I was looking at some specs for the Thinline Tele and I noticed under Fingerboard Radius it lists it as 7.25 in.!!! That cant be right? thats extremely thick. The way i am interpreting that spec is that is how thick it is around the neck, or am I reading it wrong? If it is correct the way I am interpreting it, thats huge. All my guitars are around 5 inches around the biggest part of the neck. Can somebody clarify this please?!
Fingerboard radius has to do with the curvature of fingerboard not the thickness of the neck.

I think nowadays 12" is standard, so you'll probably want to play that specific guitar to make sure you like the feel and can bend well enough.

To put it simply the larger the number, the flatter the neck of the guitar. It all comes down to feel, but the general consensus is that flatter necks are better for bending (slightly) and curvier necks are more comfortable for chording (slightly).
Last edited by T!AN at Apr 2, 2008,
It means that if you were to draw a circle with a radius of 7.25 inches, the fretboard would have the same curvature to it as the outside of the circle. if you dont understand, then draw a circle with a radius of 7,25 inches. then you'll understand. its not that big a radius
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by T!AN
Fingerboard radius has to do with the curvature of fingerboard not the thickness of the neck.

I think nowadays 12" is standard, so you'll probably want to play that specific guitar to make sure you like the feel and can bend well enough.

To put it simply the larger the number, the flatter the neck of the guitar. It all comes down to feel, but the general consensus is that flatter necks are better for bending (slightly) and curvier necks are more comfortable for chording (slightly).

Thanks. I actually am more of a chord-based guitarist so I think that vintage radius of 7.25 and scale length of 24.75 would do me good, especially cuz i Have small hands too. It makes sense now.