Whats a good tuning and distortion pedal for metal? I play guitar alot and have a bass and mess with it ever week or two. Lately I'm getting a band together and I'm playing bass, its going to be metal as stated before. Any tips and pointers would help massively !

Thx in advance guys.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
I see, so what pedal would be good for that then? Or amp or what have you.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
just play metal bass, no need for gain, maybe a little for tone, yeah, but just play it well, add more bass and mids to the sound and cut the treble back some, for tuning, maybe drop-D or D-standard for less lameness, but standard works fine too
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
I see, thx like I said I don't know much about this type of stuff so any and all information helps .
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
if your bass has seperate pickups solo the bridge one and play near the bridge youl get a real nice growl, then put a little bit of dist

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I like my Digitech bass driver (with heavy distortion, but with the dry signal mixed in strongly), and I pair it with an octave pedal, hopefully soon to be replaced with a Micro POG. Mind you, I'm a bass n00b, so I'm expecting someone to come in here soon and tell you I phail.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
theres the cleaner growling that most of these people are telling you about. that sounds good to isolate the bass from guitar to play your own parts. i think its tough to find the sound and highly depends on your equipment. not sure what to reccomend. as for mixing in with the distortion i dont play in a band but i think bass is great for bringing in a powerfull low end distorted sound, kind of like playing power chords on guitar except the distorted bass can add a lot more power and could be used in way to add to the music at appropriate times. same way guitar could be brought in to add some presence to the higher end. im not sure which pedals and amps would be best but i play around with a boss odb-3 for distortion but im sure theres better pedals out there. you can figure out how to tune it to get more low end drive or higher end. also pickups help, like some of them already mentioned so play with the balance on your pickups to see which side works better for what you want.

btw, low gain overdrive would probably help the growling.
Last edited by theWallofYAWN at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
Play near the bridge, solo the bridge pickup and boost those low mids.
You need no distortion. Just let your bass growl.

+Fitz
a bass does not require effects pedals to be aggressive. it's all about EQ and fingers.
effects were designed to try to emulate high-end guitars, played through high end, overdriven amps. this does not apply to bass. get your skills up, and leave the effects to the guitar playing(can't afford the good stuff) wanna be's. a compressor and a touch of chorus is plenty for me.
Quote by Time Seller
As said above, fuzz > distortion/overdrive.

Falsch!

Bass fuzz in a metal band setting would get you buried pretty deep in the mix.

The best is an overdrive, IMO. It retains enough of the original signal so that you don't get buried, but it can make you sound dirty enough to satisfy your raunchy needs.

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
+Fitz
a bass does not require effects pedals to be aggressive. it's all about EQ and fingers.
effects were designed to try to emulate high-end guitars, played through high end, overdriven amps. this does not apply to bass. get your skills up, and leave the effects to the guitar playing(can't afford the good stuff) wanna be's. a compressor and a touch of chorus is plenty for me.

Hey hey hey... let's be more open-minded about effects. You can't deny the fact that bassists such as Justin Chancellor, Tim Commerford (to an extent), Brian Cook, Jeff Caxide, and many other bassists who use effects use them to great effect, and not just trying to emulate guitars.
Quote by Charlatan_001

Hey hey hey... let's be more open-minded about effects. You can't deny the fact that bassists such as Justin Chancellor, Tim Commerford (to an extent), Brian Cook, Jeff Caxide, and many other bassists who use effects use them to great effect, and not just trying to emulate guitars.

Though you must admit, that bass does not use as many effects as guitars tend to
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You know, you always get the best results when you search for the tone yourself. Try everything you find in this thread, mix it, bring in other stuff, alternate, do everything.

Just follow your heart. And your ears.

Personally, i use the great beginner pedal Boss ODB-3, overdrive for bass, relatively cheap, and it's probably gonna outlive you. Built like a tank. I only use a little overdrive, and cut the volume of the neck pickup to about half. Boost the mids a bit. Also, i find a heavy pick helps me achieve that powerful punchy knock-you-down-and-eat-your-children tone.

But just experiment. That's almost the best part of playing. Good luck, mate.
Fler Ismaskiner!
I would probably actually use a little more treble than i do normally to get an agressive sound - if the treble's down, it can sound mellow, like a more normal bass tone. whereas if it's up, you'll get more of the other noises, like the pick/fingers hitting the strings. etc.
I might be wrong on this one, but in my experience if you leave your bass in drop D it can lose some of that "warble-y" (made up word!) sound. although constantly tuning up and down can break the strings.

On the subject of distortion, you really don't need it in my oppinion, i would say it can sound heavier without. Distortion on a bass is not like distortion on a guitar, it makes it sound a bit like a synth sometimes, eg: Muse etc.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Though you must admit, that bass does not use as many effects as guitars tend to

Generally true, but Justin Chancellor has more effects than most guitarists I know... put together.

Quote by Eklund
You know, you always get the best results when you search for the tone yourself. Try everything you find in this thread, mix it, bring in other stuff, alternate, do everything.

Just follow your heart. And your ears.

Personally, i use the great beginner pedal Boss ODB-3, overdrive for bass, relatively cheap, and it's probably gonna outlive you. Built like a tank. I only use a little overdrive, and cut the volume of the neck pickup to about half. Boost the mids a bit. Also, i find a heavy pick helps me achieve that powerful punchy knock-you-down-and-eat-your-children tone.

But just experiment. That's almost the best part of playing. Good luck, mate.

The Ibanez PD-7 is cheaper than the ODB-3, and IMHO, is a LOT easier to get a good sound out of.
Might be true. However, my local music store didn't have any Ibanez-pedals at all, but i like the Boss pedal, so I don't complain.
Fler Ismaskiner!
I find that for metal the most distortion you want is a touch of overdrive. Any more gets you buried in the mix. Getting a good tone will rely on your EQ and the sound of your bass. A gain boost froma good overdrive pedal (e.g. Fulltone Bass Driver) can give that little extra dirt should you so require.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1