I'm trying to get the chord fingering with the thumb over for major barres like hendrix/frusciante/mayer. i'm having problems with my flattened ring (3rd) finger over strings 4 and 5. when i flatten it, it tends to muffle/mute the 3rd string and i'm having problems. i don't have large hands, i'd say they are more on the smaller side, but not too small.

anyways how can i get this down? i'd really like to be able to start playing little wing/scar tissue. if anyone could give me some tips i'd appreciate it. thanks.
you don't necessarily need to grop the barre chords like that to play songs by those guitarists. It's just their way of fingering the chord. I'm not sure I understand why you're trying to get both the 4th and 5th strings with one finger. Use your pinky on one of them like this:
Say for a G Chord
|-3-I-|
|-3-I-|
|-4-M-|
|-5-P-|
|-5-R-|
|-3-T-|
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
you don't necessarily need to grop the barre chords like that to play songs by those guitarists. It's just their way of fingering the chord. I'm not sure I understand why you're trying to get both the 4th and 5th strings with one finger. Use your pinky on one of them like this:
Say for a G Chord
|-3-I-|
|-3-I-|
|-4-M-|
|-5-P-|
|-5-R-|
|-3-T-|

i thought my pinky needed to be free for hammer-on's and pull offs (chord fills)
G major without pinky:

-3-- index barred
-3-- see above
-4-- middle finger
-5-- ring finger
-x-- (muted by thumb)
-3-- thumb
Quote by Vomit Rapist
G major without pinky:

-3-- index barred
-3-- see above
-4-- middle finger
-5-- ring finger
-x-- (muted by thumb)
-3-- thumb

this isn't technically a major then if one of the strings is muted
Quote by BOBThaBuilda

The muted note is just the fifth. The third of the chord is still being played so it is still major
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
The muted note is just the fifth. The third of the chord is still being played so it is still major

And the fifth is still there, played on the B string, so all 3 notes of the G major chord are present, and the root is played in 3 different octaves.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
And the fifth is still there, played on the B string, so all 3 notes of the G major chord are present, and the root is played in 3 different octaves.

so people who chord majors this way are muting one string and creating fills with their pinkies?
Quote by BOBThaBuilda
so people who chord majors this way are muting one string and creating fills with their pinkies?

Pretty much yeah
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by BOBThaBuilda

1-3-5 all inside.