Thought i'd come here for some opinions on what I should get first.
I got an Ibanez RG1527 (7 string) last year, and it came with edge pro III tremolo, some muddy pickups and crap strings. I figure that itll cost $300-$350 to get the tremolo set up, new strings put on and two better humbuckers.
I'm also looking at buying an Ibanez AGS83B (semi-hollow), and i'd be putting a $300 deposit on the lay-by, plus $50 for a stand that can hold more guitars.
I can't do both, but there are only 2 of those hollowbodies in store, and I can do the 7-string anytime, but then again there are other hollowbodies out there.

If you want to recommend a guitar you think is better, look through here, but i'm looking for a guitar under $1000, anything around $1200 is pushing it.

Thanks for any input.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Any reason you need to get it from that particular store? Their price on the guitar you're looking at is much higher than most other places.

Also the guitar you're looking at is a full not semi-hollow.
I'd rather get an Epi Sheraton II, because they're super hot and sexy. The one you listed is kinda black and meh looking IMO.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by T!AN
Any reason you need to get it from that particular store? Their price on the guitar you're looking at is much higher than most other places.

That stores the only one in the area that has them, the other stores either don't stock Ibanez or dont sell a huge range of Ibanez guitars.

EDIT - Also, remember its in Australian Dollars, and it'll cost the special price listing.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Apr 3, 2008,
Random fun fact #35a:

"Not every Ibanez comes with an Edge III"

The RG1527 is a Prestige model and does not come with an Edge III. It has an Edge Pro 7, which is a very nice trem and at least equal in quality to an OFR.

Secondly, why the hell are the strings a problem?

Get a new pack for a couple of bucks and just change them.

As for the pickups being muddy, while they aren't the most exciting pickups in the world, they're not too bad. The sound you're getting might have more to do with the quality of your amp or your ability to EQ than with the pickups.

Keep in mind that replacing pickups is pretty damn expensive and without a nice, responsive amp, it won't make too much of a difference.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by T!AN

Prices in Australia suck. Being Australian means he's gonna get raped.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The RG1527 I got came with an edge III. Regardless, i'd want it set up.
I'd put elixer strings on, which would cost almost $30, might as well get it done when the edge III and humbuckers are getting done.
Humbuckers arent the worst, but I want great humbuckers on any guitar I own, not average ones.
My amp is a Fender FM65R, i'd say it's fairly responsive.

And yeah, Aussies get raped in prices due to importation fees.
Quote by Vornik
It's intersesting that your RG1527 has an Edge III since:

-it's a six string bridge
-it's not made for seven strings

So either Ibanez made an Edge III 7 just for you, or it's not an Edge III.

If it doesn't have an Edge Pro 7, it's not an RG1527.

On some (cheap) older models of Ibanez seven strings you had the LoTRS7 trem, which is essentially a regular LoTRS (cheap trem), but they were never used on high end instruments.

The RG7420, which was Japanese, has one, but this was before the "Prestige" label was introduced.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Apr 3, 2008,
Just did some background check on the RG, it does have an edge 7. Salesman said it was an edge III, now I look rather silly
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood
Just did some background check on the RG, it does have an edge 7. Salesman said it was an edge III, now I look rather silly

That was one terrible salesman

I mean, the Edge III isn't really a selling point...

Anyway, the guitar should have a manual to help you adjust it. This will:

a) learn you how set it up yourself

b) save you the money you'd have spent on a pro setup

Anyway, good luck

By the way, as for pickups, before swapping anything, why not try your guitar through a tube amp once. You can always decide to swap them anyway, but it might change your opinion.
Thanks for the help. Although i've always intended to change the pick-ups, i'll find a tube amp to play on.
Quote by Vornik