I have a Jackson js30t, and I got a free pair of EMG HZ h4's from my friend. I put them in, after about 3 hours of work, and strummed, and there was way less output than my stock jackson pickups. Are they really that horrible, or is something wrong with mine maybe?
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
What height do you have them set at?

They might just be lower output than the stock pickups.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
you probably didnt put them in right sept i don't know much about emgs cuz I personally don't like them so that's all I can tell you.
You probably don't have them set high enough as I wouldn't think it would cause much of a noticable drop in output.

But to answer your question, yes they really are horrible, though probably better than stock Jackson pickups.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i think the passive EMGs get a bad rap because of the active pickups EMG offers and people generally compare the two against each other.
i've got the ZW set in my SG and i couldn't be happier, but that's beside the point. when compared to other high output passive pickups, they're one of the better ones, but like i said, they don't come close to the active pickups that EMG produces. try adjusting the pickup hight and if that doesn't help your situation, go to a trained professional and see if they can offer any insight on your problem, because i highly doubt that the EMGs are making your guitar sound bad, especially if it's a jackson, because they tend to go very well with EMG pickups.

hope this helps...
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
they aren't horrible, they just aren't anything like active EMGs so people dismiss them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
they aren't horrible, they just aren't anything like active EMGs so people dismiss them.

I dissagree.

I had HZs in my old Jackson and they were the muddiest pickups I've ever had, though they could still get tons of gain.

My Strat originally had Selects in it (for some odd reason) and the output was absolutely horrible and couldn't compare to the output of low output amps, it actually made my Mark IV sound like a Fender Bassman in the gain department. The pickups were muddy yet again, undefined, muffled sounding and harmonics were horrible. I changed them out for some DiMarzios and the guitar has come to life x10. I actually have some of the lowest output DiMarzios in it too and it can play metal quite easily on the singles, still retaining tons of clarity and harmonics.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the height set up extremely close to the strings. And I'm positive I wired it correctly. I don't think ive grounded it correctly, but would that make such a big difference in sound?
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Whats funny is i own a set and dont know what they sound like, when i got my ESP those were installed. When i purchased it i just gave it a strum on some cheap amp just to make sure it worked. Then first thing i did when i got home was put it on my work table and strip everything out of it and throw the HZ's in the tool box with all the other pickups. Then installed the 81's...
Quote by konkordmusk
I have the height set up extremely close to the strings. And I'm positive I wired it correctly. I don't think ive grounded it correctly, but would that make such a big difference in sound?

I'm not too knowledgeable in this area, but I do think that improper grounding could have an effect. It's supposed to be grounded to the bridged, if you don't know.