Page 1 of 2
Okay well I'm looking at getting either of two guitars, I am a beginner when it comes to solid bodies. Both of these are roughly in my price range and both are amp + guitar packs. (All prices are in $AUD)
They are either the Squier Bullet Strat for - $298
http://www.completemusic.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProdID=305
or the Squier SE Special Strat for $429
http://www.completemusic.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProdID=304

Which is better? They both come with a SP-10 practice amp and are both on sale.

I don't have any money to get a better amp for either.
I don't play metal and I'm just looking for a good beginners solid body.
NOSE PICKING IS GROSS! Fingerpicking is NOT!
Quote by Kanthras
Kinda like finger condoms.
Last edited by InsaneWeTrust at Apr 3, 2008,
I'd personally skip both. Most guitars that come in starter packs aren't that great unless you're just beginning.
Maybe try a Squier Telecaster custom?
http://www.completemusic.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProdID=112

PAC012 The Yamaha PAC012 is our lowest priced, solid body electric guitar. It's comfortable neck, fast action, versatile pickup configuration and affordable price make it an excellent first time electric guitar.
Solid Agathis Body
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
1 Humbucker/2 Single Coil Pickups
Chrome Tuners
White Pickguard
Vintage Style Chrome Tremolo
Black, Red Metallic, Dark Blue Metallic Finishes
Limited Lifetime Warranty

pathfinder 10
Circuitry: Solid-State
Output: 10-Watts RMS
Speakers: Vox Bulldog x 1 (6.5", 8 ohm)
Controls: Gain, Treble, Bass, Volume, Clean/Overdrive Switch, Power On/Off
Input: Input Jack
Outputs: Headphone/Line Out Jack
Dimensions: 380mm(w) x 260mm(d) x 170mm(h) / 14.96"(w) x 6.69"(d) x 10.24"(h)
Weight: 4.8Kg/10lbs

...i choose you pickachu
i have a bullet and its not that bad. the amp sucks though. if you're looking for a beginning guitar, it's decent, just don't expect it to be great and wonderful.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Gonna go in and have a play of the bullet and the Pacifica tomorrow.
Quote by Kanthras
The Pacifica has Agathis wood. Don't go expecting it to sound great.
The bullet strat is made of basswood, whereas the SE and the Yam Pacifica are both made of Agathis. Which will sound better?
And as I said, I am only a beginner so I'm not looking for anything really good, what I'm looking for is something in that price range.
Quote by Kanthras
Quote by True Dreams
trust me squires = crap

Thats just unjustified - Squiers are admittedly a bit variable in quality of production but for alot of people they are good affordable guitars.

However the pacifica package is a great idea. I've played pacificas and for the money they are very good.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Okay...

Time for a little rant, but beforehand.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Rant Time

Look, Don't get me wrong I'm really thankful for the help. But my question that I posted was which was better.
The answers I got back were telling me to buy other guitars. I've seen this happen in so many posts so far. I don't mind the fact that people are suggesting different guitars, but noone actually answered my question.
I posted this question because those were the only two that I knew of which I could buy in my local area within my price range.
True Dreams did the closest to that by actually looking into the site and finding a deal I hadn't seen.
I stated at the top that I was a beginner, I stated that I was looking for a good beginners solid body. My question was which of the TWO guitars I posted was the better. No-one answered that. All I got was "Squier is crap", Yeah well that comment isn't even useful. Squier isn't crap, It's cheap. Which is exactly what they are made to be.

Thank you for your help those that did help.
And moe thank you for your advice on different types of wood.

And thank you MadSalty, It's good to get some advice from someone who's played the yamaha's as I've only played fender in my life. I'll give all three packages a try and then pick one...
Quote by Kanthras
OK i own a squire fat strat.
and iv played a a bullet strat.

i like my fat strat better...though the bullet strat was abit similar though the feel of it is different and the sound is abit different compared to the fat strat as well.

im saying go for the yamaha because the amp ur getting with it u will want to keep it for ages because it is a good practice amp and the guitar is pritty good for the price. i like the pickup setup on the yamaha =]

but try b4 u buy =]
The Special is a great little starter guitar. I have a 20th Anniversary Special Affinity Strat, and in 6 years it's never let me down. The electronics are quiet, the neck is comfortable and it's quite nicely finished. When you can afford it, a better amp will really let her shine. The only thing that lets her down, really, is tuning stability (especially when the whammy is used), but it's not a major issue.

Just get her, and have a positive attitude towards her, you'll enjoy her for many years to come.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Insanewetrust, what styles of music do you like, and what is your current budget?
$400 AUD at maximum. (Maybe $450)
But I don't really have many options as to where to go to buy my guitars
I play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but pop/rock is I guess what you'd call it. Throw in a bit of punk and messing around with a bit of jazz. Never metal though.
I'm a beginner and I'm just looking to finish my range.
I have a nylon and a steel string, now I want a electric solid body.

Thanks happy-and-lost. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I love any guitar I get and to know that it will keep going for a couple of years makes me happy.
Quote by Kanthras
Is there any chance of you getting the Squier special as just the guitar?
Because I highly recommend the Roland cube over the amp that comes in the pack, and you may just be able to afford the squier and the roland if lucky.
Just buy a mexi-Strat. You're limiting yourself to two turd-sandwiches when there's a nice footlong meatball sandwich right next to them. If that means you can't afford an amp, just get one later. Out of the two your provided, go with the cheaper one. There's no point spending $100 more because in the end, it's still a Squier.
The Squier Special is better than the bullet, but they both come with the same BAD BAD BAD amp. So you should try go to a guitar shop and play a Squier Special and see what ya think. Then instead of getting the rubbish amp you get with that, get something like a Fender Champion 600 (amp), for a little extra.
Last edited by ze monsta at Apr 3, 2008,
ze monsta, that amp is WAY out of his price range.
t1337dude, Mexi strat's cost 800+ dollars in Australia; Again, that is WAY out of his price range.

TS, What about an SX stratocaster copy, and a roland cube?
I'll see what I can do with the music store, I know the guy that does all their piano tuning and am in really good with most of the guys there because I recommend so many people through to them.

So if i can get a good combo for a good amount of money then I will.
Quote by Kanthras
Quote by Moe.
t1337dude, Mexi strat's cost 800+ dollars in Australia; Again, that is WAY out of his price range.

TS, What about an SX stratocaster copy, and a roland cube?

yeah...what this guy said...
they say SX strats are close to standard strats but i dunno....and roland cube is good enuff to fap over lol
Quote by InsaneWeTrust
I'll see what I can do with the music store, I know the guy that does all their piano tuning and am in really good with most of the guys there because I recommend so many people through to them.

So if i can get a good combo for a good amount of money then I will.

Alright nice, it's always good to have 'connections'.
Good luck also.
I reckon, tone wise, when you improve you will recognise the difference in a modeling amp, and a tube amp. But yeah, if you're not really sure about anything, I guess a Micro Cube is the best place to look.

So, look at the guitars in the shop, play them, try to get a feel for them, but don't be embarrassed to ask questions. Definitely ask them about amps, but don't let them try and sell you a crappy Line 6 Spider or a Marshall MG... I think the Roland Micro Cube, and the Vox DA5 are good amps for beginners.
Last edited by ze monsta at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Moe.

There needs to be a sticky about the relative price of gear across the world. Americans don't realise how good they've got it when they recommend a great piece of gear (i.e. Fender Blues Jr., $450 in the US, but equivalent to $650 USD in the UK and $900 USD is AUS)...
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by happy-and-lost
There needs to be a sticky about the relative price of gear across the world. Americans don't realise how good they've got it when they recommend a great piece of gear (i.e. Fender Blues Jr., $450 in the US, but equivalent to $650 USD in the UK and $900 USD is AUS)...

I agree.
It'd be really helpful and useful and what not, because I'm sick of American's underestimating customs taxes and price increases. (Not their fault, I know..)
I've taken to doubling the prices completely whenever the Americans talk.
Half for exchange rates and another half for customs and retail ripping off.
Now I'm having to add another half because of inflation.
Quote by Kanthras
I've been looking around and your worse off for guitars than the UK. I think it would be beneficial if you bought a better quality Squier. So i've searched around and found an Affinity Series Strat for $259.00 AUS

Now obviously you will need an amp. But that poses a problem in australia, you're abit stuffed however for $199.00 AUS you could then get a KUSTOM - 12 GUAGE Combo. I've never used them but it might be worth stretching your budget a little bit to accomodate a better amp. It gets great reviews and has a 12" speaker so it may be quite good (i'm not recommending an amp on the size of the speaker by the way). Alternatively of course you could go with the Roland Micro Cube (I've played one and it's a god practice amp) but that would be stretching your budget even further to $470 + delivery, but it might be worth saving and spending a little more. You could reduce this by buying say a Fender Frontman but they are inferior quality to the other options.

Anyway, i hope you reach a good decision.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
You should really think about getting THIS. I know it's not one of the two you're asking about, but you really should look into it. I'm pretty sure guitar center has some form of international shipping, and the guitar would only cost you $273.93 AUD at current exchange rates. It's a better guitar than the ones you're asking about.
Quote by Airman Kai
You should really think about getting THIS. I know it's not one of the two you're asking about, but you really should look into it. I'm pretty sure guitar center has some form of international shipping, and the guitar would only cost you $273.93 AUD at current exchange rates. It's a better guitar than the ones you're asking about.

The conversion rate might be $273.93 AUD but i'm guessing shipping a guitar from the US to down under is going to cost far too much for it to ever be viable.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by J rock
squier's are a waste of money

And what are you strummin', hmmmmmm?
Quote by Airman Kai
And what are you strummin', hmmmmmm?

Ibanez RG's
ESP's
LTD
Seagull acoustics
Ibanez acoustics
various others
Ibanez 5 strings...............
Last edited by J rock at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by J rock
Ibanez RG's
ESP's
LTD
Seagull acoustics
Ibanez acoustics
various others
Ibanez 5 strings...............

I'm very happy for you. Drink your Haterade elsewhere.
I second the Affinity, out of the cheaper end of the Squier line they'll be the best bang for your buck (plus they're made out of alder, compared to basswood and agathis that is definitely a plus). Either that or try and get an SX strat.
If you are on as much of a budget as you say, why not get a squier affinty tele or strat (just make sure you can play it before buying to insure that it is nice...frets are smooth, no fret buzz, pups work, etc) and then pick up a cheap practice amp that is nice. You don't want that amp! Try a Roland for only 99$. That would put you at ~$350. Almost $100 cheaper than the 2nd package you mentioned and a lot nicer. You don't need a strap. Just buy yourself a cheap tuner and get a method book to work through.
~Nick
Our roland micro cubes are $199.00 on sale.
The mexican fenders are $899.00 on sale.
that brings that to a whopping... $1198
Normally I can get maybe a $400-500 discount on my stuff but when it's on sale I've got no chance.
Quote by Kanthras
Quote by Moe.

+1, Affinity series are just a bit better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So the story with today huh?
Well I got off school and headed into my local music store.
3 or 4 clerks tried to attach themselves to me and I shook them off and found out who their resident solid body expert was.
Sat down explained my situation to him, told him what I wanted and why I wanted it.
He asked me a few questions like what I wanted to play, then kinda gave me this look and asked me what I'd do with the guitar when I wanted to move up. Straight off I said "When I finally decide to upgrade I'd keep it and play it for myself no matter what it sounded 10-15 years down the track."
Soon as I said that he excused himself and came back with a guitar and a Roland Cube. He took the guitar off the wall and taken off the tag set up the amp and the guitar and handed it to me. I played a little bit and fell in love with the sound and the fact that it was a fender.
I asked him how much... $500 square and it was all mine if I never told anyone how much it cost me.
I told him I'd have to think about it and get the money. He took the guitar away and as he did I got to see the tag... American Deluxe...
I almost pissed myself and ran down to my local ATM, drained my accounts and went back in. My mum who was going to be picking me up came in and wanted to see the guitar. He did the same procedure of taking off the tag, because he really did not want anyone to know what he was doing.
I had a play and it still sounded and felt wonderful, I pulled the $500 out of my wallet and my mum chucked a psych fit, grabbed the $500 which I've been saving out of my hand and went off at me in the middle of the store screaming that she deserved the money to pay bills and whatnot and that if i brought home a guitar my brother would kill me because he's paying all the bills.
The clerk walked over when she started and took the guitar away very quickly and was like "Do whatever you want she deserves it but remember a guitar is for art not a weapon".

So pissed off at the moment... Mostly because my mum had been backing me on buying a guitar thought it was a great idea.

I'm now at the point where if I didn't love and respect them so much I'd smash my acoustics into her car and never touch a guitar again.

P.s. The clerk is Legit, he got fired from his last job for doing what he was trying to do for me. He sells the guitars and amps at and sometimes below cost price to people he knows will love and respect them. The guy who does all the piano tuning for my region and is a close friend of mine recommended him.
Quote by Kanthras
shoot the b!1ch.
farrr out mayne thats an awsome deal.
i feel so bad for u.
u should tell ur mum ur making profit and its not her monehh ne ways >.> or il come down there and shoot the b!1ch.
not..really..
Page 1 of 2