I have a schecter c1 hellraiser with emg 81/85, i play mostly metalcore and death metal type stuff(think Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Gojira, etc...) and i am aware of how easy it is to swap emg pickups so i thought maybe switching the 85 to the bridge for a change, how would this sound compared to the 81? i know some people such as Adam D. of KSE and Jon Donais of Shadows Fall use the 85, anyone tried it? thanks for the help.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
85 produces more overdrive, but the 81 has the tone to it, btw you better not be mixing actives and passives
I've heard it cleans it up, but I've never tried it.

I'm guessing the warmer tone of the 85 in the bridge will give you a more crushing sound. Don't trust me though lol.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by Ghold125
85 produces more overdrive, but the 81 has the tone to it, btw you better not be mixing actives and passives

He's talking about switching the places of his two EMGs...I sadly know what it sounds like when you mix actives and passives...but now I have two actives, and everything's better now. But yeah, you'll get more drive if you put the 81 in the neck and the 85 in the bridge. I just don't think it'll sound as good, but, my opinion doesn't mean a thing. If you can do it without screwing them up, experimenting with pickup combinations can help you find new, impressive tones. And if you don't like it, you can always switch it back.
Ibanez...and Tama drums...are the coolest.
if you're aware of how easy it is, why not just try it and find out? There's no substitute for your own ears since they're what the tone has to please, not ours.
Quote by strat0blaster
if you're aware of how easy it is, why not just try it and find out? There's no substitute for your own ears since they're what the tone has to please, not ours.

Well i just wanted to know if it was pointless before i went and spent seven bucks on new strings, i'll probobly try it soon, i'm also considering the 18v mod, anyone done this?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Try it out, but for me with 81 in bridge, the 81 has far more bite and the 85 in neck is smoother and glassier. Im trying to think of a song where I would use the 85 for rhythm. Love? By strapping young lad is probably one of those songs. IDK if that helps out or whatever but...yeah.
The 85 in the bridge is br00talz.

It's got far more omph to it. Great for riffing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know some people like the 85/60 combo, but see that you play metalcore and death metal, it probably isn't the best idea.