Hey fellow musicians,
I've been playing for about a year and a half and decided it's high time i started writing a bit of music. My only problem is... I CAN'T DO IT! I can't write riffs or even a simple lick. So, how do you guys do it? Because I am dying to know. Thanks in advance guys .

-Berko
Think of stuff in your head and transfer it to your hands, rather than just fiddling around. It's quite easy to do if you have some basic theory knowledge.
i just piss around with the minor and major pentatonics in standard, or just play waht sounds good to me in alternate tunings.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Learn some simple scales, like the major and minor scales, even if its just the box positions. Then, i would just fool around with the scales. For me at least, it would be easier to write music if i had lyrics and at least a simple melody to put chords or riffs behind.
Well I do have a bit of theory knowledge and can navigate fairly well around the fretboard, but when it comes to putting notes or chords together, I just lose it.

-Berko
well generally when i write stuff i try not to force myself to make something. 99% of the time i think of things at a random moment rather than when im trying.
Quote by z4twenny
me?
1 - plugin
2 - turn on
3 - GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, thats helps alot. thanks
That's the jizz
Quote by z4twenny
me?
1 - plugin
2 - turn on
3 - GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your post did not help me at all, bravo. Thank you.

-Berko
Edit: Thank you to the poster above me
I just play random stuff and if I play something cool all alter it then in my mind another riff stems off from that which I then just try to play
Quote by degeneratex14
Well I do have a bit of theory knowledge and can navigate fairly well around the fretboard, but when it comes to putting notes or chords together, I just lose it.

-Berko

That's your problem- you're just trying to randomly pull stuff out, and it usually doesn't work out so well, even for more experienced songwriters. The key is to come up with something, even just a little minute melody, and try to build off of that, not just through wanking, but in your head. Don't think of songwriting as just a guitar thing, but rather as a separate entity, and of the guitar as a vector for music to be played.

It's hard to do it when your trying really hard to think of something, but a good way to get started is just to wait until a simple melody comes to you, then write it down, play it, learn it. Then, see if you can't find a chord progression that you'd like to play it over. Don't just think- do. Hum the melody while playing some chords under it, things like that. It's a lot easier if you are inspired by something, ie you just heard something that you really liked and it's got you thinking of all sorts of variations.

That's how I do most of my writing, anyway, and I like it. It's made easier if you have the ability to read and write sheet music, or otherwise you could transcribe it into Guitar Pro or PowerTab or something.
Quote by degeneratex14
Your post did not help me at all, bravo. Thank you.

-Berko
Edit: Thank you to the poster above me

well you did say

"how do YOU do it?"

which implies, how do i do it. i told you. you're welcome.
Another approach, is to get some staff paper, and choose a random key signature, random time signature, and write random notes with random values. Then figure out how to play it and see if it sounds good. This way you are certain it is original, but it will usually sound not too great.
actually you dont have to know any theory to be a good player, but knowing theory definitely helps the music become more progressive. You just have to be a creative person... take lots of shrooms or acid, thatll help that.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Well, that's what Zen is for.

You plug in your guitar, get a proper state of mind, then POW! riffs start flying out of your hand .
My advice is to record yourself the whole time when this happens. In a proper Zen mode, we usually lose control of our fingers.
you have to know your basics, and lots of chords so you have stuff to work with, but just try to capture emotions, and then when you feel a certain way, just start playing what you feel, or if there is a song that you like, play it, and then just jam on it and you will get something original.
Quote by BadgeMan
I think this is fitting -

e-3-------------------
b---3--3-5-3--------
g-----------------3-4
d-----------------4-5
a-----------------4-5
E-----------------2-3