Poll: Would you do it?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you do it?
Of course! I want to go to another planet or something
8 36%
Hell no, I would die!
14 64%
Voters: 22.
Inspired by the Determinism thread: I pose to you this classic philosophical question.

Suppose that teleportation is developed in the near future. A person enters the machine, an advanced computer (that has somehow solved Heisenberg's uncertainty principle) reads the body's entire chemical makeup including electron positions, and transmits the data to another planet, where the atomic structure of the body is rebuilt, such that it is in the exact neurophysiological state as the body that entered the teleporter. The first body is then deconstructed.

Question: would you enter the teleporter?

*Intelligent, well-thought out responses only please.
This is a stupid question.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see your note there about intelligent, well-thought out responses. Allow me to rephrase.

It is my conjecture that the question you pose is hypothetical and irrelevant, and thus a superfluous addition to any intellectually stimulating conversation.

Better?
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by lrata
*Intelligent, well-thought out responses only please.

If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Probably only if someone else had done it first, and returned in one piece.

+ sixdigitnumber
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Gunpowder

It is my conjecture that the question you pose is hypothetical and irrelevant, and thus a superfluous addition to any intellectually stimulating conversation.

Though your vocabulary is impressive, the use of the word "superfluous" combined with the nature of your post is an excellent example of "irony"
i wouldnt do it, the "me" on the other end would only be an exact duplicate of me, my memories thoughts etc included, the only thing is, the "me" typing this would cease to exsist
Quote by lrata
Though your vocabulary is impressive, the use of the word "superfluous" combined with the nature of your post is an excellent example of "irony"

The nature of your post betrays your confusion as to the definition of the word "irony," specifically relating to the value of my post in the parameters of this thread.

Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by nt1440
i wouldnt do it, the "me" on the other end would only be an exact duplicate of me, my memories thoughts etc included, the only thing is, the "me" typing this would cease to exsist

I completely agree with you. Though some are inclined to disagree, arguing something to the effect of: "if the same matter is used, then its really the same person and I would be dying." I don't quite understand this though, maybe someone that holds that point of view could shed some light
I probably would not, because I cannot think of a reason to.

EDIT: I agree with nt1440.
sup?
Quote by Gunpowder
The nature of your post betrays your confusion as to the definition of the word "irony," specifically relating to the value of my post in the parameters of this thread.

I concur. I think.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Probably only if someone else had done it first, and returned in one piece.

I'd prefer a statistically significant number of people actually. One person is not statistically significant.
Quote by lrata
I completely agree with you. Though some are inclined to disagree, arguing something to the effect of: "if the same matter is used, then its really the same person and I would be dying." I don't quite understand this though, maybe someone that holds that point of view could shed some light

it basically comes down to there being an exact duplicate of you coming throught the other side, but the one that goes into the telepoter, ceases to exsist

i wouldnt do it because the ME here would die, even if an exact copy did go on living
Since when is anything involving teleportation a classic philosophical question?

But anyways, the answer is no. It's something that will never be possible in my lifetime, so I won't bother coming up with a more elaborate answer.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Then your machine wouldn't be a "teleporter"

It would be a cloning machine
albeit a long distance cloning machine

Copying then destroying the existing body doesn't move it, it copies it
so in theory if you didn't destroy the first one, you could have two exactly identical people

A teleporter would have to move the original atoms
not copy the original atoms
Quote by sneyob
Then your machine wouldn't be a "teleporter"

It would be a cloning machine
albeit a long distance cloning machine

Copying then destroying the existing body doesn't move it, it copies it
so in theory if you didn't destroy the first one, you could have two exactly identical people

A teleporter would have to move the original atoms
not copy the original atoms

theres a way that explains what i was saying
no because A, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle will never be overcome. We will never accurately measure the particle. and B, Murphys law hates me.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Quote by tyronelab
I'd prefer a statistically significant number of people actually. One person is not statistically significant.

Touché, my post wasn't thought trough, but what I meant was that I would only enter the machine if I knew it was relatively safe.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Touché, my post wasn't thought trough, but what I meant was that I would only enter the machine if I knew it was relatively safe.

i.e. more than just an arm and a leg make it through

(or worse, everything makes it through but not in the right order)

i get what you're saying
I'd do it for $20.

$20 says that was an intelligent answer.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by sneyob
i.e. more than just an arm and a leg make it through

(or worse, everything makes it through but not in the right order)

i get what you're saying

Yeah. It'd suck if you were "teleported" and you ended up with a penis on your forehead.

(Chances are, if you "went through" with even molecules out of order, you'd be dead soon after. Think of the ramifications of even slight changes; punctured heart, internal bleeding, bits of bone or muscle realigning in the wrong places...you'd be dead pretty quickly.)
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Dirge Humani

FUCK ROCKS!
Im guessing your trying to get at the "Will you still be You, after exiting the teleporter on the other end". Maybe. Im a realist on the whole issue and think that there is a core "self identity" that would remain the same on the other side. After that lapse in conciousness during the reconstitution of the body and mind, this core would still be the same. The "first person identity"(mental and physical attributes, the one that changes), on the other hand will probably change, i think but im not sure. Thats part of the Mind and Body problem in epistemology and is still unsolved to this day.

I don't think determinism is correct in this with its "all or nothing" concept of personal identity. For example, if my parents named me something else at birth. Determinism says that i would not be what i am now. I would not be the same self. I dpn't think that thats correct.
Anyways, i will end my post here cause i could probably go on and on.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
anyone read micheal chrichton's Timeline?

When people went through the time machine too many times they would start having problems with mis-aligned parts

like this cat that had like an extra eye and it's body wasn't lined up
(It's left side was higher than it's right)

good book
the problem is how would you get back? the teleporter can get you there, but the return home

Quote by daytripper75
apparently nobody has seen (or read) Timeline, or maybe The Prestige for that matter.

I've seen The Prestige... That's why I wouldn't do It. (Not because of the movie, but because I'd be killing myself every time I'd use it.)
sup?
+1
Quote by MightyAl
There once was a UG'er from Saskatoon
Who asked the Pit to do his homework
So I wrote him a limerick about wanking
That doesn't rhyme
And isn't really about wanking anyway.