I had another thread, but all my questions led to other users talking about their amps etc, so new question.

How much will it cost to retube my roadster? I bought it second hand on eBay and it's 3 and 1/2 years old, I was told it would be best to retube it.

http://dane.lauda-audio.pl/prod/7519/Roadster_Head_back.jpg

pic ^..

What should I be looking at for tubes, and if I've had no experience with any electrical things with amps, should I try to do it myself?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Posted pic link.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I'm not sure how much it'd cost to retube it, but it's not hard to find out.

Check out:

EuroTubes.com
TubeDepot.com
DougsTubes.com

Make sure and let them know you'll be putting them in a Mesa so they have them set right for your bias. All you should need to do is take out the old ones and put the new ones in since Mesas don't require biasing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
check your current tubes to see what type they are. they're most likely either AX7s or AY7s so check to see which type. from there, you can buy tubes from samedaymusic.com or musiciansfriend. then i suggest you change the tubes upon recieving them for maximum effect
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
I wouldn't do it if you don't know what your doing. You can potentially do some damage to the amp if the power tubes aren't biased correctly. I'd take it in or have someone that knows what they're doing show you how to retube it.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Even if i'm $20 in gas and 3 hours of my life away from the nearest tech?

^^its a freaking Mesa i doubt its ganna blow up or something

EDIT:the onyl tubes that need biasing are the ones in the power section
its not brain surgery if your just replacing tubes its really easy
the best thing to do is get the same tubes in the power section
Last edited by THE-KID654 at Apr 2, 2008,
Quote by tr3nt
Even if i'm $20 in gas and 3 hours of my life away from the nearest tech?

I SERIOUSLY doubt you'll have any problem changing tubes in it. All Mesa amps are fixed to a certain bias point and don't require manual biasing. All you have to do is take the old tubes out and put the new ones in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah I was about to say that^

just keep in mind when you order tubes to mention what amp you have.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I guess it does depend on the amp. Some have self-biasing or a fixed bias; just do some research before retubing it. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. My point was if your amp doesn't have those features and the bias was way off it wouldn't sound right, the life of the tubes wouldn't be as long, and if it was biased really hot you could fry something in the power section. From other peoples comments it sounds like your amp is self-biasing or fixed bias so I don't think you'll have to worry.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Could someone suggest me some tubes? I'll check out some sites too. Thanks alot, do they just pop in and out?

i dont have enough experience with different tubes but you can just pop them in and out. Make sure that when your order power tubes that they are within your amp's bias range.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
My amps at my drummers house, does anyone know off the top of their head what I'll need? Will I also need like preamp tubes?

Quote by tr3nt
My amps at my drummers house, does anyone know off the top of their head what I'll need? Will I also need like preamp tubes?

You probably won't need preamps, but it might be a good idea to replace them anyway just incase.

It looks like you can put either EL34s or 6L6s in it. EL34s will get you more of a Marshally sound, 6L6s will get more of a modern sound. Either one are good, just depends what you want, you'll have to set the bias switch on the back appropriately whenever you put them in. If you have the stock tubes in it, it should have 4x6L6, 6x12AX7 and 2x5U4 according to Mesa's website. You probably wouldn't have to replace the 5U4s as they're rectifier tubes and last quite a while, but if you wanted to you always could.

As for brand, I'd suggest JJs in the Power Amp and Tung-Sols in the Preamp.

The tubes don't necessarily "pop out," they'll require some good pulling to get them out and you'll probably have to move them back and forth a bit to get them loose since they've been in their for a while. Putting new ones in is easy though. I'd suggest using the old ones to move in and out of the sockets a few times just to clean out the connections though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Apr 2, 2008,
I think it has 2x 6L6, and 2x12AX7.. I don't have 12 tubes.

Quote by tr3nt
I think it has 2x 6L6, and 2x12AX7.. I don't have 12 tubes.

If you look at the picture, the 6 big ones in the front are the 6L6s and 5U4s, the 4 on the left being the 6L6s, 5U4s on the right. The silver cylinders sticking up behind those are the 12AX7s, they're covered and you need to take the covers off to get the tube out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh! I gotcha, sorry I really don't know anything about this..

Quote by tr3nt
Oh! I gotcha, sorry I really don't know anything about this..

Haha, no problemo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
But wait, if I persistently use my amp on it's half power rating, (50w) is it only enabling two of the powertubes and half of the preamps? So tubes should last twice as long? Or no?

Money is short right now lol.

Quote by tr3nt
But wait, if I persistently use my amp on it's half power rating, (50w) is it only enabling two of the powertubes and half of the preamps? So tubes should last twice as long? Or no?

Money is short right now lol.

Edit; I'm pretty sure the original owner said he used it on half power also.

And wow I just quoted myself.

When it's in half power mod it still uses all the preamp tubes and only two of the power tubes. so yes two of the power tubes might not be as worn out as the others. You could try swapping the left two power tubes with the right two, but I would just replace them.

http://tubedepot.com/
Look around that site at the 6l6, el34, 12ax7, and 12au7. They have descriptions on the site what the various tubes sound like.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
You could try swapping the left two power tubes with the right two, but I would just replace them.

It would be swapping the inner with the outer tubes. If I were you, I would just retube it. It isn't expensive at all and you have fixed biasing, so it is just swapping tubes. I recommend JJ's.
Not expensive? It's like $30 for two powertubes, I need two of thoes, so $60. and the preamps.

up?

Ehhhh??

i got my pair of power tubes for $35
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12