to spend, half stacks aren't worth it.

I think what was important was what HE liked. If you hate my tone, you can go jump off of a roof for all I care. I like my tone I get from my SS and distortion pedal, and Dime probably liked his. If not, he had all the omeny in the world to go buy equipment. To me, his tone is mediocre, but he probably loved it. So may other people from High wattage SS amps.
Quote by nedthehead
Read this next section below

I think what was important was what HE liked. If you hate my tone, you can go jump off of a roof for all I care. I like my tone I get from my SS and distortion pedal, and Dime probably liked his. If not, he had all the omeny in the world to go buy equipment. To me, his tone is mediocre, but he probably loved it. So may other people from High wattage SS amps.

True, but generally tube amps sound nicer. I'm fairly sure you could get similar to Dime's tone, or any SS tone out of a tube amp and it'd probably sound better. For 99% of things, tube is preferred.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
For you. I prefer a lot of SS amps over certain Tube amps (which I won't mention). Like I said, all preference. Solid State definatly have a different "feel" to the sound than tube. Generally, Tube amps DO sound nicer, but with time and the right EQ/Distortion pedal, an SS amp can be built around a solid tone. Tube is preferred, but SS is REALLY underestimated for what they are worth.
I don't deny that a really high quality SS is on/above par than some tube amps. But generally a high quality tube will sound better than a high end SS for 99% of things. Obviously there are exceptions though.

In this guys case, I just think a tube would be better coz he hasn't stated he's in a situation where an SS would be better. As he hasn't listed any specific genres, a tube combo is probably a safer bet IMO.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
just keep searching both tube combos and SS half-stacks. try both of them out and get what you think sounds best.

what I mean is, try as many amps as you can, and don't exclude anything until you try it out..If you end up buying a SS half-stack good, if you buy a tube combo that's great..just be objective try to get what's best for your tone..try not to choose by pride, missconceptions or what other people tell you.
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

this is the most important amp related statement you may EVER read.
DONT buy an amp based on its effects and the amount of channels it has.
buy an amp for its tone
effects and what not can come later with pedals.
i learned this the hard way
^ This.

Whats your budget? A tube combo might be better IMO (hot rod or a deville).
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Isn't Dime's sig amp a tube? Not that he used it, but still. . .
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by slatsmania

+1

tube combos FTW!

/thread
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!