Page 1 of 2
Ok this is just a question I'm asking...

I'm English but my girlfriend is American, what constitutes a yankee? My girl is southern. I'm confused by the colloquial lingo used, especially when Brits refer to Americans as 'yanks'. What would a southerner be classified as? What is a 'yankee' exactly?

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the USA...
redneck
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
If she is from the South, then she is NOT a yankee. Southerners are confederates, and they also have sex with their sisters and marry their cousins.

Sorry to break the bad news to you about your girlfriend.
Quote by COBHC6
redneck

really hope you're kidding... it's the exact opposite...

It's someone from the far northern part of the US
Quote by eds1275

I'm English but my girlfriend is American, what constitutes a yankee? My girl is southern. I'm confused by the colloquial lingo used, especially when Brits refer to Americans as 'yanks'. What would a southerner be classified as? What is a 'yankee' exactly?

mmk?
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by eds1275

yea but some of the british people here use it to mean rednecks **cough**mistressibanez**cough**
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by eds1275

I live in the north so I can confidently say that you are completely wrong.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by guitarmannn
If she is from the South, then she is NOT a yankee. Southerners are confederates, and they also have sex with their sisters and marry their cousins.

I'm afraid he is confused... That does not happen down here. However, men and women up north are only distinguished by the adam's apple as they all have deep annoying voices and have hair in the same unspeakable places.
I've never actually heard an American use that term. But in the 19th century, a yankee was someone from the north. So i dunno, use it how you like. I would just call a southerner a southerner. And to COBHC6, not all southerners are rednecks. Only the uncouth ones.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Well, according to every Brit I've ever played with on Xbox Live, every US citizen is a "Yank" and eats exclusively at McDonalds.

Generally though, a Yank, or Yankee, refers to those who live in the Northeast. People from the South are usually known as Southerners or "rednecks."
Quote by thsrayas

You're an idiot. Maybe to a jackass yankee faggot it means something else, but to anyone in the rest of the country, Yankee = person residing/from the North (east)
Ok I think I get it now. I have read 'Gone With the Wind', where the division is quite clear. I think the result is, Brits refer to every American as a 'yank' even though its incorrect.
Quote by guitarmannn

Why don't you go **** yourself and die?

Anyway, a yankee is any uptight snob who lives in the north eastern United States. States that are considered north eastern are Maryland, Delaware, Massachuesets (sp?), Pennslyvania, New York, etc. Southern states are: Virginia, North/South Carolina, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Yankee's lack the class and sophistication of us southern folk and are typically dicks.
Quote by eds1275
You're an idiot. Maybe to a jackass yankee faggot it means something else, but to anyone in the rest of the country, Yankee = person residing/from the North (east)

Dude, seriously?

Go play in traffic.

The adults are trying to have an intelligent discussion.
Quote by rock_and_blues
Why don't you go **** yourself and die?

Anyway, a yankee is any uptight snob who lives in the north eastern United States. States that are considered north eastern are Maryland, Delaware, Massachuesets (sp?), Pennslyvania, New York, etc. Southern states are: Virginia, North/South Carolina, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Yankee's lack the class and sophistication of us southern folk and are typically dicks.

You're really doing a good job of proving that claim.

Can we please not turn this into a geography war? There's trashy assholes in every part of the country.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I prefer not to be called a "Yankee". (that's not meant to be a jab at you TS)
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by COBHC6
redneck

Quote by eds1275

Quote by thsrayas

Quote by eds1275

You quoted the guy who said that people from the south are rednecks, said he was wrong and that rednecks are from the north. I then corrected you because yanks are from the north and rednecks are from the south. Then you proved that I was right and acted like a jerk in the process. Congrats on looking stupid.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
I had a feeling this might turn into some sort of fight between Americans from different parts of the US.
Quote by I am Samuel
Florida

What part of Florida?

Florida's a complicated state.

It's like the South in the norther part of the state (where it's closer to Georgia and Alabama), but the farther south you go into the state the more different it becomes, and becomes less like the South.

But, to answer your question, in the South, "Yankee" is just a term used for someone who lives farther north than Virginia, and no farther west than West Virginia, places like New England.

Also, depending on where she's from in Florida, she may not have a "name". Most people just call people from the South "Southerners".
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by I am Samuel
I had a feeling this might turn into some sort of fight between Americans from different parts of the US.

IT'S A TRICK!

THE BRITS ARE TRYING TO ATTACK US AGAIN!

...Only they're starting on the inside this time...
Quote by SupremeACL
I prefer not to be called a "Yankee". (that's not meant to be a jab at you TS)

Yeah, Yank/Yankee is usually said as an insult, in my experiences anyway. I see it the same as if I were to call you (The TS) a Redcoat or something.
Quote by fallenangel20
What part of Florida?

Florida's a complicated state.

It's like the South in the norther part of the state (where it's closer to Georgia and Alabama), but the farther south you go into the state the more different it becomes, and becomes less like the South.

But, to answer your question, in the South, "Yankee" is just a term used for someone who lives farther north than Virginia, and no farther west than West Virginia, places like New England.

Also, depending on where she's from in Florida, she may not have a "name". Most people just call people from the South "Southerners".

It's right at the top of Florida, near the borders.
the english have names for every country eg mick yank etc, strangely there are none for england apart from english bast@rd or english cvnt which are quite common where im from.
im a yankee i guess. depending how strictly you define the term anyway.

southerners dont really have a name like that. i guess just southerner.
Quote by I am Samuel
It's right at the top of Florida, near the borders.

Well, she may be considered a "redneck", if she has a stronger accent, but, otherwise, really, I can't think of a "name", like Yankee and such. But, like others have said, they CAN be seen as insults, but they're petty insults at best, IMO.

Seems weird that I can't think of many more at the moment, though, since I'm from Georgia.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
fallenangel20 hit the nail on the head, due to the mass imigration of northerners to southern Florida it has lost some of it's southern qualities. Although if she can trace her roots there back about 50-60 years then it shouldn't be a problem.
Redneck isn't really a general term for southerners, it means poor white trash southerners. And contrary to popular belief, us southerners are pretty friendly people (as long as you're white and protestant )
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
People from California, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois are sometimes called Yankees as well.
Fender MIA Telecaster with DiMarzio noiseless single coils
-Fulltone OCD
-Ibanez Analog Delay
-Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender Blues Junior
Fender MIM Jazz Bass with Noiseless pickups
Mesa Walkabout
Epiphone AC200SCE Acoustic
Quote by thefuzz454
And contrary to popular belief, us southerners are pretty friendly people (as long as you're white and protestant )

Huh, I wonder where all you friendly folk were when I drove through Oklahoma and Texas. Just about everyone I came in contact with seemed like kind of an asshole. Not making a generalization, it's just what I personally noticed. I can't hold that against you though, since you showed me the greatness that is Whataburger.
Quote by happytimeharry
Huh, I wonder where all you friendly folk were when I drove through Oklahoma and Texas. Just about everyone I came in contact with seemed like kind of an asshole. Not making a generalization, it's just what I personally noticed.

Same here. It seemed like everybody was an ass to me once they realized I didn't speak with a southern accent.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by I am Samuel

I'm English but my girlfriend is American, what constitutes a yankee?
Within the States, it's used to refer to someone from the North. Extrenally, it's a term for the whole country, and a lot of Southerners will get offended if you call them that.
My girl is southern. I'm confused by the colloquial lingo used, especially when Brits refer to Americans as 'yanks'. What would a southerner be classified as?
Aside from 'Southerner,' I'm not really aware that there is a term.

It's coo'.

To all the people getting all "omg my region is better than your region": shut the fuck up.
I lived in both worlds, north and south, and I have to say, people from the north are in general assholes. Especially when driving, serious road rage. If you are black, avoid Vider Texas, 'cause they are not very nice. i.e. They will hang your ass.
Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

Due to current financial restraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. -The Management-
Page 1 of 2