I was wondering, is the Vox Valvetronix series any good? Since it's a hybrid tube amp, does it sound as good, if not better than a regular solid-state or a pure-tube amp? I was planning to invest in a AD15VT or a AD30VT. Any insight on this?
I've got a valvetronix, and I love it. But I'm kinda mad because there is a hole in the speaker right now, and I don't know how it got there.

edit: That amp also has a lot of cool effects, which save you money on pedals
Last edited by Thrax129 at Apr 3, 2008,
Yeah, I've had one for almost a year. It's been a good amp, but I find the amp modeling (the high gain settings, in particular) to be a bit lacking. It's definitely not as good as a genuine tube amp. However, like Thrax said, the effects are a nice touch and many are definitely usable. The reverb is especially good.
Quote by MmmCesium
They make good practise amps but they're nothing you'd want to gig with.

I use my 50 watt and its fine :O
Quote by MmmCesium

but would the 50watt or 100watt versions be any good to gig with?
So should i get an AD15VT or an AD30VT? idk if I'll gig yet, but ill most likely use it when i go to my friend's house, who is a drummer (will it be enough to hear over drums?) and my other friend comes over who is another guitarist, and he does rhythm guitarist. So which will it be?
Quote by MmmCesium

Erm, I can use my AD30VT to fill my school hall...despite the fact it says for rehearsal in my sig.

AD30VT series is great but the Nu-Metal setting is unbelievably horrible.
I have an AD50VT and I am very happy with it. You can get a very versatile range of tones from it. As for gigging, it is certainly loud enough to fill a school hall type venue, any larger place would probably have you miked into the PA so it wouldn't be an issue.
I gigged with my AD30VT miked up at my school hall. It's defintetly a fantastic amp (at a good price as well) and I'm sure it will serve me well until I make the leap to an all valve amp.
Quote by wolfy808
I was wondering, is the Vox Valvetronix series any good? Since it's a hybrid tube amp, does it sound as good, if not better than a regular solid-state or a pure-tube amp? I was planning to invest in a AD15VT or a AD30VT. Any insight on this?

Hybrid amps are no more than a gimmick, but the Vox is a good amp for its price range. It wont compete with a good valve amp. But its easily the best youll do tonally without going for a 5 watt valve.
Quote by wolfy808
So should i get an AD15VT or an AD30VT? idk if I'll gig yet, but ill most likely use it when i go to my friend's house, who is a drummer (will it be enough to hear over drums?) and my other friend comes over who is another guitarist, and he does rhythm guitarist. So which will it be?

Go for the 30 or better still get a 50, you can adjust the power output on the 30 upwards so you don't need to worry about pissing off the parents or neighbors.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
i swear by them. it sounds soooooo much better than almost any solid state ive ever used. its not quite as good as a full tube amp but they are versitle as ****. You can play pretty much anything from blues to Thrash Metal on them (i play metal on mine all the time)
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Im currently using my brothers AD15VT because my classic 30 is waaay to loud for my current living situation.
They're really great amps, and youcan get some lovley tones out of them.
I do find that even with the bass on minimum, its still rather bassy though, which can muddy up the sound a bit.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
Great little practice amps. Nowhere near tube quality, of course, but about as good as it gets for reasonably-priced solid states. Good, I certainly wouldn't want one as my main amp though.
Well, yes but I take it that you are a more experienced player. For A beginner of intermediate player they are a good main amp. Better than a spider.
I am comparing this with a Roland Cube 30x. I dunno which one to get as most people are 50/50 with it. The Vox is more expensive though for 30watts
Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
I am comparing this with a Roland Cube 30x. I dunno which one to get as most people are 50/50 with it. The Vox is more expensive though for 30watts

I have the exactly same dilemma.
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Megallica Dude
I have the exactly same dilemma.

I was exactly the same, it was a choice between a Cube 60 or AD50VT but the store happened to be out of Cube 60's so my mind was made up for me. I'd go for the Vox.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Cubes are geared for metal...Vox is better for everything but metal
Damien Rice === Legend
Quote by guitarguy182
Cubes are geared for metal...Vox is better for everything but metal

Not really.

The Vox's have a tube in the preamp, so there is a little bit of authenticity to it.
You really need to crank it to get the best tones.
I had a Vox AD30VT and it was okay, not a bad amp. I play mostly classic rock and i found it sounded too digital for my liking, i ended up with a Epiphone Valve Special Amp, and it suits my needs better for rock. They both have effects, I find the Vox effects were pretty lame, and the epiphone effects ok, but i would never buy an amp in this price range for its effects. I got a better deal on it too, but that might just be because I got a better deal.

PS - I used a DS-1 Distortion Pedal with both of them, however the vox had its own footswitch and 2 channels 9the Epi only has one channel and a gain setting).
I quite like the effects on the vox, plus you get a feel of what each one does. So its quite educationial for the beginner. Also it DOES do metal, and very well.
I have been using the 50watt version for over a year now and i have had a couple of issues...

For some reason, mine is built like crap and the input repeatadly used to fall into the amp (its superglued now).
Some days it sounds really good, but others it just sounds like a big fuzz...

Im probably being very fussy as it is only a practice amp, and in that field itss perfectly fine.
I have a Vox AD50VT and its great.

You need to underatand that its not the same as other Hybrid amps.
Most hybrid amps have a tube in the preamp and then a solid state power section, which isn't
much good. the Valvetronix series has a modelling/computer preamp, then the signal goes to a
low-wattage tube poweramp-ish thing and then a solid state power amp.

So basically you've got your modells of all those cool amps, then what is essentially a small scale tube power amp and then a solidstate power amp to make it all loud.

these are great amps but the trick is that they sound best when cranked up. its ok at bedroom levels but it definatly sounds far better loud, kinda the opposite of a Line6, which is designed to sound great in the store and in the bedroom but sound like **** on stage.
i have a roland 15x cube and a vox ad30vt. i will tell you the cleans and reverb on the vox are really awesome but the distortion channels are very muddy, so if you do go with it get an overdrive pedal or something to help clean it up. the cube has very nice distortion and is a bit lacking on the clean channel. so really it depends on what you want to do with your amp.
metal/hard rock=roland
blues/jazz/classic rock=vox
mine isn't to bad... I would still prefer a tub amp over it..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by TheDriller
I have a Vox AD50VT and its great.

You need to underatand that its not the same as other Hybrid amps.
Most hybrid amps have a tube in the preamp and then a solid state power section, which isn't
much good. the Valvetronix series has a modelling/computer preamp, then the signal goes to a
low-wattage tube poweramp-ish thing and then a solid state power amp.

So basically you've got your modells of all those cool amps, then what is essentially a small scale tube power amp and then a solidstate power amp to make it all loud.

these are great amps but the trick is that they sound best when cranked up. its ok at bedroom levels but it definatly sounds far better loud, kinda the opposite of a Line6, which is designed to sound great in the store and in the bedroom but sound like **** on stage.

Agreed, I love mine, crank it up to get the tone then back off the output power if you don't want to piss off the neighbours. You can get some really great tones from it if you play around a bit however the heaviest I get is Zep or AC/DC so I can't really comment on it's ability to do Metal.

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
on the issue of apparant muddyness:
Its all a matter of balancing the gain, volume, master volume, and power out controls.
Ideally, you want to have the power out as high as possible, so set this high and turn the front-panel volume down.

It has also been said that these amps could benifit greatly from a better speaker. apparantly the tone gets even better if you put in a celestion or something.
Quote by TheDriller
Its all a matter of balancing the gain, volume, master volume, and power out controls.
Ideally, you want to have the power out as high as possible, so set this high and turn the front-panel volume down.

It has also been said that these amps could benifit greatly from a better speaker. apparantly the tone gets even better if you put in a celestion or something.

Mine came with the Celestion speaker as standard

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
How much is a new AD30VT?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
How much is a new AD30VT?

Around £120

Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Quote by TheDriller

Mine also came with a Celestion. And also turn the power out to low, as it sounds better cranked.