Page 1 of 2
So lately I've been practing sweeping a lot and now I'm decent at it. I thought it was something that took a long ass time to learn, but it's only been 8 months since I've been playing and I can sweep at decent speed already. I never practiced sweeps before either. It seems once you get the basic motion down, it's becomes a bit easier. So I dunno why people make it sound like it's crazy hard. I think at this pace in another month I'll be really good at it. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to play the solo to stabwound by necrophagist

Who here can sweep and how long did it take you guys?
go you...
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
i'm actally lerning at the moment...i never really gave thoughts to solos with a spider web wound to it so i just started on complex soloing like tapping and otehr things ...last november and sweeping is something i never got around to yet..i hope it's fun
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Quote by SexSlave
Video or Banned.

dude chill i hate when people go around reporting people and such
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
hard as **** for me, i think it depends how fast your fretting hand is, i have a slow as **** fretting hand
Yeah, Its definitely the initial hurdle of learning the motions that I think is the hardest. Although, You should probably record yourself doing them and really judge yourself honestly. See how fast you can play and still play accurately and cleanly. That imo is the most important part of learning. Don't just go for speed.
Quote by Rizzo228
dude chill i hate when people go around reporting people and such

Its a joke.
yeah dude same here took me 2 months of practicing sweeps to get to where im at...and i had never tried them before...

type in "sweep picking my nose" at youtube...

necrophagists is bad as hell too
Quote by giantsfanftw
So lately I've been practing sweeping a lot and now I'm decent at it. I thought it was something that took a long ass time to learn, but it's only been 8 months since I've been playing and I can sweep at decent speed already. I never practiced sweeps before either. It seems once you get the basic motion down, it's becomes a bit easier. So I dunno why people make it sound like it's crazy hard. I think at this pace in another month I'll be really good at it. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to play the solo to stabwound by necrophagist

Who here can sweep and how long did it take you guys?

haha im would be amazed for you to be able to play that, hey maybe youll warm up with some apreggios from hell?

By the way what you think is decent might in rality not be, just a warnig in case you go to GC try to sweep and get tottally pwnd
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
honestly sweeping is so weird to me i just pick really fast i can sweep one song and its Painkiller by Judas Priest when Tipption Sweeps in the one part and it fells so weird but good for you dude,i really don't like sweeping its over used by Metal anymore,what happened to the blues man...
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Sounds like you're practicing effectively and efficiently. Any technique on guitar can be learned and applied quickly if you practice effectively and efficiently. Good deal for you, man. Most people play for hours and learn nothing.
Quote by rubbertrumpet
Yeah, Its definitely the initial hurdle of learning the motions that I think is the hardest. Although, You should probably record yourself doing them and really judge yourself honestly. See how fast you can play and still play accurately and cleanly. That imo is the most important part of learning. Don't just go for speed.

Ya I try to play as clean as possible
I would love to see a video of this.

I would really like if you post a video of you playing stabwound solo.
Quote by giantsfanftw
Ya I try to play as clean as possible

Yeah, you will probably be able to advance rather quickly. I know for some people it just comes more naturally. I didn't even try to play them for about a year or more after I started. At first I couldn't do it at all, but then the motion just came to me and my speed dramatically increased within several weeks.
Quote by I'm Murdoc
sweeping and chores are for women. real [guitar-playing] men don't sweep.

ahaha thats funny
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.

Quote by jwax
honestly sweeping is so weird to me i just pick really fast i can sweep one song and its Painkiller by Judas Priest when Tipption Sweeps in the one part and it fells so weird but good for you dude,i really don't like sweeping its over used by Metal anymore,what happened to the blues man...

so you're saying that arpeggios are overused? techniques are just a way to open up more musical possibilities in your playing, and that is always good.

oh and good for you TS, good for you
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
im just saying i hear it in everrry metal solo dude like i mean ok its part of metal but its so used to much and i know its ways to open up your possiblities but im not a "new" metal boy i am a Maiden and Priest Metal boy lol.

I agree with jwax in a way. Sweeping for the sake of sweeping is overused. Lots of bands out there will run up and down the exact some arpeggio several times. However, if it is well implemented, Arpeggios can create some awesome sounds.
yeah thats i i meant what rubbertrumpent said it its just there to be like "hey i can sweep"
idk it dose sound cool as long as you can do it right,i still miss the blues haha

Quote by jwax
yeah thats i i meant what rubbertrumpent said it its just there to be like "hey i can sweep"
idk it dose sound cool as long as you can do it right,i still miss the blues haha

ya man i agree,
i like the way necro uses sweeping but a lot of new metal and hardcore bands are killing it
Quote by SexSlave
YOU,ARE.A.GOD.

I'm so adding you.

How long have you been playing?

ahah thanks man

ive been playin a lil over 2 years
Quote by lilmario
ya man i agree,
i like the way necro uses sweeping but a lot of new metal and hardcore bands are killing it

i just had to quote that thatt is exacttly what i ment and you freaking rock the guitar dude

I personally love the sweeping part at the end of Selkies: the endless obsession by btbam.
yea i feel the same way. ive been practicing them for about a month and a half or so and i can play no boundies at about 110 bpm... weird huh?
lilmario wrote:

ost a vid of stabwound. im gonna learn it soon.

check this vid of me playin symbiotic in theory and tell me wut u think

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GLPPT86Qxjk

Man you are awesome!!That solo totally kills...Love how its so melodic, and you nailed it great job.I've only been play a year and a half and all I can do is 3 to 4 string sweeps..And still no where near to your skill man...
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
Quote by lilmario
post a vid of stabwound. im gonna learn it soon.

check this vid of me playin symbiotic in theory and tell me wut u think

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GLPPT86Qxjk

Excellent playing mate. You've got great gear too for what you play.

I've not got sweepin down yet but it's not a high priority for me either. I'm more interested in Paul Gilbert style picking atm and am practising that, aswell as alot of fingerpicking acoustic stuff. Good to have variety
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by I'm Murdoc

bwhahahah
I can do one 5 string sweep by Yngwie Malmsteen up to speed. I've been playing for a year, but haven't really focused that much on sweeping. Only been practicing it for a little over a month.

Alternative picking is my main goal :p
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You should point me towards a lesson that actually explains it in detail enough for me to understand, I've been trying to sweep for oh I don't know, three months.. All the notes blend together and sound like **** (no I'm not playing a chord, I do know what a sweep is). I find it rather hard to do, so congrats!
Quote by I'm Murdoc

he does have a point. string skipping is pretty elite.
Quote by sangosimo
he does have a point. string skipping is pretty elite.

Depends.

Sweeping can be much harder than string skipping depending on the shapes you do. String skipping is fairly straightfoward and about 90% of people fail at maintaining strict alternate picking when their doing them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
damn that was some awesome sweeping, makes me wish i tried to prgress earlier on in my playing.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Page 1 of 2