Ok, so i recently came across this beauty at a pawn shop near my home. My luthier told me it is an Epiphone Super-Strat, but im not yet convinced. I have found nothing on the web about this guitar, so i figured theres gotta be someone who knows whats goin on here. Let's start with some specs. Ok well i dont know the numbers on it (scale length, nut width, etc.) but i can tell you some generals. First off, no serial, no "made in", 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, maybe alder body? (maybe mahogany), looks to be mahogany or maple neck, two single coils and a humbucker in bridge position, old (maybe phony?) floyd rose floating trem, says Epiphone on slim headstock, but says gibson on truss rod cover (prolly not original). The pickups have an "I" painted in the right hand corner of them, they are of noiseless design (no poles on 'em), 1 volume knob, 1 tone, 5 way pickup switch, locking nut, and thats about all on the generals. One thing that caught my eye was that on the underside of the bridge (back off guitar) it says "Jinah". I've tried to figure out what that means to no avail. Could be a manufacturer, model, or somethin else entirely. No clue there. This guitar could just be a frankenstein beast for all i know. I mean, it did come from a pawn shop... I'm in love with this guitar and i would just like to know the year range and make/model to better describe it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and if there's anything else that could help, let me know! Thanks!
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ApolloTSI/pictures/gear/264425/264426
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ApolloTSI/pictures/gear/264425/264427
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ApolloTSI/pictures/gear/264425/264428
Home-made guitar. I don't think you would find Gibby truss rod plates on epiphones. I don't think Epi makes super-strats either. Thats pretty cool though.
um...did you even think of searching "epiphone strat" on google? thousands of results and images....

they DID make them a long time ago.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
hmm my friend has an Epi G-400 and it says Gibson on the Truss Rod cover too... weird.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
i dont think its a SUPER strat...as far as i know its an epiphone strat. that is all.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by Wikipedia
Superstrat (sometimes spelled as super strat or super-strat) is a name for an electric guitar design that resembles a Fender Stratocaster but with differences that set it clearly apart from a standard Stratocaster, usually to cater to a different playing style. Differences typically (but not mandatory) include more pointed, aggressive-looking body and neck shapes, different tonewoods, increased number of frets, usage of humbucker pickups and Floyd Rose tremolo system[1][2][3].

There is no formal definition for a superstrat[3], the categorisation is still largely left to popular opinion and depends greatly on the artist(s) associated with a particular model and how it is marketed. Many superstrats are specialized for heavy metal music played with distortion under high gain.

According to wiki at least, it's a superstrat, but like it says, it's pretty broad and subject to opinion.

Epiphone S-800 if it's a bolt-on neck or S-900 if it's a set or neck-through. That's my best guess.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 3, 2008,
thatd be cool if it is homemade, or close to it. it makes me proud to have something original. im just gonna call it the Franken-strat. I still dont know about that "jinah" on the bridge or the pickups but i really appreciate you guys takin time to check it out. Keep em comin! btw, any ideas on the year range? and i looked up epiphone strat and the headstock on mine looks quite slimmer in design than that of the ones i found on google. could be a non-stock neck. ahh oh well. its the freakin franken-strat from now on lol.
-Epi LP Ultra
-Mashall MG100HDFX half-stack
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-'51 Fender Pro-Amp Model 5A5 TV Front (sexy beast)
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
is it bad to bump on this forum?
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
Yeah they're quite common around here believe it or not.

They're just epiphone superstrats really. I think some had Kahler trems, not sure. I believe the scale length will be the same as every other gibson guitar and the body wood is likely to be mahogany. (take the neck off and check if it's bolt on)
yes it is bolt-on. its got that 4 bolt plate on the back, under the heel; typical of most MIM strats. ive heard these were made in USA in their earlier years tho? but theres no "made in" or serial number painted anywhere on the instrument. bridge says floyd rose on it, so i think its an earlier floyd or just a copy of one.
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
Well I'm not too sure where it'll be made, a lot of the people who have them here say they picked them up from a pawn shop cheap or had them as first guitars.

For the wood, unbolt the neck and take a lood at the grain to tell what wood it's made out of.
That is a Korean one. I have an X-1000 which was the top of the line version of those with a neck through body, MOP, pseudo ebony plastic finger board, and a (useless) Steinberger double locking tremolo. No clue on the wood. That was the bottom of the line for the SuperStrats, so it's most likely plywood. Maybe poplar or basswood if you're lucky.
well if thats the case, and i honestly dont think it is, then im glad i only paid 90 bucks US for it. All the same, its built like a tank and feels as such. The sound is comparable to my Epi LP Ultra in my opinion with a little sharper, brighter tone. But thats prolly cuz the LP has those hollowed out chambers for weight reduction and warmth. itll be a welcomed addition to collection nonetheless.
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
i think youre ridiculous..i hate people who post with nothing productive to say...only negativity. i simply named it that because the neck is not original, the pickups are not original, the paint is not original, even the hardware is not original. its a pawn shop freak of a guitar that i love, so go play your little silvertone and get over yourself. thanks
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
It's an Epiphone S series. They were built in the late 80s/early 90s. I'd email the folks at Epiphone for specifics.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by ApolloTSI
i think youre ridiculous..i hate people who post with nothing productive to say...only negativity. i simply named it that because the neck is not original, the pickups are not original, the paint is not original, even the hardware is not original. its a pawn shop freak of a guitar that i love, so go play your little silvertone and get over yourself. thanks

People have told you what it is, and you're neglecting it.

I'm not being negative. You're just hoping for something more--when the answer is right infront of your face.
Well i half expected that to be an epi coronette ( not sure if it's spelt right) they look sort of like a strat.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Epiphone made these guitars in the 80's and they're supposed to be pretty alright too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by HandsomeFrank
People have told you what it is, and you're neglecting it.

I'm not being negative. You're just hoping for something more--when the answer is right infront of your face.

???. How am i neglecting it? I understand that it could be an S Series and after researching im almost sure of it. I am not hoping for more, that just doesnt make sense to me. it is what it is and im just grateful for coming across it at such a price. now please, im sorry for arguing cuz that's not my style but when im accused of being naive and ignorant it kinda gets to me. thanks to everyone else for ur priceless information and help concerning the matter. ::
btw, is it wrong to name your guitars? is it such a big deal to name it the franken-strat? i mean come on, im sure youve heard of guitarists naming their instruments and just because this isnt the name of a woman, it doesnt count? .....bah, im done with ranting lol.

Kurapica- Yes, that is what my luthier told me as well. I love the tone of this guitar. for some reason it just sounds well with my amp setup and effects. i didnt even have to do any major tweaking to get the sound i wanted, it was just there. it's fate, i tell ya.
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
Last edited by ApolloTSI at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by ApolloTSI
well if thats the case, and i honestly dont think it is, then im glad i only paid 90 bucks US for it.

You did not get a USA buddy; I have a book that clearly states these as Korean. May be in my BlueBook too if I can find it. Good players, crap construction.

btw, is it wrong to name your guitars? is it such a big deal to name it the franken-strat? i mean come on, im sure youve heard of guitarists naming their instruments and just because this isnt the name of a woman, it doesnt count? .....bah, im done with ranting lol.

A Frankenstrat is a term for a parts mutt. By calling a totally stock guitar that, you not only look like a poser, but a complete idiot. It's not so much an issue of you naming as you just looking like a douche to the general populace.
Quote by CJRocker
You did not get a USA buddy; I have a book that clearly states these as Korean. May be in my BlueBook too if I can find it. Good players, crap construction.

A Frankenstrat is a term for a parts mutt. By calling a totally stock guitar that, you not only look like a poser, but a complete idiot. It's not so much an issue of you naming as you just looking like a douche to the general populace.

I was referring to the fact that you said it could be plywood and that i only paid $90 in U.S. CURRENCY, not thats it an American guitar. Reading the post kinda helps. And i know for a fact that the neck is not stock, nor are the pickups (whole guitar rewired) or hardware for that matter. The dealer told me, my luthier told me, and i have a pair of eyes myself. Sure they're prolly parts off of the same model guitar but generally that mean its still not stock. Wtf is up with the bashing anyways? Are you that lonely? You have to resort to arguing with a guy who was just askin about the kind of guitar he has? I suppose you can call me a poser, or douche, or idiot, or whatever but the simple fact is: I study music, have played for the better half of my life and write more prolifically than you sleep...or hate on other people, if that's what you do more. Music and musicianship are my life. Im not tryin to say im better than anyone for that, but if you dont know me, dont be so belligerent towards me. I guess i can call that guitar The Hater-Slayer if that will appease the "general populace", as you say. Kudos to you, good sir, for the inspiration and im sure i'll be seeing more slanderous posts in my direction. Keep em comin.
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB
Last edited by ApolloTSI at Apr 7, 2008,
At least name your guitar something original... When I hear frankenstrat I think Eddie Van Halen.

Anyways, I'm glad you like the guitar. Cheers.

-Cedric
Hey, I used to have one just like this!! Mine had the set neck...or was it neck thru? Locking nut and Kahler trem, coil tapping, and the color had that white-ish pearl look to it that you see on Cadillacs..it was pretty sweet. I sold mine though, just cuz i never used it...i sure miss it now...might have been a collectors item.. heres a pic if your curious...and to put those "homemade" rumors to rest....

ahh excellent, yours is quite the beauty. mine doesnt have the binding or the cool inlays. but finally, a definitive post regarding this guitar. thank you
-Epi LP Ultra
-Tama Imperialstar
-Epi "Hater-Slayer"
-Fender Ultimate Chorus
-Fender US Strat
-Wechter Pathfinder A/E
-Washburn D-10SB