I can't even play a simple solo like in "All Right Now" by Free while using a pick. When I use my fingers though, I can do it no problem. Do picks give you any advantages over using my fingers?

btw the part that I screw up on was this part and is terribly easy:

I use my fingernail as a pick, I can barely do 8th notes at 120bpm with a pick!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I use picks. It was hard for me for about a year to get comfortable with them. My preference is stubby/small picks. Its all a personal preference issue.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Doodleface
I use my fingernail as a pick, I can barely do 8th notes at 120bpm with a pick!

Can you still play difficult solos and stuff though? And I'm not talking about my fingernails, I'm awesome when using the tips of my fingers to pluck.
pick gives a bit trebly sound
IMO pick is better sounding and easier
but if you like to play with fingers just go with it
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I think that you are more limited if you use your fingers. If you are into metal like most people on this site, you can't really play riffs with your fingers. Also, if you listen to any great alternate picking Guitarists Like John Petrucci, Michael Romeo or Yngwie Malmsteen, they play really fast alternate picking solos that would be almost impossible to play with fingers at that speed. On an electric guitar it's pick all the way, with acoustic fingers might make more sense, just my opnion
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.

"Arguing online is like racing in the Special Olympics- Even if
you win you're still retarded."

"You cant spell crap without rap"
It may seem hard to use them now, but if you don't start now, you'll regret it. Trust me, get good using with a pick or you'll spend so much more time learning to play guitar all over with a pick.

It's real easy to pick up bad habits, and this is in my opinion one of the worst.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I prefer fingernails over picks anytime, i find it way easier to play solos and stuff, while im using a pick im always slow on it. Downpart is that your fingernails eventually wear out xD

But if you want to do like One Metallica solo then i would use a penny, sounds better then picks
well I play chords and stuff with one of those picks that you can attach to your thumb and for when theres tremelo picking, but I prefer soloing with my fingers.
ever hear of Mark Konfler from dier straits he uses his finger very very very well
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by Metal_Militia2
I think that you are more limited if you use your fingers. If you are into metal like most people on this site, you can't really play riffs with your fingers. Also, if you listen to any great alternate picking Guitarists Like John Petrucci, Michael Romeo or Yngwie Malmsteen, they play really fast alternate picking solos that would be almost impossible to play with fingers at that speed. On an electric guitar it's pick all the way, with acoustic fingers might make more sense, just my opnion

I learned to play DT's "Constant Motion" fingerpicked one day because I was really bored... and the riff to Glasgow Kiss. That one was actually easier to play fingerpicked imo.
Seriously though, it's not like you have to use a pick. Look up 3, especially Joey Eppard. He fingerpicks most, if not all, his lines, including his electric stuff, and he's got some crazy riffs. It's a completely different approach, but it's not like you have to use a pick.
That said, you should at least be comfortable with one. It will feel weird at first, i sucked at fingerpicking for months because I started with a pick. Once you're comfortable both ways, write and play in both styles and see what you get. The results will be completely different.
Quote by Metal_Militia2

Except for guitarists like Joe Pass. The point is, each has pros and cons, and there are things you can't do with your pick that you can do with fingers and vice versa. Wes Montgomery played with his freakin thumb.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
picks are good because they give a more treble-y sound are used in metal/hard rock a lot and those songs wouldnt sounds good without a pick. they only problem with them is that they are so easy to lose(i went through 2 packs of 12 in a month)
i don't use picks either as they seem to get in the way for me. i'm practicing 16th notes right now and string bends as transitions. alt picking but not using fingernail on upstroke just tip if finger.

does anyone know any famous rock/metal guitarists that primaily use thier fingers? Slash? I read in an interview with him that he said he likes to use his fingers so he can feel the strings better and for tone. But everytime I see him play it looks like he has a pick.
Quote by Metal_Militia2

Im a pick player... But pick is actually far more limiting. Good fingerpickers can play way faster the those guys you mentioned.

That speed however is really hard to gain with fingerpicking.

Check this guy out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJS9uc0zhTQ

NO WAY IN HELL FINGERPICKING IS LIMITED. If anything is pick playing that gives limitations in versatility.