Like when did it all start making sense to you. Mine was when I was looking at my fretboard while playing thinking of every note I was hitting and then almost instantly I got it. It was pretty sweet.

When did it happen for you?
Rhythm Harmony Melody
with time as I spent more time with it. But it's still not clear enough, I like to think way to much. And I'm still confusing myself day by day, but I'm overcoming them with my trusty friend google's help.
When I finally bothered to learn all of the notes and modes, and developed an ear for pitch, I realized I can tab almost any song by ear.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
it never "clicked". I gradually got the hang of it and probably will never have a "click"
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Like 3 weeks after I got my electric
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
as far as straight playing, it clicked faster than i thought it would

i mean i still got a ways to go, but im happy right now
Quote by brush200400
it never "clicked". I gradually got the hang of it and probably will never have a "click"

+1

What do you mean by "clicked"? I know the notes and stuff but I still haven't even begun to really figure guitar out - I imagine its going to be a long process.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
when i listened to led zeppwein and looked up the tab for Whole Lotts Love here on UG aha
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by brush200400
This, again.
I never really clicked, but when I started learnign chord shapes, I just suddenly got the whole chord and structure down in pretty much a week or two.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
im still thinking too much when i play... i cant seem to talk through my guitar... need more practice
Quote by just17n8
im still thinking too much when i play... i cant seem to talk through my guitar... need more practice

I know what you mean. I used to play whatever felt natural...I play blues. But then I got into some progressive stuff, like rush, floyd and zappa and all. Then I realized I needed to learn my scales and modes. Cause I like to experiment a lot, I add my blues stuff with other modes to see what sounds good and all.

But yeah you just keep learning, and you start to get it. But then more obstacles come in front of you that you have to overcome, and then some more.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
I know what you mean. I used to play whatever felt natural...I play blues. But then I got into some progressive stuff, like rush, floyd and zappa and all. Then I realized I needed to learn my scales and modes. Cause I like to experiment a lot, I add my blues stuff with other modes to see what sounds good and all.

But yeah you just keep learning, and you start to get it. But then more obstacles come in front of you that you have to overcome, and then some more.

yeah thanks man... but i think i need a teacher... ive been playing 4+ years, technique wise i got it down...but i cant really sit down and study theory...
It kinda clicked for me...it wasnt so much of a i understand what im doing, it was more of an instant improvement in playability. It happened a little less than a year and a half from when i started playing.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
It hasn't clicked for me yet really. I still have a very hard time taking the music I hear in my head and making it out in the open for all. I can do it sometimes, but when I do i work so neurotically at it, I'm obsessive over it.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I find that there are a number of "level up" moments for me when it comes to playing guitar. At first, no matter how much I practiced I could never get enough speed for even basic licks. Then suddenly one day, I started picking lightly and loosening my hand and then boom! I was on a whole other level. I've had about 4 or 5 of these moments since, they seem to come randomly.
Its a great feeling when all the practice pays off when it clicks. You should keep feeling yourself get better and better no matter how long you play. Thats one of the most rewarding and satisfying parts of playing and dedicating yourself to it.
Plenty of people would say I still haven't gotten it, I'm not sure I'd disagree... but, a large and recent turning point was when I started being able to improvise parts that agree with one and other. I's proud.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, no epihanies here, either. I get hit with mad grooves once in a great, great, while (prob just a mindset thing) when everything I play sounds amazing to me. But at that point, one is clicking with the universe, dig? Other than that, it's just mundane fun with guitars, you know? Unless I get to a point where I level up in technique, then there's an illusion perhaps of a 'click'.
When it feels right.

I knew theory garbage from all the piano lessons and whatnot so I just dick around and 'emote' on the guitar I suppose.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It really came together when I started getting into theory. Everything made sense after that.
Gibson.
I have gradual bouts of realisation when learning guitar, but as for the whole instrument just becoming clear to me, I'm still a long way off that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
For a few years I just fiddled around, didnt play or practice in front of people, then one day I was like fck it and started playin whenever I could...then out of nowhere i just got the hang of it and everything comes easier now, and feel comfortable to play in front of anyone
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Never could play chords, last week was just playing with the strings enjoying the sound then hit an e-minor and from there everything just clicked.
NOSE PICKING IS GROSS! Fingerpicking is NOT!
Quote by Kanthras
Kinda like finger condoms.
Quote by SexSlave
First time I saw a guitar with my very own eyes.

A good point, and same for me. The first time i sat down in a guitar shop with a guitar [and epi les paul of some sort] it fest great, i didnt know what i was doing but it felt great. Other little clicks were when i was suddenly able to tremolo pick at speed and then again, when i could do a 3 string sweep all of a sudden. im still learning though, but im getting there.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Kurapica
I have gradual bouts of realisation when learning guitar, but as for the whole instrument just becoming clear to me, I'm still a long way off that.

This.

When I was working on speed with chromatics, one day I was going from very slow, then out of nowhere I could play speedily (then I learnt scales and did those pretty speedily too!).
Then another when my friend was playing a video game and out of nowhere the background music just came to me and I figured it out.
Another where a riff I had in my head for weeks was plundering my brain, I just dreamt about playing it, and woke up, picked up my guitar, BAM. Right there.
Then of course there's everytime I learn a new scale (Pentatonic, Natural Minor, Major, Blues, and a few modes are the ones that have stuck).

It happens quite a lot
as previously stated it didnt really click... my ear just developed, my fingers required less and less effort, and i guess the only part that came was where the notes fell in relation to math
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Haven't had one moment like that, but like other people have said I've had a few moments that were +1. First was probably when I could play the basic Smoke on the Water lick about a week or two after I started playing, and damn, was I psyched.