Posting on behalf of a friend. He has about $200 USD to spend approximately, well we r in Australia, and guitars are expensive as here. Weve been considering a Ibanez GRG170, which costs $350AUD (even though our dollars worth nearly the same as yours now

Anyway, My mate really likes my Ibanez RG Prestige, so we're thinking the GRG 170 might be the way to go, and we can put a few extra screws in the back of the trem to make it fixed.

Would there be any other guitars that would be a better choice for the money? We can only really afford the entry level models from the good brands. My mate mainly plays metal.

The most annoying thing ive found about cheap guitars is the tuners, like on my crappy Epiphone, so a guitar with decent tuners would be good.

Oh, also is there any difference between the GRG170 and the RG321 apart from the pickups and the bridge?

Thanks for your help
RG's & Mesa's
There's a difference.

Build quality and tonewood selection would be the big difference.

The Gio Ibanez guitars are great for beginners but not much else.

I'd say get a Epiphone Dot Studio but I know they like to inflate the prices down under. :p;
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Tuners? Are we talking an acoustic here, or what? But yeah, Ibanez is the metal geetar, so sure. Tell you friend to try to buy used, so that change will go further, unless he has no ear for such matters as of yet.
You could also try the Yamaha Pacifica, that seems to be a popular choice for a beginners guitar, and it has a humbucker at the bridge. Im not too sure about build quality though.

Theres also an ESP LTD M-50 for around that price i think, although it didnt impress me when i tried it

EDIT: Dot studios ar like 2x the price of the Ibanez :P
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Last edited by BFun at Apr 3, 2008,
So the ibanez wouldnt be much worse than any other guitar for that price?
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by XianXiuHong
Strings cost 17 bucks a pack ;(

I have no trouble getting D'Addarios for $10.
I get Ernie Balls down here for $5.

You could check for used Ibanez RG321's.

Does he have any amp ideas?
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Save $100 more and pick up a Ibanez RG2EX1.

Awesome guitar.
This is my Signature.
Quote by 1570-Shred
I get Ernie Balls down here for $5.

You could check for used Ibanez RG321's.

Does he have any amp ideas?

Where do you get $5 Ernie Balls?
yeah i get $6 Daddario's in melbourne

Buy them in bulk of 3-10 packs off ebay
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by BFun
You could also try the Yamaha Pacifica, that seems to be a popular choice for a beginners guitar, and it has a humbucker at the bridge. Im not too sure about build quality though.

Not so good. I have one that was my first guitar, and the humbucker died almost immediately out of the box.